PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Load and Trim Sheet Question

SU-GCM
6th Dec 2009, 01:14
Hello

going through the example on Figure 4.13 at CAP 696 at the load and trim sheet
I am trying to understand why the 1820 KGs of Baggage have been divided into 600 in Compartment 1 , 1220 in Compartment 2

If part B of the Load and Trim sheet shows that Compartment 1 can take up to 3305 while Compartment B can have up to 4187 Why won't I put them all in 1 Compartment ???
And According to what do I divide them ?

Rainboe
6th Dec 2009, 06:54
Type of aircraft might be helpful!

Don't look at the load and balance in isolation. Do you have a Ground Handling Manual? A manual instructing ground staff how to load the aircraft? There should be a section giving instructions that baggage is usually loaded towards the rear, or in a certain proportion like 3/4 or 2/3 rear and the rest in the forward hold. Our model 737 requires all baggage in the rear with overflow in the front hold. It is done for balance reasons and better fuel economy when the load is more towards the rear. Start working some examples and you will see why.

j_davey
6th Dec 2009, 07:22
many reasons to split baggage, Ground Stability , Different baggage types eg: local/transfer , ease of offloading/loading , correcting a trim prob in case of pax mis-seating etc.... i have even come across Fuselage Sheer/Bending limitations.

but as rainboe asked, what aircraft type, how many passengers, etc...?

-jd

SU-GCM
6th Dec 2009, 09:21
Thanks for both replies however the Example on Figure 4.13 at CAP 696 don't show the a/c type nor any limitations on the loading !

If someone could download the CAP696 From http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP696.pdf

he could see the load and trim sheet and how the loads have been divided without mentioning any limitations or something which gives me the feeling that it is just a random example

Rainboe
6th Dec 2009, 12:57
See response 2. You just have to understand how to create a loadsheet based on the loading as supplied to you. Actually operator instruction on how the load is distributed is not part of your course at this stage, so you wouldn't be deciding how to distribute the load, only documenting it. Operator instructions vary, so don't worry about it now. But all operators favour rear centre of gravity for fuel efficiency reasons.

Keith.Williams.
6th Dec 2009, 13:16
It is unfortunate that the author of the CAP 696 decided to put the cargo in the forward hold and the baggage in the rear hold, but did not bother to explain why.

The positioning of loads will obviously affect the position of the C of G, so this must be taken into account when loading the aircraft. If for example all of the cargo and baggage had been put into the forward hold, this would have tended to move the C of G forward.

For the puroses of the JAR exams any load/trim sheet question will either take the form of a part completed load/trim sheet, or will state where the loads are to be placed.

punk666
6th Dec 2009, 14:24
I'm gathering it is an ATPL question.
The JAA ATPL exams are based on the B737, and like a previous poster mentioned they usually load up in the rear of the aircraft for fuel burn purposes. Having the baggage all in the front would make it nose heavy and having it all in the rear will make it tail heavy, its just common sense to even it out. Nose heavy aircraft have better stability but causes more drag.

SU-GCM
6th Dec 2009, 22:02
Thanks for all posters
it was confirmed today by my instructor that the mass is divided without a certain theory just randomly and while answering the question I can divide them with any method just taht they don't exceed the max for any compartment

Thank you all once more !