PDA

View Full Version : >150knot fixed wing with door/hatch off

mickjoebill
26th Nov 2009, 02:17
I have a filming assignment where I need to shoot air to air at <150 knots,
Kit I need to use is a cineflex gimbal, mounted on the floor and shooting out of a suitable aperture. Camera won't be in the slipstream.
What are the speed restrictions on flying with a hatch or door off a Caravan?

Other suggestions for aircraft type that are >150 knot capable with door/hatch off are welcome.
Job will be out of Mexicali airport.

Mickjoebill

Vanpilot
26th Nov 2009, 13:38
It will be fine.....maybe call they guys at airmed at oxford. They should be able to help you out.

Caravan is limited to around that speed with the door open anyway , so should work well for you.

PM if you need any more help

mickjoebill
27th Nov 2009, 07:24
Thanks Van Pilot

Mickjoebill

gordon field
28th Nov 2009, 20:50
The guys at Oxford don't have one of their own, they only operate one for a private owner. There's been one down at Gloucester with a suitable mod.

jetopa
29th Nov 2009, 14:16
In the US there is a well known photographer named Paul Bowen (he even published a book - title 'air to air' if I'm not mistaken). He shoots out of the tailgunner position from a WW II bomber, I think it's a B24 Liberator. Should have no problem flying at speeds > 150 kts.

Finals19
29th Nov 2009, 16:19
Mickjoebill

You have a PM. :ok:

MikeNYC
30th Nov 2009, 00:57
There's always Vectorvision, depending on your budget and needs:

Wolfe Air - Vectorvision (http://www.wolfeair.com/wa_templates/wa-vectorvision.html)
Vector Vision VectorVision by Netttmann Systems (http://www.camerasystems.com/vectorvision.htm)

May be overkill for your needs though.

mickjoebill
1st Dec 2009, 11:27
Mickjoebill

You have a PM.

Sorry finals nothing received.

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
1st Dec 2009, 22:21
Yes, Vector vision is very good for the higher altitude work and for wide angle low level work , but its camera system cant do big closeups from a distance.
A stabilised TV gimbal can have a 22x or 42x zoom. What we are shooting is a doc so big closeups are important.

The snakecam system fitted to an Aero Commander 700 fits between heli and lear jet speeds is a good option.

Mickjoebill

MikeNYC
2nd Dec 2009, 00:09
Mickjoebill,

Good point about long shots. If you'd definitely like to stick with Cineflex, are you familiar with Helinet's Cineflex mounted on a Cessna 210? Cessna 210 Movie Production Helicopter Charter Features (http://www.helinet.com/fleet_production_210.php) . Mexicali is a short hop from where the aircraft is based outside LA. Should be able to do 170+ kts. Good luck!

mickjoebill
2nd Dec 2009, 05:38
Thanks Misler,

I'm in touch with Helinet, another option that has surfaced is a Caravan, where 165 knots has been achieved I'm reliably informed.

mickjoebill

mickjoebill
2nd Dec 2009, 05:44
Thanks Misler,

I'm in touch with Helinet, another option that has surfaced is a Caravan, where good results have been achieved I'm reliably informed.

mickjoebill

lk978
3rd Dec 2009, 20:24
Caravan limited to 159 knots with cargo door off, i have one with single point restraints and harness if you need