PDA

View Full Version : Gift for a CFI

AviatorVette
21st Nov 2009, 07:22
Hi guys, I am almost done with my flight training.. have my commercial checkride next week ( single and multi ). I have had the same flight instructor since I started. I want to buy him a gift before I leave. I have absolutely no idea what to get him. I am also a student so I really cant spend too much, below $100 I guess. Any suggestions?

mad_jock
21st Nov 2009, 07:46
Booze of some form. If he is a beer monster lots of beer, if not a decent bottle of wine.

Or if he has DC headset a new padded head band.

Or take him out for a decent meal.

And a daft thing some might say but make up a certificate on your computer along the lines this is to show that CFI xxxxx has gone beyond the call of duty of Instructing by getting xxxxx through from zero to hero without him crashing.

To be honest on a FI's wages the best gift I ever got was a box of frozen meat off a farmer student with 3 huge bags of frozen frys. It must of been home kill Aberdeen Angus beef, it was bloody delicious.

Droste
24th Nov 2009, 06:08
I have met students around the world.

Generally, filthy rich students can be quite generous. I should say, most are Asian students. If you treat them nice, F.I. will be rewarded.

The most generous I have met is a wealthy Taiwanese student from one of the part 141 schools in AZ. As soon as this Taiwanese chap got his licence, he treated his American instructor with his wife for 4 days holiday at Hawaii.

For, AviatorVette, I suggest buy him a meal. Get a picture taken with him and frame it up. Sent it to him before you leave.

Whirlybird
24th Nov 2009, 07:52
One of my students took me for a meal at a really nice restaurant after he got his PPL(H). It was a while ago, but I still remember it. :ok:

Dudley Henriques
24th Nov 2009, 13:21
I never stopped pushing for a Ferrari :-)) but usually ended up with the quart of wine which as it turns out, from my experience anyway, to be the classic gift for an instructor.
Of all the students I ever had, and all the gifts they gave me, wine was definately the most offered and the most appreciated. It doesn't kill the student financially, says "thank you" in a nice way, and is considered the world over as a classic gift for such occasions.
Dudley Henriques

AviatorVette
24th Nov 2009, 19:34
Wine sounds good, dont know what kind he would like though.

Dudley Henriques
24th Nov 2009, 20:38
Just pick out a good one. I'd ask for one not too dry or not too sweet.......right in the middle. White goes with fish usually and red with meat.
Most CFI's are meat eaters (when they can afford it that is. :-)

Dudley Henriques

AviatorVette
24th Nov 2009, 21:25
I decided to buy him an emporio armani watch
Retails for $300+ .. found a good deal for $120

Amazon.com: Emporio Armani Watch Men's Leather Strap AR0540 - WW: Watches (http://www.amazon.com/Emporio-Armani-Watch-Leather-AR0540/dp/B000SNURHA/ref=pd_sbs_watch_3)

Dudley Henriques
24th Nov 2009, 22:02
I decided to buy him an emporio armani watch
Retails for $300+ .. found a good deal for $120

If you need any more dual, give me a call. :-))))))))))))))))

Dudley Henriques

Talkdownman
24th Nov 2009, 22:15
Of all the students I have ever had one gave me a ten quid tip and another invited me to his engagement party. No wine or watches so far......
I think my conscience is clear as far as the HMRC is concerned!

AviatorVette
25th Nov 2009, 05:58
lol, thx for ur help.