PDA

View Full Version : recruit new flight students to get the job?

kloe
18th Nov 2009, 17:53
I live in Canada in the Province of Ontario.

I need an opinion on this.

I completed my flight instructor rating at a school near where I live and this school is located at a small city.

Due to the economic turmoil the school that finished my instructor rating did not hire me and who knows when I will get that first job.

Just before I completed the rating this school "re-hired" former instructors that were laid off from their other flying job.

Reading the book" the savvy flight instructor" I noticed that one way to get a job is to go the person that owns the school and tell them that if I advertise your school and go out and get for an example 5 students that want to take flying lessons would you give me a job?

What do you think about this concept? Has anybody else done this?

And one more thing, any recommends on what I should be doing in the meantime until I get that first instructing job, I will be a career flight instructor and presently in my 40's so I am not looking to build time and move on (no disrespect on those that go on).

thanks

kloe

BroomstickPilot
19th Nov 2009, 09:41
Hi kloe,

I am a Brit living in the UK and so know nothing about Canadian conditions.

However, this sounds unrealistic to me: I would say don't touch it.

You have to bear in mind that this book was probably written years ago when different economic conditions ruled. It was probably written in some location very far from Ontario where different aviation labour market conditions also appurtained.

The reason you were not given a job was probably because the level of business couldn't support another instructor.

Even if all five of your new introductions stayed and completed their PPLs, would that provide enough income to cover the cost of employing you. Probably not.

In practice, you might introduce five new people and half of them will only have a trial lesson and decide flying is not for them.

Would your intending employer be prepared to sign a document, saying if kloe brings in five punters I will give kloe a job? No.

And what is going to be the cost of advertising?

The contract law aspects of this whole thing also, make me shivver.

In short, you could spend many hours and not a small amount of money and end up with very little if anything to show for it.

Personally, I think this was an irresponsible thing for the author of this book to write.

Well that's my two penneth.

Broomstick.