PDA

View Full Version : RIAT

Trout99uk
22nd Jan 2001, 03:58
Im sure some of you guys @ girls have got some good stories to tell about aishows like RIAT so lets hear them. For starters, sitting in MT section at fairford in 98, coach driver pulls up with 1 pax who he can not understand. Guy falls out of coach and is obviously pi$$ed. Try to talk to him but all he could say was Russian, Russian. Guy starts throwing up all over the shop. Sit him down and give him water. Tel boss to get on the phone to protacol and get the russian interpreter down here pronto. They can not find the interpreter he`s gone missing. Yes you guest it, he was the russian interpreter. turns out he went drinking with the russians, drinking russian vodka, and was trying to drink them under the table. Funny thing was we never saw him again. Dozy git or what.

------------------
Thank god cars dont fly.

AirfixPilot
22nd Jan 2001, 15:30
I can remember being on one of the Aircrew buses, with a load of European fast-jet guys (complete with a German with a HUGE handlebar mustache, drinking ale from a horn!) and they were all snorting something that they insisted was legal in their country. Laid one foriegn guy out for six!

Also, i might add, those of you who were at the Hangar Party in '99 who remember the first stage act? - We were the first to zap the female lead singer. Started a mad rush, because by the end of the evening you couldn't see a square centimetre on her that wasn't patched!!

We also prized the US number plate off the only US badged Land Rover we'd ever seen (Thought it was a travesty at the time)

PS: Anyone who came across a 612 VGS zap somewhere, leave a note - want to see who noticed!

Thud_and_Blunder
22nd Jan 2001, 18:56
(R)IAT? Yes, I have a story...

In the late 80s, as the proud owner of a shiny new ATPL(H), I had just started an instructional tour at Wallop. At that year's Open Day I met a very interesting TP/A2 QHI who'd just spent 4 years fixing up a Bell 205/UH1H that used to belong to the Argentines. He'd operated it around the FI for a short while after the Argentines capitulated - they'd abandoned it and all its paperwork on the racecourse at Stanley along with several others which were later merely vandalised. This fella had then, in the face of massive obstruction from his parent service, managed to have the Huey brought back to the UK. When his lords and masters found out what he'd done they immediately decided to ship it to one of the ranges as a target, but he persevered and set about restoring/maintaining it to display flying condition. The whole story is probably worthy of a book one day...

Anyway, part of the arrangement he put together for ensuring that the aircraft had a future was that the RAF agreed a transfer of ownership for a nominal sum (one pound, I think) to the Benevolent Fund. The subsidiary of the BF responsible for organising air shows - IAT - became the management agency.

For 3 years or so all was rosy. I was single with plenty of free weekends, had time on the 205, the pilot who'd done all the work was threatened with divorce or worse if he continued to spend all his spare time (and money?) on the beast so by sheer good fortune I became part of the display crew. Great fun at the airshows, even more fun at the steam fairs/ garden fetes/ open-air museums we flew to most summer weekends. The aircraft made an appearance in a James Bond film, and generally did tons to keep the RAF and IAT in the public eye.

So what happened next? Well, I don't know all the details, but it would appear that the management of IAT grew tired of the beastie. Balance sheets were drawn up which showed it to be a drain on resources. I'm partisan, so I can't be totally relied upon for a dispassionate view. However, I believed the bloke who'd done all the real work when he pointed out that it could still, with the available sponsorship, be used to bring in an income to the RAF BF.

One summer's day we took the aircraft to Farnborough - unusual tasking, as we weren't normally used for trade do's like SBAC. After putting the aircraft to bed the IAT management team approached the TP and asked to speak to him, alone, about the Huey. It turned out that the decision had been made, without consulting the bloke who'd effectively given all his spare time for 7 years to the project, to sell the aircraft. It was put up for auction; I don't know all the details, but I believe an offer was accepted which then fell through. When the TP tried to appeal to the hierarchy, he was interviewed without coffee and left in no doubt whatsoever that his efforts were unwelcome and in vain. He left the RAF.

I don't know where G-HUEY is now - she had an unceremonious part as a prop in a dreadful Wimminz anti-Vietnam (20 years after the war was over!) TV 'drama' and was later to be seen at, I believe, Thruxton mouldering sadly away. All the goodwill, all the free help from as far afield as Odiham, Jordan and Oman with free parts, all the good publicity with one of the few flying display aircraft with a real history - all thrown away on a management whim.

IAT? Wouldn't touch 'em. You won't see me at one of their rip-off displays. Not that I'd be missed any more than one of their more useful assets...

NB - All opinions expressed above are entirely Thud's; I've not consulted the TP or anyone else, and relied entirely on my own dodgy memory to put this tirade together. If anyone knows the facts better, please post them here.

VP8
22nd Jan 2001, 23:57
Last I saw of GHUEY or AE-412 was at Cranfield at last years PFA rally on the disused rwy looking all sorry for herself in a poor condition with the the pax area stuffed full of junk. Might take a trip up this weekend in the old 152 see if she is still there....

VBRGDS
VP8

UKAR
23rd Jan 2001, 13:22
Funniest thing I've experienced at RIAT was the time the airshow radio station played something they shouldn't have.

I was in the car trying to get out along with the other thousands of people and on the radio came a couple of lines of "I'm a w*nker" by Ivor Biggun. There was a silence and then a big appology but it made my day.

UKAR
23rd Jan 2001, 13:28
Another story concerns a show at Cranfield. The Bucc was due to display (remember them). It had started the engines and a ground crew member went to pull the chocs out but one of them was completely wedged. There were several frantic minutes as people tried to pull and kick to get the stubborn bugger out. Eventually someone got a crowbar and smashed it to get it out. It was one of the Bucc's last displays in the UK and I'd like to think it was just objecting to its impending retirement.

Gainesy
23rd Jan 2001, 14:10
T&B,
Pretty much ties in with what Bograt told me a coupla years ago; that lot,proverbial, touch? Nah.

Thirteen-Twelve
24th Jan 2001, 01:04
Can you still get recordings of Ivor Biggun singing i'm a wan*ker? I heard once over a PA on the back of I'm a window cleaner.

Is it on CD?

Didntdoit
4th Jul 2001, 17:00
Seeing as the Waddo 2001 thread has wandered into this direction and with the Show being 2 weeks away...

MOTF; you forgot to mention that kids with an adult go free. Doesn't happen at Alton Towers last time I looked.

EESDL; facts please, not guesses. I have it on very good authority that Gloucester Police charged over £200k for overtime for the 99 show. The Leic/Cambs/Northants triumverate wanted to charge a bit more. Puts 'bills' in perspective doesn't it? In spite of this, far from break even, the profit margin for Fairford shows has been, as I understand, well into 6 figures.

I fully recognise that almost £60 for a family is steep and not as affordable as it could be, but this does not seem to deter over 200k people, year-on-year, who by and large see it as VFM.

Biggest and best military airshow in the world?

Probably.

------------------
....wasn't there, you can't prove I did it!

[This message has been edited by Didntdoit (edited 04 July 2001).]

sprucemoose
4th Jul 2001, 17:34
Damn sight cheaper than taking them to see a Premiership football match ...

SlimJim
4th Jul 2001, 21:56
RIAT '95:

Guy in aircrew bus with his head out of the window as a torrential rainstorm made it's way across Fairford: "Come on people, it could be worse. It could be snowing!"

Art Field
5th Jul 2001, 00:28
Then there was this officer, who may now be something to do with RIAT, who wheedled his way onto a VC10 going to the Dayton Air Show. It was a hot day so he drank lots of the "orange juice and chocolate milk" thoughtfully provided by the Tanker crew. By the evening hanger bash he was found,resting peacefully , next to the portaloo's and a visit to see the RAF Wing Commander was considered to be an essential part of the evenings entertainment.

Red Snow
5th Jul 2001, 01:53
Did anyone here witness the famous racehorse incident involving our friends from the Sandy Kingdom?

Have heard the story a few times, but only about tenth-hand. I doubt if the truth is as good as the story, but you never know...

Descend to What Height?!?
5th Jul 2001, 13:23
Then at the 1993 40th anniversary Herc Meet at IAT, on the Friday Mr Lockheed invited all the herc crews round for lunch.
Free beer and wine went down in huge quantities, and people then objected when the bar shut and Mr Lockheed tried to get us to leave so they could clear up and get ready for a VIP tea.
Things got interesting. A US crew instigated a flag pole climbing competition, that the RAF and the Ausies joined in. The aim was to get all the Lockheed flags. Another crew decided to re open the bar, and things were generally getting out of hand.
There was then much marquee climbing and competitions to see how many people we could get on the roof. (Good for watching the Hungarian Mig 21 practice!) ;)
We left just as the Snow Drops arrived with their four legged assistants!
All in all a brilliant afternoons entertainment.
:) :) :)

We then went back, and well oiled entertained the Central TV news crew trying to be sensible on a live TV broadcast.
Oh those were the days......

Mind you we did take a lot of flack off Joe public last year at RIAT, as they blamed us for the gash weather http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

------------------
;-) It looked like a good idea at the time :-)

[This message has been edited by Descend to What Height?!? (edited 05 July 2001).]

jayteeto
5th Jul 2001, 14:41
After the hangar party a few years ago I woke up at 4 in the morning in a kiddies adventure playground, no idea where I was!
Found a phone box and called a very amused operator who told me I was in Cirencester. Eventually got a taxi after 2 hours who charged me £43.00 to the hotel. Please, can anyone tell me how I got there???????

kbf1
5th Jul 2001, 15:24
13-12 provide me with an email addy and I'll see if I can run you a copy.

My moooother said....
that I never should....
play with the naughty rude girlz in the wood.

Nah, I'll save it for the Sqn songs thread!

------------------
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own Satanic HERD!

Mad Pax
5th Jul 2001, 15:52
Tiger meet - Mr Magoo, who drove right between the Follow Me car and an F16.
My initial reaction on seeing the Mig mid air in '93 - 'fantastic, how did they do that?'.
Oh, and of course, the muppets. Descend to what height spoke of being blamed for last year's low cloud - we had Cadets being blamed too ! Muppets asking us if we could shift barriers closer to the runway and the like.
Airfixpilot - were you on the Staff site to the right of 2342's little compound? We were the ones that had tons of gizzits.
------------------
Oi got a bran' new comboine 'aarverster...

[This message has been edited by Mad Pax (edited 05 July 2001).]

tiggy
5th Jul 2001, 18:52
So what is the general opinion on this years RIAT theme of women in aviation?! A good opportunity to get more women to the airshow parties, or just more positive (/negative) discrimination?

AirfixPilot
5th Jul 2001, 22:09
Certainly was MP. Ah those were the days. I remember it well! Walking down the road to the social club, every pocket on the flying suit filled with tinnies, or 2ltr coke bottles full of bright orange home brew. You can carry almost 7ltrs of alcohol without using your hands, if you are careful (make sure you've got no lose stitching, especially across the shoulders).

Didntdoit
1st Aug 2001, 19:23
...and then there were the 'enthusiasts' at the end of the runway, who got too close to the B-ONE as it went to full reheat on its Friday practice. They got blown halfway into Lincs - bodies and cameras everywhere!!

Any other comments (non-flying) on RIAT 01?

Mad Pax
1st Aug 2001, 21:38
The two F15s on Monday, parked arse end very close to the wire by Park and View (Red) when they moved off and stripped the paint off two cars and a motorbike...
Or, the 'highly spirited' chap who tried to remove the 30 years of RIAT banner from the front of hangar D and ended up in a minor altercation with the Rangers - you know who you are ! :D

Wycombe
1st Aug 2001, 21:40
Yep, 4 of them ended up in the Med Centre with minor injuries....

Cheapskates, they should have turned up on Sunday to see the BONE do double rolls over the airfield....fantastic.

Cheers - from a (now back at day job) RIAT volunteer

Talking Radalt
1st Aug 2001, 21:58
Apparently biggest sense of humour failure goes to the Navy....Guys, it's only a bloody model!

Mad Pax
1st Aug 2001, 22:36
And the jolly green that wrecked two tents (inc the first aid tent) and caused a barrier to bounce off the front of the SWAT team's transit. :eek:

Man-on-the-fence
2nd Aug 2001, 00:56
Speaking of the SWAT team(s)

From one member of the barrier team a BIG BIG thank you.

Things got a little hairy on Friday night, but you guys (and gals) were truly awesome.

Ansd as for Monday, I have never seen cones move so fast :D

We couldnt have done it without you.
:cool:

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Man-on-the-fence ]

Mad Pax
2nd Aug 2001, 01:36
MOTF - I'll pass your comment to the SWAT boss - incidentally, were those cones on Green, Fawn, Blue south & north and Red?

Skylark 4 BLW
2nd Aug 2001, 04:17
To all the participants at RIAT this year can I offer my grateful thanks. As a sort of 'unofficial volunteer' (hope/ intend to be fully official next year!), I had a wonderful time and the day job now seems very dull by comparison.

I saw the B1B incident on the Friday, but thanks for whoever posted the bit about the F15s on Monday. I saw their departure from the fighter apron and nearly got run over by the Police cars, now I know why! Please tell though what happened to the Navy's aircraft carrier model...??

Oh yeah one other thing, the Hanger party on Saturday night - top party!!! Wish I'd bought my 'grow-bag' with me to RIAT and never seen squadron zaps put to such good use!

As for the flying, for me the Hungarian Mig 29 walks off with top prize, closely followed by the CF18.

I know its fashionable to knock things these days, but guys from one grateful enthusiast, I fully appreciate your time etc spent bringing these toys for us to look at it. Speaking of that the female Turkish F16 pilot was a bit of alright wasnt she...!!!

Finally not a lot of people know this, but the First Officer in the second FRADU Falcon sent me solo in a glider many years ago! Congratulations Caroline if you're reading this!

Wycombe
2nd Aug 2001, 12:05
Skylark,

CVS model was located Monday morning hidden in a garage behind VAS.

As we left on Tues am, we had vehicles searched by the Feds as apparently a large aeroplane model had also gone "missing" - don't know details!

Man-on-the-fence
2nd Aug 2001, 12:31
Mad Pax

Friday night they were behind the F-16's at the western end (mostly around C-130's)They had to call it a day at about 10ish. We went on until the job was done, finally turning in at about 4am :eek:

Monday they were hoovering cones from everywhere !!

I now have a whole new perspective on Spacey's ;)

AllTrimDoubt
2nd Aug 2001, 12:46
As a Navy pilot, our carriers shouldn't be that hard to "acquire" - they're smaller than everyone else's!

Mad Pax
2nd Aug 2001, 13:59
Skylark - yes, the 'Hawian Crew' were there with zaps in abundance and were there for the brunette dancer before the last band started - the RAFBF heart zaps were very popular. Did anyone see the all female aircrew from the Israeli herc? The Navy incident would explain the number of snowdrops screaming around that morning - wasn't us...

rivetjoint
2nd Aug 2001, 14:41
Just wait until next year when its back at RAF Fairford.....ah bliss!

Wycombe
2nd Aug 2001, 21:05
Mad Pax,

Not wanting to split hairs, but the lovely ladies (a whole crew of 8 of them) were from the South African Albert. There was no Isreali participation at RIAT.

EGTB

Mad Pax
2nd Aug 2001, 21:27
Wycombe, sorry, you are right, I didn't see them myself, but my boss raved about their presence at the Gala Dinner. (Goes off to review geography...) :confused:

Strobin' Purple
2nd Aug 2001, 23:48
Wycombe

Re missing model of Ark Royal: for 'garage at the back of VAS', read in 'the back of the Chinook' about to grace the 18 Sqn crewroom for the rest of its natural, (which would be until the next piano burning).

Picture arb Cottesmore Sqn Ldr confronting crews of any ac capable of spiriting away a 10'/200lb model on Mon am "anyone seen my Ark Royal?".

Wycombe
3rd Aug 2001, 11:46
Strobes,

Sorry, just going on info received by phone from the Feds on Monday am - perhaps it ended up in the garage after it was recovered from the cabin of your tandem rotored beastie!

Pity, as it would have been particularly appropriate to your future home in Somerset!

Swept
3rd Aug 2001, 14:01
GR aircrew stood in front of a plastic GR4 at RIAT 2001. Along comes an RAF 2 star, panama hat etc etc. greets his trusty men and says 'lovely looking aircraft. bloody clean and shiny isn't it?' and strolls away leaving the boys flabbergasted :eek:

Eagle 1
3rd Aug 2001, 14:35
Hey Guys,
I came home yesterday from Cottesmore after moving miles of fencing and covering acres of car parks and taxi ways of FOD. Apart from that I had an exelent time as part of the ATC continjent. May I apologise to all the Aircrew who were pestered from some of our cadets for your patches :rolleyes:

Any way, I'm glad I went and I cant wait for Fairford next year.

:) Eagle 1 :)

Mad Pax
3rd Aug 2001, 18:25
Now, who pinched our Knights Templar flag from the Staff side of the field?