PDA

View Full Version : Air China Vancouver base

Tintin
15th Nov 2009, 10:46
Hi is there anybody who flying for them base in Vancouver out there?

I would like to have some information before I sign.

1. Roster: 10 day of per month plus 7 days consecutive. Is it respect?
2. Are you operating flight to and from Vancouver or Deadhead to PEK to fly.
3. It might sound stupid but as Canadian working for a Chinese company do you pay taxes??
4. Are you guys happy there?

Mr Lover
15th Nov 2009, 21:20
Of course, if you are a Canadian living or having residency status in Canada you will pay taxes in Canada. You might also have to pay taxes in China. Check twice.

Flatface
16th Nov 2009, 09:46
I remember a friend who was a Canadian citizen who flew for the national carrier, when he made it to f/o on the 747, he moved to the Bahamas. He commuted to YYZ and picked up his ride there, if that trip left Canada direct to say LHR, no Canadian taxes were paid on that leg, however, if the flight did YYZ YVR then on to the far east, he did pay tax on the YYZ YVR leg only. This is many years ago and I do not know if the rules have changed.

777AV8R
16th Nov 2009, 14:23
The rules have changed. Be very careful

Tintin
18th Nov 2009, 12:41
Thanks for the reply. Nobody's working for Air China base in Vancouver on the Pprune forum???

sec 3
18th Nov 2009, 20:45
If you live in YVR, you will pay canadian tax. If you live in China, you will pay alot less tax. In case you've never been there, China's a great place:)

Tintin
19th Nov 2009, 06:59
It is, but it's been 10 years abroad for us and it's time to comeback, my wife said:}

Willie Everlearn
19th Nov 2009, 13:42
tintin

Last time I checked you pay tax here or there, but not both. The best advice is to contact Revenue Canada and tell them what you want to do and they will address your specific questions. Which means the minute you walk out of their office or hang up the phone, as they will tell you, it can all change tomorrow. Because your particular case may change and if it does it will all have to be reassessed.

There are very few Canadian tax experts flying aeroplanes offshore. Those that are flying offshore know only what's specific to their case. While many cases may be similar, they are not all the same and the assessments can be quite unfavourable.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Willie :ok:

kingoftheslipstream
21st Nov 2009, 17:23
...looked at it and didn't go for it. The 10 days off is not perhaps respected - it's right in the letter I got:

"WORK PATTERN
As planned by Air China. Air China will roster as many as possible consecutive off days
to the crew member each month up to 10 days."

"DAYS OFF
A minimum of 7 consecutive days free of duty per month with the probability of the figure
being as high as 10 days per month"

it's typical forked tongue airline speak... it ain't worth it for me. 2 years? I'm from YVR, but don't want to go home badly enough to put up with this. My old buddies at AC on the A330 making close to 20K per month. This contract is a cow flop with rose petals sprinkled on 'er.

Probability?

Good luck.

555orange
30th Nov 2009, 08:10
Contract work is crap. Dont do it if you are relatively happy and fence sitting. In my mind contract work should pay more than the good jobs because companies save alot on pensions and beni's and basically not being tied to the employee too much. 1 year contracts "renewable"?? What a joke. 1 year on and some manager doesn't like you or you call in sick a couple times and you get the door. Forget it. Think Im exagerating? Chinese business and ethics and good sense do not go together. It is a Top down way of doing business there and who you thought were your friends/allies will sell you out for their own benefit.

If you do go... hire a Lawyer. Get a Lawyer to look over the contract BEFORE you sign it. And get your taxes figured out. You will probably find yourself with alot less take home pay than you were hoping.

lpokijuhyt
13th Jan 2010, 14:13
Hi,

What is the status with hiring at Air China? I need to work...badly.

I am Typed in the B744 and B747 Classic. The problem is that I have only about 35 hours in the B744....and now no way to get more hours until I start flying again.

I tried to use the on-line application, but after spending an hour filling in all the information, the application will not allow me to go to the next page. It is frustrating. I saw an email on the website, so I sent my CV there.

I would like info. concerning B744 FOs and if there is hiring taking place. Thanks.:ok:

Please PM, if possible.

PappyJ
28th Jan 2010, 12:56
lpokijuhyt...

I got an email from "Jade Cargo" not too long ago, so I know that the intel is accurate. No DEC position, but they are currently looking for Cruise Pilots on the 744.

Otherwise, I heard that Jett8 might be looking also, but it would be on the 742.

Good luck

lpokijuhyt
28th Jan 2010, 16:28
Thanks PappyJ for the advice. I got an email from Jade. Honestly, I had no idea what a PICC or cruise Capt. is or more importantly why there is such a position. I guess it's like a Captain that the company doesn't trust to takeof or land?

Thanks again for yur help!