PDA

View Full Version : looking for bush pilot (instructor?) at or near Warnervale

John Hagtharp
22nd Nov 2009, 23:55
I've recently based my '57 C-172 at Somersby, a 700 metre natural surface strip just north of Sydney near Warnervale. It has a 2% slope, surrounding trees that cause potential wind sheer and a windsock that does not necessarily reflect what's happening where you touch down.

I landed there yesterday in fairly challenging conditions and, although safe, it was far from pretty. I'm left thinking I would benefit from some dual time with a good bush pilot. It could be an instructor but would not need to be.

Can anyone recommend someone not too far away? I think there's a suitable old instructor at Curtis Aviation (Camden) but if I want to practice on my own strip, it would chew up time and money flying back and forth.

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Nov 2009, 02:02
G'day John

I am pretty sure there is an affilliation between the owners of Somersby and a flying school based in the Hunter - they are currently developing plans for an RAAus school there, and will be using YSMB as a remote strip for Commercial Pilot C206 training.

Why dont you ask PP who he would recommend?

Cheers

:ok:

Orion Delta
23rd Nov 2009, 02:30
Hi John,

Why don't you give the guys at Warnervale Air a buzz? If memory serves me correct, Warnervale is only 5 mins flight time to YSMB. They will teach you alot of stuff and they will throw all sorts of scenarios at you - priceless

Rossy
23rd Nov 2009, 04:58
im with orion delta, give YWVA a shot.,,

Rojer Wilco
24th Nov 2009, 19:37
Check your PM!

Aerodynamisist
24th Nov 2009, 21:20
Just "Pretty sure" horatio that hunter valley school was there last time I was down your way fancy new bulding and all.

John Hagtharp
25th Nov 2009, 08:29
Thanks for the responses guys. I also received a couple of good PMs regarding this. I think I'll spend some more time on this forum.