View Full Version : How to teach turning (Revisited)

Dudley Henriques
17th Nov 2009, 16:25
I've been reading the thread on how to teach turning with some interest.
Naturally every CFI will have their own approach to this issue.
I have respectfully pasted in below for you some notes from a lecture I gave to aerobatic instructors at a seminar I did many years ago where we were concentrating heavily on basics.
It is my intent to perhaps inject some personal perspective into this very important question based on personal experience gained over many years of teaching people to fly.

I hope the information is of some use.

------------- From 1961 Reading Air Show Reading Pa.

First of all, let me begin by saying that one of the first things any good flight instructor does with a new student when introducing turns even in small airplanes is to get them used to flying the airplane with outside visual cues. The objective here is to get the pilot's attention about 90% outside the cockpit and the other 10% on the panel to peripherally cross check the accuracy of what's being done physically with the aircraft using those outside visual cues. This means for example that you learn to estimate say a 20 degree bank angle by visual reference to the horizon and you put the airplane in that 20 degree bank doing a visual angle estimate with the horizon and peripherally check what you did by a quick glance at the attitude indicator, or artificial horizon you have installed in the airplane.

Notice I didn't mention the turn and bank. There's a reason for that. In attitude flying which is what we are talking about here, one of the first things you should be doing is learning to "READ" the quality of your turn entries, turn maintenance, and turn exits, by visual reference to the horizon rather than using the ball on the turn and bank.
This is very easy to do once you realize there are 3 possible types of turn entries and exits, 1. Perfectly coordinated,2. a slipped entry or exit, and 3. A skidding entry or exit.

In attitude flying, you use the NOSE of the aircraft as your "ball". Every time you enter or leave a turn you watch the nose of the aircraft. The literal definition for a coordinated turn entry or exit can be defined by using the exact amount of rudder required to match the rate of roll the ailerons are producing as you are entering or exiting a turn.

Now how does this equate to the nose on the horizon. It's simple really. Lets discuss what the rudder does for a second. When you enter a turn, the down aileron produces induced drag as it increases the lift on the high wing. So if you are turning left for example, the left aileron is up and the right is down. What's happening here? Well, that outside wing because that aileron is deflected down is now producing more lift than the left wing so the airplane banks left. Remember, when that right aileron goes down it physically changes the camber of the wing creating more lift on that side. Increased lift means increased induced drag, and what does that drag do? It wants to yaw the airplane to the right! Well, we're rolling into a left bank to turn left so the last thing we want the airplane to do is yaw to the right.

ENTER the rudder!. It's the rudder that kills the adverse yaw to the right that that down aileron is producing. Now you say.........well FINE! But how much rudder do I need to be using to correct that yaw and make the turn entry coordinated?
The answer is staring you right in the puss. It's out there on the horizon right directly over the nose.
As you roll into the turn for the first 5 degrees or so, you want that nose to be PINNED solidly in place on the horizon. If you used no inside rudder with your aileron, that nose would be yawing to the right on you, and that's NOT what you want to happen.

Now understand that as soon as you split your lift vectors into two parts (it's the horizontal component of the two vectors that will be producing the turn, the other part opposing gravity) that nose will start to move sideways with you as the bank starts producing a turn. What you want to do is to PIN that nose out there on the horizon for the first few degrees of the turn, then watch it go with you as the airplane starts turning. You NEVER...and I repeat it again for clarity......NEVER want to see that nose slewing the OTHER WAY, in this case to the right. ( I am omitting a deliberate slip entry where in some cases you actually WANT the yaw and accept it entering a slip). It is important to note here as well that in aerobatics, we consider cross control as coordinated IF cross control is what is desired as in a slip, knife edge flight, a slow roll, or killing the lift on the outside wing in a hammerhead for a few examples) Remember, we're talking PRIMARY visual coordination here and that means a non crossed control input as in level turn entry and exit.
Now, back to our left turn entry as we are watching the nose. If the nose does slew right on you as you enter the turn, even a tiny bit, you haven't used enough inside rudder to offset the adverse yaw and your rate of turn is not enough for the bank you are creating. You are SLIPPING the entry! Now you can check this by referencing the ball as a lot of pilots are unfortunately taught to do, and this takes your visual cue off the horizon, but you shouldn't have to look at the ball. You should be both feeling the turn as coordinated and seeing it verified by what the nose is doing on the horizon outside the airplane. THIS is attitude flying.

Conversely, if you see that the nose is leading you across the horizon, you have too much rudder in for the amount of bank you’re creating (aileron) and your rate of turn is too high for the bank. You are now skidding the entry. Again, you can check this with the ball, but it shouldn't be necessary. The NOSE should be telling you everything you need to know about the quality of your turn.

An integrated approach to primary flying is fine, and should be used by instructors, but unfortunately many CFI’s start the student out with hevay concentration on panel references at the expense of outside visual cues and in my opinion anyway, this is a HUGE mistake. I’ve been advising instructors all through my career to keep the attention initially OUTSIDE the cockpit using instrumentation to VERIFY the quality of control input by the student with HEAVY emphasis on referencing the visual cues as prime in flying the aircraft.

Now lets talk about turns once established and how that affects the ball.

Basically you can split all turns into 3 distinct categories and each category has it's own individual behavior and affects the ball a bit differently. Knowing how all this interacts will help you tremendously as you maneuver the aircraft in turns using visual cues.

Cat. 1. Shallow banked turns 20 degrees of bank and under
Cat. 2. Medium banked turns between 20 and 45 degrees of bank
Cat. 3. Steep turns over 45 degrees of bank

As you fly, you will come to realize that the ball in the turn and bank indicator will act differently in the 3 categories of turn. Here's why!

Lets start out with a simple premise. For ALL turns, what you want to achieve is a coordinated entry, then neutralize the bank, and LET THE RUDDER STREAMLINE with the relative wind. This is handled a bit differently for all three categories of turn.

In a shallow turn under 20 degrees of bank. The dihedral effect of the wings will be attempting to return the aircraft to level flight after you establish the bank, neutralize the aileron and let the rudder streamline. This will be your first bout with the infamous ball being "out" on you in a turn. It's called under bank tendency.
What happens is that as the dihedral effect tries to bring the airplane back to level flight on you, in order to maintain your angle of bank and turn you find that you have to feed in some additional inside aileron to compensate. And what happens when you do this? That down aileron again is now causing a bit of increased lift and induced drag. So you take a peek at the ball and it's not perfectly in the dog house!!!! Are you uncoordinated? Not really. You're compensating to keep the airplane in your chosen shallow bank angle that's all, but if you look at the ball.........it's not dead center in the doghouse. No big deal, and it's perfectly normal.
ANYTIME you have ailerons in ANY other position but streamlined with the wing, you have some increased lift from the down aileron that has to be compensated for.
I should note that usually for shallow bank turn, you simply need a bit of additional aileron to hold the bank. No big deal, but don't look for a centered ball.

In a medium banked turn, between 20 and 45 degrees, in most airplanes with dihedral this is the most stable range of bank. Basically it's here where you can put the bank in, neutralize the controls, feed in required back pressure to increase the aoa to maintain altitude and see a centered ball. Everything is streamlined with the relative wind; no additional aileron is being used, and thus no down aileron. Ball centered.

Steep turns are the most troublesome to maintain. Here we have what we call over bank tendency. It's in steep turns where the fact that the outside wing is moving faster through the air than the inside wing begins to really cause you problems holding a specific bank angle. That outside wing is creating a LOT of excess lift because of the speed difference between the wings and the effect of that is to cause the aircraft to want to bank even steeper than you want to bank. You are now the opposite of a shallow bank and you now have to fight to keep the bank from getting steeper. You do this by the application of outside aileron. This naturally puts the left aileron down in your left turn and requires a bit of rudder correction for that. You guessed it..........no centered ball again!

Notice I've been talking only about turn entries and maintenance. For turn exits, the exact same things I've covered above apply.

If you consider everything I've said here it begins to become clear that even if you are holding in a minute amount of rudder in a turn, depending on the exact angle of bank, you will be seeing several behaviors from the ball in the T&B, but that NOSE out there will ALWAYS tell you if what you are doing with the airplane is coordinated, with the added benefit of having your eyes checking for traffic as you turn instead of glued to the panel. Learn to fly this way and the eventual result will be a pilot capable of perfect coordination through the application of correct control pressures in all axis' through 3 dimensional space............all done instinctively in response to visual cues alone!

The airplane is the best instructor you will ever have.

Dudley Henriques
President Emeritus
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Chuck Ellsworth
17th Nov 2009, 17:35
:ok::ok::):ok::ok:

172_driver
17th Nov 2009, 20:12
Interesting, but I've got one question... maybe I missed something, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm not really sure if I subscribe to the under-banking tendency in shallow turns. The text mentions dihedral, which most small trainers have to a certain degree, trying to raise the lower wing. Isn't the dihedral's contribution to lateral stability based on that we have a sideslip? If we stay coordinated we don't have a sideslip, thus nothing that tries to raise the low wing??

From my experience in C172 you need a bit opposite aileron in normal turn (30 deg AoB)... or the turn will develop into something steeper.

The rest of it agree with completely. I typically cover up the instruments from the very first flight and keep them covered until the students can find proper attitudes and use cues to maintain those attitudes.

Dudley Henriques
17th Nov 2009, 21:00
You are absolutely correct about sideslip (beta) as it factors into dihedral. In shallow turn, as soon as the vectors split there's a weight factor that causes sideslip toward the low wing. The sideslip causes a lift imbalance due to greater aoa on the low wing in a shallow bank that dihedral tends to counter by returning the wings to level flight.
This is especially a factor in shallow turn if dihedral is present and dampens out as medium banks are introduced and gives way to other factors as deep bank is approached and acheived.
The bottom line is that the individual physics involved in turns vary in intensity and individual dominance depending on specific design all through the normal bank range of a specific aircraft.

DH

Chuck Ellsworth
17th Nov 2009, 21:22
Knowing all the vectors and forces involved in changing attitudes in aircraft is nice to know stuff.

However .....

Knowing how to make a given aircraft be it fixed or rotary wing do exactly what you want it to do smoothly and efficiently can only be learned by actually observing and doing...it is learned far easier and faster if you have a good teacher.

If we get to focused on how a given aircraft behaves during a given control input by visualizing the forces at work we tend to lose the real picture...which once again can only be learned from doing.

For instance if you are flying in close proximity to the ground in activities such as aerial application, aerial fire suppression, air display flying etc. believe me you will not be using the flight instruments to fly the desired attitudes.

Good discussion Dudley. :ok:

Dudley Henriques
17th Nov 2009, 21:50
For instance if you are flying in close proximity to the ground in activities such as aerial application, aerial fire suppression, air display flying etc. believe me you will not be using the flight instruments to fly the desired attitudes.

So true!
ALL display flying, especially at level 1 is done by visual cue only as relates to bank and roll coordination. The instruments used primarily in display work are the altimeter, accelerometer, and ASI. These are almost exclusively used in pitch maneuvers and virtually ALL maneuver involving roll is visually referenced only.
DH

Chuck Ellsworth
17th Nov 2009, 22:14
It was not until 2004 that I really started to get concerned with the altimeter during air display flying Dudley that was when the " OFFICIALS " brought in radar guns to police us for compliance to the 200 foot floor that we were restricted to in Europe.

Actually that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak for me personally because what once was a satisfying job had turned to a job where most of our time was spent trying to conform to ever increasing rules put in place by people who couldn't pour pis. out of a rubber boot if the instructions were printed on the soles.

So I quit and am now living my life with only my wife and the dog demanding I do what they want. :}

Not only am I barely literate education wise but I am anti authority so I am told, therefore I must an accident looking for a place to happen.

By quitting flying for a living I will live a long life. :ok:

Dudley Henriques
17th Nov 2009, 22:31
I used the altimeter basically for establishing high energy gate altitudes for the various aircraft I displayed by using a hard deck in practice before actually doing a display.
During the display all I wanted was a quick check through the gate for altitude and airspeed being married. The angles and geometry used to commit to vertical down lines were eyeball vs the gate parameters.
For rolls, you can take the panel right out of the airplane.
Eyeball all the way!
DH

Glad to see I'm not the only "old grouchy retired guy" on the planet :-)))))))
DH

Tmbstory
18th Nov 2009, 07:53
A long post for a very basic manoeuvre, I liked your Paragraph 5 of the main article "Enter the rudder etc....."

Keep it balanced.

Tmb

Big Pistons Forever
18th Nov 2009, 16:51
tmbstory.

I do not agree with your assesment that a turn is a "basic" manoever. I have yet to meet a new CPL who could do a 30 deg bank angle 180 degree turn, holding a constant bank angle, adjust the pitch attitude as the airplane rolls into and out of the turn so that the altitude does not change and have the ball in the middle through out the turn, all the above accomplished solely by referance to the natural horizon. I think this is because of what I see is a wide spread tendancy in modern flight training to rush through ex 1 to 9. In particular instructors are not insisting that students learn to fly these manoevers accurately and practice them untill they are reliably recognizing and adjusting the bank angle, pitch attitude and correcting for Yawing forces throughout the turn. I have found extra time spent on the "basic" manoevers pays huge dividends for all subsequent exercises.

One of the pernicious aspects of flying training is a rush to get into the circuit so that the student can solo. Aviation seems to judge the worth of insructors on how fast they solo students, which IMO is an absolutely worthless indicator of piloting competance.

Cows getting bigger
18th Nov 2009, 17:12
BPF, I couldn't agree more. Over here in 'JAA Land' an instructor needs 25 solos (and some hours) before losing his/her restriction. Great motive to rush through the apparent trivia.

Piper.Classique
18th Nov 2009, 18:49
trying to conform to ever increasing rules put in place by people who couldn't pour pis. out of a rubber boot if the instructions were printed on the soles.

ROFL Coffee on keyboard :D:D:D :ok:

Best description I ever heard of the CAA/DGAC/ Insert Organisation of your own choice

:D:D:D

Dudley Henriques
19th Nov 2009, 00:01
A long post for a very basic manoeuvre, I liked your Paragraph 5 of the main article "Enter the rudder etc....."

Keep it balanced.

Tmb

About the "long post". I want to make sure both of us are on the same page with this. :-)))

Let me expand a bit more if I may.

Flight Instructor's opinions on any given subject will of course vary, and in addition to this one has to consider when suggesting training regimen that flight training and safety programs and the approach to these programs will vary somewhat from country to country.
One thing almost every flight safety work group I've either attended or taught over a period of 50 years agrees on however when we gather and begin discussing accident prevention, is that there are all too many accidents that occur throughout the world that could have been prevented had the pilots involved in these accidents had a more sound understanding of the "basics".
The post you refer to as "long" is NOT meant to be a lesson plan for the instructor to take along with him/her in the aircraft when giving dual. I think most instructors will agree that you teach your theory on the ground and "keep it simple" in the air.

The very essence of good flight instruction is the ability to take what might be a complicated subject for the student and present it in the EXACT way the student, based on YOUR deduction of that specific student's ability to comprehend, will best be able to understand and comprehend what you are teaching them.

In almost every situation, this will result in the presentation of simple analogy while in the airplane, with the theory behind the analogy being presented on the ground where the student isn't stressed.
Turns are indeed basic to all flying. As instructors, WE might know that the secret of a good turn is keeping the tail lined up with the nose, but if WE don't understand the basics of how and why this works the way it does, we sometimes can come up short when "teaching it" to the student.
One of the things we have noticed from feedback over time on the flight safety work groups where I have been involved is a marked tendency by many newly certificated pilots toward over concentration on instrument cues when performing basic VFR flying. This stems from several sources;
1. Instructors who over compensate toward panel referencing during initial dual instruction due to misinterpretation of the integrated training syllabus
2. The advent of desktop flight simulators and students coming into real world aviation from this background where instrument cues are paramount and control pressures are non existent coupled with CFI's who allow this reliance on instrument cues to persist at the expense of teaching visual cues and attitude flying.
3. We have seen a marked problem with students brought down to pattern altitude and into take offs and landings where visual cues are critical and the error margin correction windows are narrower, before these students have received adequate training in the basics that are an absolute MUST before the take off and landing phase of training can be entered correctly.

Bottom line here is that the better the INSTRUCTOR understands the basics and how important they are, the better the instructor will be able to deal with this all important phase of the learning curve.
So I just want you to understand that what I'm writing here as a "long post" isn't meant to be something I want instructors to be taking along on a clipboard while giving dual.
If on the other hand, after reading a "long post" like this, an instructor finds just the right words (hopefully just a few while giving actual dual :-) to help a student toward a slightly better understanding of the "basics", then I'm one happy camper for having been allowed to be of some assistance.
God knows I received enough assistance along the way.
:-))
Dudley Henriques

Tmbstory
19th Nov 2009, 07:28
Big Pistons Forever::

Thanks for your comment. The standards must really be on the way down.

Tmb

Tmbstory
19th Nov 2009, 07:38
Dudley Henriques:

The secret to be a good instructor is to only talk so that the student hears the words and sees the reaction of the aircraft at the same time. It used to be called "Audio Visual"

The rest is for the pre flight briefing.

Tmb

Dudley Henriques
19th Nov 2009, 14:37
The secret to be a good instructor is to only talk so that the student hears the words and sees the reaction of the aircraft at the same time. It used to be called "Audio Visual"

The rest is for the pre flight briefing.

TmbI think perhaps a difference in languages might be in play here :-)

Keeping the technical stuff on the ground is one of the important factors stressed in what I have posted.
As well, I don't think any good instructor would argue that maximizing the student's time on the controls coupled with verbal guidance from the instructor isn't preferred procedure and good flight instruction.
I would respectfully suggest however that the latter, although good practice, is simply a single factor involved in good flight instruction.
There is MUCH more involved in good flight instruction than this.

The term "audio visual" as used here in the United States refers to structured presentations that utilize both a visual projection like a slide projector or camera, and a screen, coupled with narration.

I'm sure the term perhaps has different meaning outside the United States.

Where are you from?

Dudley Henriques

Tmbstory
19th Nov 2009, 17:23
Dudley Henriques:

I live in France, my passport is Australian, the audio visual means what it says, The student hears as he sees the reaction of the aircraft to the instructors input. My many, many years of instructing taught me the value of this method.

Tmb

Dudley Henriques
19th Nov 2009, 18:43
I live in France, my passport is Australian, the audio visual means what it says, The student hears as he sees the reaction of the aircraft to the instructors input. My many, many years of instructing taught me the value of this method.

Tmb

I understand. Thank you.
best to you,
DH

Pugilistic Animus
19th Nov 2009, 19:57
...on the ground,...like all other stuff 45 minute ground briefing---it NOT a difficult thing to do:zzz:

say, 'ok turn'

PA:hmm: