PDA

View Full Version : Runway resurfacing underway EGCF

Mondo
23rd Nov 2009, 19:41
Delighted to say the heavy gang have moved in today (Mon 23rd Nov)to resurface the runway at Sandtoft. The contractor is the same guy who did Sherburn which was a very good job. Look forward to much smoother landings. We were originally quoted around one week but the projected finishing date now appears to be the 4th Dec. There is a competition running for the first landing on the new tarmac. Having positioned an aircraft last thing Sunday night I think Steve Hall and myself can claim to have made the last landing on the old runway for what thats worth!
Regards Ray.

Han 1st Solo
23rd Nov 2009, 21:36
About bleeding time, exactly what Sandtoft needs. Should make Sandtoft a great little airfield to fly from. Nowhere near as much fun with no potholes to dodge though! :ok:

flybymike
23rd Nov 2009, 22:56
Would be even better if they made it a bit wider while they were at it.:ooh:

MichaelJP59
24th Nov 2009, 08:42
There is a competition running for the first landing on the new tarmac.

I have this image of dozens of aircraft in the circuit, waiting for the guy with the white paintbrush to finish the numbers. It's taking a while because he's having to duck for the go-arounds.

As mine is based there I guess I can't win because I'd have to take off first:(

Phli4fun
24th Nov 2009, 09:22
I spotted the heavy gang yesterday, planing the old surface off the runway and carting it away in huge trucks. What happens to all the old tarmac, is it re-constituted somehow, and brought back, or is it consigned to landfill ?

Does anyone remember if the runway ever been relaid, or have we been flying from the original wartime surface ?

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

lastgasp
24th Nov 2009, 09:40
The old tarmac removed is called "scalpings" and is used as a base layer for new roads, drives etc.

Oldpilot55
24th Nov 2009, 11:12
Its a nice little airfield, Sandtoft. They have taken a brave decision to invest in the current economic climate. I hope they do well.

flybymike
24th Nov 2009, 12:25
Does anyone remember if the runway ever been relaid, or have we been flying from the original wartime surface ?

I may be wrong but I think the runway is in fact an old wartime taxiway and was never intended to be a runway in the first place, hence as I previously intimated, relatively narrow.

MichaelJP59
24th Nov 2009, 14:24
I may be wrong but I think the runway is in fact an old wartime taxiway and was never intended to be a runway in the first place, hence as I previously intimated, relatively narrow.

Correct, it's part of the old peri-track. The main runways are covered in cars and industrial estate, like so many ex-RAF runways. Plenty wide enough for light GA though.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/MichaelJP59/Sandtoft.jpg

Mickey Kaye
24th Nov 2009, 18:01
Are they justs relying the runway or are they doig anything else like a parallel taxyway?

140KIAS
24th Nov 2009, 18:34
Anyone have any idea what sort of order of magnitude of cost is involved in something like this ? I know a few other places that could benefit from similar treatment.