PDA

View Full Version : New Dynon Skyview

VH-XXX
23rd Nov 2009, 22:38
These are due out shortly.

Why am I getting excited? Because they are dirt CHEAP like really CHEAP. You'd probably pay multiple 10's of thousands for a certified equivalant.

Dynon Avionics - SkyView Intro (http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_Video.html)

The Green Goblin
24th Nov 2009, 01:18
What a great bit of kit!!!

Will that give terrain in IMC? Would make IFR flying a dream (and mountain flying in places like PNG a little easier!!)

Jabawocky
24th Nov 2009, 01:48
Agreed OS

And as discussed privately, I think its great gear, but it can be seen two ways. Might help save some bastards life one day by giving them what they need to avoid smacking into the top of a hill. Or it may encourage cowboy topguns in their VFR only ops to push further into trouble thinking they have the tools to do so, just like the military boys can.

Double edged sword.

Still if I was in your shoes on your production schedule I would be doubling my Dynon budget for the Skyview. The Classic though is still better bang for buck, but hey the new gear looks the goods!

J

vme
24th Nov 2009, 02:09
from the Dynon website:::

Australian Government Approves Dynon's Instruments

The Australian government Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) recently released a letter stating that all of Dynon's EFIS and EMS systems may be fitted as non-required equipment in certified aircraft. While it cannot replace an existing required instrument or display, it may be installed as a backup instrument as long as it does not contravene the design standard of the certified aircraft.
Dynon is very excited to see the progressive view of the Australian government. We believe their position largely coincides with that of the vast majority of pilots and aircraft owners we have visited with over the past few years who see great value in using our equipment as backup instrumentation.
Dynon's Australian representative, Tony Brand from Horsham Aviation Services, has noted what a great development this represents to enhancing safety and also saving his customers costly repairs. Having replaced many failed mechanical gyros over the years, he feels the Dynon's solid-state EFIS systems will greatly enhance safety as backups to the traditional attitude instruments. He also noted a particular instance where Dynon's EMS-D10 engine monitor detected an engine problem that had previously gone undetected. This finding ultimately saved the aircraft owner many thousands of dollars.
It remains to be seen whether the FAA will someday agree with CASA's position. The recent major concessions to the traditional certification methods for Light Sport Aircraft which accept non-certified avionics for VFR operations together with CASA's recent announcement may be an early signal of change for the future. Only time will tell.

VH-XXX
24th Nov 2009, 02:31
I've seen that on their site and I have no idea what the point of it is....... I would have thought that you could put ANY non-tso'ed instrument in as long as it's not replacing a tso'ed one. It just appears to be marketing hype.

Deaf
24th Nov 2009, 02:45
Have a D10 in a J160 (certified) since new. Has a sign "uncalibrated instrument" etc. Also came with a falcon? altimeter which was presumably what you were supposed to use.

After about 18 months it was obvious what was more reliable and trustworthy.

LeadSled
24th Nov 2009, 03:50
Aspen Avionics: EFD1000 Pro PFD + EFD1000 MFD System (http://www.aspenavionics.com/index.php/products/PFDplusMFD/)
Folks,
Have a look at Aspen, particularly for amazingly easy retrofit for certified (TSO'd/CAO) requirements --- and given the "cost of ownership" of all the instruments they replace, they are also cheap --- to own and operate.
The STC list covers just about anything with wings.
Tootle pip!!

VH-XXX
24th Nov 2009, 04:14
Have a D10 in a J160 (certified) since new. Has a sign "uncalibrated instrument" etc. Also came with a falcon? altimeter which was presumably what you were supposed to use.

After about 18 months it was obvious what was more reliable and trustworthy.

You can use anything you like in the Jab as none of the instruments are certified in them except for the Transponder if fitted.

Labelling with "uncalibrated instrument" on the D10 and "Transponder not calibrated" saves them a hundred and a half when they build the aircraft as they don't pay for the rad-47, that's your responsibility. It would be nice to think that when you pay $100k for a brand new aircraft that your transponder is actually ready to use: dream on.

The point of this discussion in my mind is the cost. These units are more like $5k than the $25k+ that you'd need for a TSO'ed one.

Jabawocky
24th Nov 2009, 04:18
Nice Gear from Aspen indeed Leadsled.

I think Owen Stanley is well qualified to comment on its performance in IMC in southern parts of Australia :eek:.

J

We shall see how we go in the run to RLL ;).

.........and i wonder if they should be offered as a back up for long over water jet medivacs :oh:

PLovett
24th Nov 2009, 05:45
Having had the privilege of flying a 210 which had the Dynon D10 and EMS fitted as standby instruments I concur that they perform much better than the old steam driven stuff which is "certified".:ugh:

I believe that Dynon does, or intends to, release certified systems later but at present they don't wish to certify because it means that for the present they can upgrade their product without the expense of certifying any change.

It is fantastic stuff to use.:ok:

bushy
24th Nov 2009, 12:15
And I reckon something like that would have prevented the Lockhart River, and other prangs. The sooner they get into general use the better. They will sell thousands of them.

Howard Hughes
25th Nov 2009, 08:54
Or it may encourage cowboy topguns in their VFR only ops to push further into trouble thinking they have the tools to do so, just like the military boys can.

Three should do it, one with it's own independent power supply...:E

gassed budgie
25th Nov 2009, 11:41
These are due out shortly.

I wonder if Jabawocky has room in the Retard Vehicle for one of these babies???

Why am I getting excited? Because they are dirt CHEAP like really CHEAP. You'd probably pay multiple 10's of thousands for a certified equivalant.

Was going to put this piece of kit in the 210. Unfortunately, even with the 7" screen it won't fit in the R/H side of the panel. The unit is about 1/2 an inch to big. Bummer.

Arnold E
27th Nov 2009, 21:54
Then dont read every second post........... cheeeez

And actually my 1.2 seater is even better.........so there!

Jabawocky
28th Nov 2009, 11:52
Onya Arnie :ok::D

At least we have something to contribute! even if only about 15-20 people on hear appreciate it........yes they do....just silent most of the time.

So Wanabe.....what contribution have you to make? :ugh: