PDA

View Full Version : airspace classification more than 12 nm off shore

rsiano
21st Nov 2009, 01:33
Hi,
I am an instructor teaching International Procedures Recurrent at FlightSafety Teterboro.
I am searching for an answer to this question...
In the USA Airspace A extends from FL180 to FL600. However, US Airspace A ends 12 nm off
shore (or does it extend further than 12 nm?). If I fly to a point 13 miles off shore, can I climb under VFR
to FL 610?...I have asked a lot of experienced pilots that question this week and no one seems to know the answer.

Here is the definition of Airspace A from the Airmans Information Manual (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/Chap3/aim0302.html#3-2-2):

"3-2-2. Class A Airspace

a. Definition. Generally, that airspace from 18,000 feet MSL up to and including FL 600, including the airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous States and Alaska; and designated international airspace beyond 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous States and Alaska within areas of domestic radio navigational signal or ATC radar coverage, and within which domestic procedures are applied."

The words in bold type make my understanding of the definition unclear. For example, it leads me to believe Airspace A may extend further than 12 nm off shore? If it does, how does a pilot know where it ends? The AIM also states in 3-2-2 c: "Charts. Class A airspace is not specifically charted."

I have always had an interest in VFR operations and the question is the result of that interest...What kind of airspace exists more than 12 nm off shore and will it permit VFR operations?

Thanks!
Dick

no sig
22nd Nov 2009, 20:15
Dick,

Interesting question. US designated class A airspace may, generally, end at 12nm, but responsibility for seperation and control within a US FIR/UIR, which does extend beyond 12nms, will impose restrictions on VFR (uncontrolled) flight and may be treated as Class A airspace or under ICAO procedures. The lower and upper limits of these FIR/UIR's and Oceanic Control Areas CTA is annotated on airways charts, e.g New York Oceanic CTA starts at FL55 to unlimited.

This part of the AIM covers it I'd say;

'and designated international airspace beyond 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous States and Alaska within areas of domestic radio navigational signal or ATC radar coverage, and within which domestic procedures are applied',

VFR flight is of course possible beyond 12nms; however, dependant on the FIR/UIR concerned there will be vertical and lateral limits of controlled airspace which could/would impose restrictions on free flight. For example, ICAO procedures and equipment required within MNPSA airspace would prohibit a VFR climb to FL600.

So, in summary- once you fly outside of US Class A airspace over the ocean you enter the world of ICAO procedures, which may still be controlled by the US as one of your FIR/UIR's of responsibility- that is until you enter into another FIR/UIR where another States domestic procedures will apply. The upper and lower limts will be defined in their AIP/AIM documents and would always be printed on en-route charts.

None
28th Nov 2009, 02:14
While you are answering these types of questions to pilots going through recurrent or initial, perhaps you might find it worthwhile to remind them that the US DOD has protocol for handling aircraft approaching or inside the ADIZ.

If someone operates out there VFR with a discrete code from ATC, they'll get a some attention. If they operate without talking to anyone, the level of attention will be...more interesting.

Also, remind your trainees that those Warning areas off the coast would be Restricted areas if they were in domestic airspace. What's going on in the Warning areas? Highspeed maneuvering (in excess of Mach 1) at all altitudes (as published), air-air live gunnery, air-air live missile shoots, and that kind of thing. There could be a lot of interesting commands from TCAS, and I will guess that TCAS will not know how to handle some of the conflicts that could appear.

hvogt
28th Nov 2009, 16:29
Dick,

I think a look into ICAO Annex 11, Chapter 2, Section 2.1 (especially the notes) will point you into the right direction.

In case you do not already have it, here is a link: http://dcaa.slv.dk:8000/icaodocs/

rsiano
28th Nov 2009, 20:40
Hi Hvogt,
Thanks for taking an interest in my question. I have accessed the ICAO annexes at the Danish web site many times. Most pilots are not aware they exist on line and get frustrated when they discover ICAO will only sell expensive hard copies of the Annexes. However, the Annexes do not make it easy for the pilot to determine what the classification of the airspace is at a point more than 12 nm off shore. What is it? Airspace A? If it is Airspace A, then by definition VFR is not an option. What words in the Annex 11 tell you it is Airspace A? Lets look at a specific point 13 nm off shore of JFK Airport...Is the airspace at that point classified as Airspace A?
Thanks!
Captain Dick Siano

no sig
29th Nov 2009, 00:27
Dick

I don't have the charts for New York FIR's to hand, but I think you'll find that outside of domestic airspace when you enter the NY Oceanic control area FIR/UIR you are within ICAO Class G airspace when below the lower limit of the designated controlled airspace which is FL55 to unltd, above the lower limit of the CTA/OCA you enter ICAO designated Class A airspace which is also subject to special oceanic control procedures and state approvals for operators. These are defined in the appropriate manuals, you'll also find it in Jepps.

See here for the US areas and the North Atlantic

Oceanic Airspace (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/2009-11-19/Part3,%20Sec%202.cfm)

NAO Chapter 1. Description of Airspace (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/NAO/NAOC01.HTM)

http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/MNPSA/MNPSA_2008.pdf[/url]

hvogt
30th Nov 2009, 21:00
Hi Dick,

my first post in reply to your question was written in a bit of a rush, as I was sitting at the airport waiting for a flight. But I think I can answer your question now.

According to 2.1.2 of ICAO Annex 11 those states having accepted the responsibility to provide air traffic services over the high seas, i. e. beyond the 12 miles zone, shall arrange for the services to be established and provided in accordance with the provisions of Annex 11. This includes the responsibility to classify the airspace in accordance with 2.6.1 of Annex 11.

If the USA has accepted said responsibilities for the FIRs adjoining its territorial waters, which I presume it has (I could not find the respective regional air navigation agreement), then the classification of offshore airspace would have to be carried out according to US provisions.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of US law is not unlimited but after a brief Internet search I can tell you that on your side of the pond airspace is classified according to Code of Federal Regulations, Title 14, Chapter I, part 71 (2009 CFR Title 14, Volume 2 (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/14cfr71_09.html)). If you take a look at FAA Order 7400.9T (http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7400.9T.pdf) you will find a complete listing of both domestic US and offshore airspace designations.

To put the answer to your question straight: Class A airspace does not end at 12 NM from the shoreline. It extends beyond the territorial waters, as all the other classes of airspace do. Therefore VFR flights should be possible in offshore airspace areas as long as the airspace is classified accordingly. In most cases this will be true for low altitudes below 5500 ft respectively FL55, as no_sig has already pointed out.

Best regards,
hvogt

Robert1993
10th Dec 2009, 03:11
I believe that when offshore and dealing with a track system or charted airway,
it would be Class F airspace whereby ATC tries to provide IFR separation when practical, but does not have executive authority because it is beyond the territorial limits (12 miles) of the country. This is also why we don't speak directly to a country's air traffic controller but to an intermediary such as ARINC, which relays to an air traffic controller. ATC is referred to as ATS, or Air Traffic Advisory Service and the usual transponder code for an IFR aircraft is 2000.
Away from a track or an airway, it would be Class G.
Anyone can fly through Class F or G without coordinating with air traffic services.
That's my take.

rsiano
12th Dec 2009, 02:03
I just discovered as a result of several of the comments here, there is no Class A airspace in the state of Hawaii...and there are parts of Alaska without Airspace A. Other places as well. See:

14 CFR Ch. I (1–1–09 Edition)
§ 71.33
Class A airspace areas.
(a) That airspace of the United States, including that airspace over- lying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous States, from 18,000 feet MSL to and in- cluding FL600 excluding the states of Alaska and Hawaii, Santa Barbara Is- land, Farallon Island, and the airspace south of latitude 25°04′00′′ North.
(b) That airspace of the State of Alaska, including that airspace over- lying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast, from 18,000 feet MSL to and including FL600 but not includ- ing the airspace less than 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth and the Alaska Peninsula west of longitude 160°00′00′′ West.
(c) The airspace areas listed as off- shore airspace areas in subpart A of FAA Order 7400.9S (incorporated by ref- erence, see § 71.1) that are designated in international airspace within areas of domestic radio navigational signal or ATC radar coverage, and within which domestic ATC procedures are applied.
[Amdt. 71–14, 56 FR 65654, Dec. 17, 1991]
EDITORIAL NOTE: For FEDERAL REGISTER ci- tations affecting §71.33, see the List of CFR Sections Affected, which appears in the Finding Aids section of the printed volume and on GPO Access.

Still working on getting an answer to the boundaries of oceanic (ICAO) Airspace A.

It is beginning to appear to me as there should be a requirement to chart Airspace A to make it possible for pilots to more easily able to determine where it exists and where it does not exist.
Comments?
Thanks!
Dick