PDA

View Full Version : IFR approach ban regulation paragraph #

zerozero
12th Nov 2009, 01:14
I hope I'm asking this question in the proper forum.

I'm looking for the exact regulatory language that prohibits an aircraft (due to low vis) from continuing to the min alt on an instrument approach once inside the FAF in the UK.

I've done a Google search and a Pprune forum search. Maybe I'm not using the right words.

I've read discussions about this topic (Approach Ban) but what I'm really looking for is "Chapter and Verse" of the regulation. Either a copy of the text with paragraph reference or just a link to an online reference.

Thanks very much.
:cool:

Spitoon
12th Nov 2009, 04:35
Article 48 of the Air Navigation Order 2005. It saysPublic transport aircraft registered elsewhere than in the United Kingdom - aerodrome
operating minima
48 (1) This article shall apply to public transport aircraft registered elsewhere than in the
United Kingdom.
(2) An aircraft to which this article applies shall not fly in or over the United Kingdom
unless the operator has made available to the flight crew, aerodrome operating
minima which comply with paragraph (3) in respect of every aerodrome at which it is
intended to land or take off and every alternate aerodrome.
(3) The aerodrome operating minima provided in accordance with paragraph (2) shall be
no less restrictive than either:
(a) minima calculated in accordance with the notified method for calculating
aerodrome operating minima; or
(b) minima which comply with the law of the country in which the aircraft is
registered;
whichever are the more restrictive.
(4) An aircraft to which this article applies shall not:
(a) conduct a Category II, Category IIIA or Category IIIB approach and landing; or
(b) take off when the relevant runway visual range is less than 150 metres;
otherwise than under and in accordance with the terms of an approval so to do
granted in accordance with the law of the country in which it is registered.
(5) An aircraft to which this article applies shall not take off from or land at an aerodrome
in the United Kingdom in contravention of the specified aerodrome operating minima.
(6) Without prejudice to paragraphs (4) and (5), an aircraft to which this article applies,
when making a descent to an aerodrome, shall not descend from a height of 1000
feet or more above the aerodrome to a height of less than 1000 feet above the
aerodrome if the relevant runway visual range at the aerodrome is at the time less
than the specified minimum for landing.
(7) Without prejudice to paragraphs (4) and (5), an aircraft to which this article applies,
when making a descent to an aerodrome, shall not:
(a) continue an approach to landing at any aerodrome by flying below the relevant
specified decision height; or
(b) descend below the relevant specified minimum descent height;
unless in either case from such height the specified visual reference for landing is
established and is maintained.
(8) In this article:
(a) “specified” means specified by the operator in the aerodrome operating minima
made available to the flight crew under paragraph (2);
(b) “a Category II approach and landing” means a landing following a precision
approach using an Instrument Landing System or Microwave Landing System
with:
(i) a decision height below 200 feet but not less than 100 feet; and
(ii) a runway visual range of not less than 300 metres;
(c) “a Category IIIA approach and landing” means a landing following a precision
with:
(i) a decision height lower than 100 feet; and
(ii) a runway visual range of not less than 200 metres; and
(d) “a Category IIIB approach and landing” means a landing following a precision
with:
(i) a decision height lower than 50 feet or no decision height; and
(ii) a runway visual range of less than 200 metres but not less than 75 metres.Article 49 says something similar for non-public transport flights and article 47 does the same for UK registered aircraft at any airport.

Chapter, verse and article in CAP 393 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf).

zerozero
12th Nov 2009, 05:19
Chapter, verse and article in CAP 393.

That's going to require some study.

Thank you for the link.

:ok:

BOAC
12th Nov 2009, 09:05
EuOps 1.405 (Ops Annex)

zerozero
12th Nov 2009, 11:07
EuOps 1.405 (Ops Annex)

Sorry, so what's this?

The European equivalent to the British Reg?

Thanks.

Denti
12th Nov 2009, 21:29
EU-OPS is the basic and binding european law regarding operation of aircraft under an AOC. However each european country still can make its own legislation and clarify / improve the rules of the EU-OPS, however those local rules cannot specify less strict limits for anything that is allready regulated within EU-OPS, if they do it is superceded by EU-OPS. Kinda confusing as to be 100% correct you allways have to check both EU-OPS and local rules, but there shouldn't be any big differences anymore.

Pontius
13th Nov 2009, 00:43
Zerozero,

The UK does not use the FAF but, in common with most European countries, it uses 1000' aal as the approach ban point. Others, of course, use the FAF or the OM. So, go to Spitoon's post, look at rule number 6 and all will be revealed; Article 48, chapter and verse :ok:.

cityfan
13th Nov 2009, 00:51
#6 says that you cannot descend below 1000ft unless the minimums can be met AT THAT TIME, but what if they CHANGE WHILE INSIDE 1000ft?

Was not the original question related to reported wx reduction inside FAF or equivalent.....

Or do I need some question remediation?

I believe that you press on as long as you do not violate the landing minima when you get that far, don't you agree?

Thanks!

zerozero
13th Nov 2009, 03:05
Everyone's comments have been very helpful.

Thanks all.
:cool:

Spitoon
13th Nov 2009, 04:43
#6 says that you cannot descend below 1000ft unless the minimums can be met AT THAT TIME, but what if they CHANGE WHILE INSIDE 1000ft?

Was not the original question related to reported wx reduction inside FAF or equivalent.....

Up front, I want to say my background is ATC not aircraft ops so I can't talk about this with any practical experience of applying the rules.

The OP was about the approach ban - and the legislation on which it is based - which is what I posted. There are lots of ways that people talk about the approach ban but this is the actual legislation.

I didn't go any further in my first post because I don't have the experience of applying the rules. But my understanding is that an aircraft cannot descend below 1000ft if the wx is below the specified approach minimum. After that, regardless of what the wx does, the aircraft can continue the approach to MDA/DH. Obviously,at MDA/DH if the required visual reference exists the aircraft can land, if not you go around. The only thing that the approach ban says you can't do is go through 1000ft if the wx is below minimum.

BOAC
13th Nov 2009, 15:08
zerozero - you DO need to look at EUOPS! The UK has not to my knowledge filed any variation on the rules on continuing past the relevant point so the EUOPS reference I gave you answers your question.

zerozero
15th Nov 2009, 12:33
Thanks for following up.

I'll have a look at that too.

Best,
zz.