PDA

View Full Version : International Jumpseating

flybywire44
29th Nov 2009, 23:58
I am a DAL Connection pilot.

Has anyone had any success jumpseating in the on Vietnam Airlines, Siem Riep Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Thai Air International, Turkish, Air India or Jet Airways?

I'm thinking about Ho Chi Minh City, Delhi and Istanbul with a detour in Siem Riep. Additionally, are Australian carriers jumpseat friendly to a Delta Connection pilot?

Thanks.

SOPS
30th Nov 2009, 08:35
Wont happen my friend.Its a USA only thing.

MANAGP
30th Nov 2009, 08:54
flybywire44

No offence but how would you view my request to jumpseat on your flight?

mickyman
30th Nov 2009, 13:43
Is it an Olympic sport yet ?

MM

ashlea
30th Nov 2009, 19:23
US only thing = not true,unless you're talking about travelling free?

You can easily take a jumpseat on Etihad for example to Delhi or Istanbul via AUH, but will need a friend in the airline to get you an ID90 seat.

Wyle E Coyote
1st Dec 2009, 17:16
Do you have jumpseat agreements with those Airlines?

Some countries don't view jumpseating pilots favourably and require you to have a ticket (whether you pay or not).

The Jumpseat agreement outlines the procedures you have to follow with each airline. So the fact that you've asked, leads me to believe that there are no formal agreements in place, so it sounds like your chances are slim and none.

Reimers
4th Dec 2009, 15:13
The term jumpseat ride describes two different things.

In the US you get a jumpseat ride so you don't have to buy a ticket. You will sit on regular pax seats or perhaps on a cabin jumpseat, but not in the flight deck as it is prohibited.
Spain and a few other countries also allow the crew/the captain to carry someone for free. An agreement between carriers might have to be in place.

Elsewhere you purchase an ID ticket. When the flight turns out to be fully booked, rather than staying behind, you request a jumpseat. These may or may not be cockpit jumpseats, and cabin jumpseats, and are offered at the captains/crew's decision. The ground staff will still take your ticket.

Often, these two practices seem to get confused on PPruNe.

lpokijuhyt
4th Dec 2009, 16:20
The actual jumpseat cannot be used by you to travel internationally...if that is your aim. HOWEVER, the term "jumpseating" has come to mean simply sitting in an open seat. This can be done internationally....but you need to be on a US carrier, i.e. Delta, NW, American, US Airways, etc. If you go to KLM, Iberia, Aeroflot, etc, be prepared for a serious deer in the headlights look when you ask to jumpseat. This is an American thing. Use American carriers to jumpseat. All that codeshare crap doesn't mean squat because ultimately the ticket issuer is going to give you the ticket and a non-USA ticket person is not going to know what the hell you are attempting to do. Trust me, I know. I "jumpseated" , i.e. rode the open seat across the Atlantic for 2 years. Good luck

newty74
11th Apr 2010, 03:18
I'm a US based pilot. I've jumpseats around argentina no problem. They have a completely different procedure than the American/Canadian deal. But they take jumpseaters.

Be nice, to them, drop off a card so they can bug ya if they're ever jumpseating in the USA. A few Argentina pilots are a bit pissed that the jumpseat is randomly denied to foreign pilots.