PDA

View Full Version : Importing Ex USA

desert goat
28th Nov 2009, 05:58
Can anyone here offer some advice on what is involved in bringing a light single in from the US in a sea container, particularly with regard to costs, export CofA requirements, good/bad agents or freight handlers to go through etc? It seems a good time to go shopping, what with the high Aussie $ and lots of american aircraft owners being broke:ok:

Frank Arouet
28th Nov 2009, 06:16
Try this link. Freight Forwarding Air or Sea - Customs Clearance - Warehousing & Distribution - World Wide Customs & Forwarding Agents (http://www.wwcf.com.au/container.html)

Bloke trying to fill a 40' high top container ex west coast now. Holds 3 singles I believe. PM me if you want his details.

longrass
29th Nov 2009, 00:30
G'day mate,

Try doing a search on here, this topic has been covered in great detail and slot of the members will/can/maybe of great assistance to you, if you can't find what your looking for, then just ask away!!!

Onya...

Rich-Fine-Green
29th Nov 2009, 07:22
Ferry or Shipping container - Make sure ALL paperwork (export CofA etc.), All ADs and SBs are completed before you buy.

Will save lots of tears and $$ this side of the Pacific.

havick
29th Nov 2009, 11:14
it's definately worth the money spent on sending a LAME (experienced in importing aircraft, and MOST importantly experienced working on type) over to do a pre-purchase inspection.. looking at the books, arranging the export CofA and paperwork at this end and as previously making sure all AD's are done and signed off etc etc... what seems like a lot of money to get all this done will probably save you 5 fold come crunch time when the machine rocks up on your doorstep..

Mach E Avelli
30th Nov 2009, 03:13
Also if you buy privately, you will need to find someone who knows how to pull it apart and crate it so that it does not get damaged in transit. I had to walk away from several really nice Sonexes last year because the sellers had no idea (even though they built the things) and no suitable contacts to do the packing, and I did not have the time to find someone. The USA is a huge place, so figure in finding your dream ship on one side of the country but flying it to the other side to prepare it for shipping. The nice aircraft always seem to be tucked away in obscure places off the main airline trunk routes. Looking at several prospects soon becomes expensive and time consuming.
IMHO, by the time you figure in all the costs, unless you are spending above $100,000 on your dream machine, the percentage of these add-ons against the total value does not make sound financial sense.