PDA

View Full Version : Wine with meals duing flight - cockpit crew

Has been a flyer
17th Nov 2009, 15:55
I began airline flying over 31 years ago, and have been retired for over 4 years. Many years ago, I heard that Air France flight crews were offered wine with their meals during flight.

Is that true?

I assume that is no longer the case, when did it stop and why?

Did any other airlines offer their flight crews wine with their meals?

Was there a limit?

Were there any problems, or did the crews just behave like adults?

Thanks,
Has been

Basil
17th Nov 2009, 16:10
RAF: Used to have lunch whilst refuelling at Istres le Tube near Marseille.
Invariably had one glass of wine. No problems.

RAF again: Once had several beers before sim ride. Instructor was aware and agreed that we would have beers, do exercise and then do it again next day. Great demo of what not to do (as were hypoxia or excessive g under controlled conditions).

javelin
17th Nov 2009, 17:08
5 years ago - did some sub charter for Air France out of Nantes and yes, the AF No1 offered me a 1/4 bottle with lunch. Naturally, I took it, left it unopened and enjoyed it later much to the chagrin of the F/O.

Problem was it was French wine so not up to my normal New World standards..........:E

dixi188
17th Nov 2009, 18:37
Used to use a simulator at Orly and there were always meals with wine for the Air France crews doing their sim sessions. This was about 1998.

NRU74
17th Nov 2009, 20:03
RAF: Used to have lunch whilst refuelling at Istres le Tube near Marseille.
Invariably had one glass of wine. No problems.Having been through Istres many, many times in the sixties I regret to admit I never had only one glass [carafes of wine were provided and, if I remember, were refilled gratis.] We also often had a beer in the bar prior to lunch.
I now look back in shock and horror as to how we behaved/flew 40 odd years ago.

ahramin
19th Nov 2009, 02:18
I don't remember when AF had to stop serving wine with the crew meals but I remember the pilots complaining that it was ridiculous that they had to eat their meal without the wine because of some bureaucrat.

JW411
19th Nov 2009, 13:59
UTA also used to serve wine with the flightdeck meals.

Has been a flyer
19th Nov 2009, 22:34
Thank you for your responses. I guess the French pilots were able to act like adults!

Has been

5711N0205W
20th Nov 2009, 11:14
Quite a few years ago it was possible to have wine with lunch on some French operated Oil Platforms in the North Sea.