PDA

View Full Version : Maun 2009/10 season

Pages : [1] 2

Jetdriver
11th Nov 2009, 13:00
There are over 500 posts available to view in the previous Maun 2008-2009 thread available here. (http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/342268-maun-2008-2009-season.html) Please read this thread which may answer many of your questions. In view of the size of that thread, a new one is born here for 2009/10 to keep the topic manageable and fresh.

capt.rahul
11th Nov 2009, 16:33
Thnx Jetdriver for starting this new thread.

I am planning to go down there this Jan. Have read each posts of the previous thread and still I have a question or two.. Am still not sure about the situation now in Maun.. Someone from down there will be the best to answer this one.. and also I have not flown like for a year now.. Is that going to be in my way to get a job there..?? I hold a canadian CPL with 240 hrs...

And also someone going there at that time can give me a buzz .

Cheers!!!:8

lilflyboy262
11th Nov 2009, 21:11
Im heading there in a weeks time. Spending 3-4 months there.
Accomodation is cheap. Depending on how comfortable you want to be.
I'll see you there Capt Rahul.

nyathi
12th Nov 2009, 05:30
Ja, Ok, so I suppose starting a fresh thread on this is not such a k@k idea! :ok:

Ok, Maun situation as follows: (Dont quote me on this, its just me general feeling)

One company has hired one chap so far, still a few guys in town looking for work, but some have gone back to where they come from. Was told yesterday that there will be some movement with some companies, but that is what I know.

As before, be prepared to spend as much time here in Maun as it will take to get your job O ja, gents/ladies; IT'S HOT AS HELL HERE AT THE MOMENT! Yesterday at 17:30, still 37 deg C!

See you all soon!

Tony Tornado
12th Nov 2009, 06:42
Hi all,
I just returned from Botswana after driving some 4000 kilometers. I drove from the Eastern Cape, South Africa to Nata through Gaborone and Francistown. Maun is a further 300 kilometer ride towards west from Nata. If any of you is planning on driving to Maun from Jo'burg, get prepared for a nice, but long ride. It is a good idea to stay below the speed limits since the fines are really heavy. I saw more speed cops in one day in Botswana than in SA in the past two years. I crossed the border at Ramatlabama and the ~800 km ride to Nata took about 10-11 hours. Otherwise the roads are fine, and there are petrol stations in every town. Make sure that the aircon is working in your car before you hit the road and have enough Pula on you because not all filling stations accept credit cards. The most important rule I was told about is no driving at night. There are stray donkeys, cows and wild animals (dead and alive) all over the road even at daytime, so watch out for them.
Have fun and good luck!

yash
12th Nov 2009, 07:07
i know situation sucks n all , but can any one tell me is it worth waiting down dere fr 3 months , as in will dere be any hope ???

capt.rahul
12th Nov 2009, 08:05
Thnx guys for the info.. And Lilflyboy262 plz do keep us informed about the situation there. We will catch up for some beer when am there..

Cheers:E

zazza982
12th Nov 2009, 11:49
I sent to Sefofane an email to know the situation down there.
this is what they replied:

Hello, unfortunately we are not hiring any pilots at all under the current economic climate.
Best regards

i was looking to go there by january, now i'm not so sure...

capt.rahul
12th Nov 2009, 13:22
Even I got the same reply... Others have not replied .. I will try and call them once... I think am just being optimistic ... But I want to be there now that I have heard so much...:}

NZ pilot
13th Nov 2009, 00:56
hey guys,

im also heading there this week. It would appear it defiantely isnt as good as previous years but i personally am prepared to put in the time.

See you there lilflyboy, and will give you guys still thinking about it my opinion on things when i get there :)

yash
13th Nov 2009, 09:07
@ NZ pilot

great man hoping to get some updates from you soon , best of luck

kingpost
13th Nov 2009, 13:44
Keep trying guys, never give up.

Good luck

jETA-1
16th Nov 2009, 12:30
You should definatly drive at night in maun, or else how do you get home at 3am from the pub before your 8am flight?! dont fancy getting chowed by the mosquito's sleeping under the bar...

youl enjoy maun boys

Csanad007
16th Nov 2009, 13:08
would be easier to directly go to the company entrance and be woken up by the first one to arrive. so you won't be late.

Bla Bla Bla
17th Nov 2009, 02:53
That's not a new idea in Maun.

Tony Tornado
17th Nov 2009, 09:47
I spent some time in a mining company's exploration camp in the bush. About 800 meters from the camp was a game lodge with a nice bar. The mining company's most important rule was: no walking at night:}

aryakethan
17th Nov 2009, 18:04
i tried calling couple of schools in maun like sefofane they say they r not hiring at present some others mentioned that because of recession the industry is down

so some of u guys r planning to go there n give a try is it worth taking that risk

surfbeach
18th Nov 2009, 22:17
Folks. Anyone able to tell me the scoop on time on type for helping to get a job in Maun? I have access to a T206H and curious how I should log the time in my log book for Maun. Should I do a dual time checkout, then do I log the time as PIC ??

Any advise via a private message would be greatly appreciated. I am headed to Maun in 2 weeks.

capt.rahul
19th Nov 2009, 08:55
Am heading to Maun/Windhoek 1st week of Jan:E

robofos
20th Nov 2009, 06:13
for all you guys going to maun soon, let us know how it goes. im interested in hearing about that

ab33t
20th Nov 2009, 16:58
Take loads of insect repellant and corks for you bos hoed to keep the mossies and tetsie flys out of your face otherwise you will be in K@K bro . If you like a hot brew just leave your water bottle in the sun and it will be nice and hot ready to add your favourite tea. Oh and carry eggs with you as you can fry them on the car bonnet

nyathi
21st Nov 2009, 06:33
Take loads of insect repellant and corks for you bos hoed to keep the mossies and tetsie flys out of your face otherwise you will be in K@K bro

Definitly, you can get all insect repelent that you need right here in Maun, especially mossies! But Tsetsie flies........:confused: Not in Maun, now worries! Also pack the sunblock, lots and lots of sunblock!

lilflyboy262
25th Nov 2009, 09:29
Looking forward to seeing you all in Maun in about a week or so. Stilling getting used to the heat in Windhoek.... Going from 18-20 degrees to this. Ouch!

gerpols
28th Nov 2009, 17:53
You guys are really funny, you make me laugh..!!

GARY:)

Csanad007
28th Nov 2009, 19:36
summhau I gedder tu for doz beerz! so chillem plz

dmacnz
29th Nov 2009, 08:39
As long as you have a CPL your set for a job. Most people arrive with 200hrs and a bare CPL. Company's not to bothered about total time. 5 hrs in a 206 is normally a help for the licence conversion!

best of luck.

Kash360
1st Dec 2009, 09:34
It has taken me 3 days to read the previous thread, and as much as i loved the read im happy it's over.

Firstly like to thank everyone for thier great input....!!

The thread strated off a bit like this page 1-15 Lots of jobs come over.
then from 16-20 not too sure just hang around and see how things go. To 21-27 Dont even bother...lol

Well Im thinking of poping down to Maun in a few weeks. If i get a job great if not i need a long vacation anyway. It's true that allot of people want to fly with the big boys. But it's also true that there are people like me who never wanted to fly big shiny aircrafts. My passion has always wanted to fly not press AP. But thats me!!

It will be great to meet allot of you there!!!

Any jobs going?? If not im still coming out!! haha

NZ pilot
2nd Dec 2009, 11:45
hey guys,

well i have been here a few weeks, so for you guys working here you have probably figured out who i am :)

I havnt found a job yet thats not to say that i wont find something. for all you guys out there thinking about coming over, dont do it unless you actually want it. There is work but not much and you will have to work hard to get it. i understand it may pick up in the next few months. From what i understand its unlike previous years where you turn up and get hired the next day.

Maun is an awesome place and i highly recommend the experience to everyone and the flying is :mad: sweet!! but you get some losers who just bitch about not getting work and mope around.

If you come here with the right attitude you will have a blast. I would however be prepared to go home.

hope that helps

Water Wings
2nd Dec 2009, 21:46
From what i understand its unlike previous years where you turn up and get hired the next day.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Many people seem to have a false impression of Maun. A few people in busier years walked straight into jobs, many more spent months in Maun doing the hard yards. There have even been cases of guys going to Maun for 3 months (the maximum Immigration will let you stay), not getting a job and going back and doing it all again the year after. That is commitment and drive which you just do not see every day.:ok:

kingpost
3rd Dec 2009, 05:29
Rofos

if you ask a question like that you obviously do not understand the area and Africa. My suggestion to you is to stay where you are!

nyathi
4th Dec 2009, 06:53
Just remember that in order to apply for work and residents permits here in Maun you need a POLICE CLEARANCE from your country of origin or where you live.

This is set in stone, without the PC you will not be able to apply for the permits.

Csanad007
4th Dec 2009, 07:24
Already have it. But it is Hungarian. I guess I should get a certified translation...
Am I right?

Dutchie1984
4th Dec 2009, 21:59
I guess the least you can expect from the folks in Maun is to speak fluent hungarian, so that won't be a problem.

nyathi
5th Dec 2009, 07:07
PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Already have it. But it is Hungarian. I guess I should get a certified translation...
Am I right? :ugh::ugh:

Get it translated chap!

Csanad007
5th Dec 2009, 16:55
Yea, sorry for that... Even thou the lost tribe of Hungarians is still wandering somewhere out in the savanna they probably forgat this goddam language :8

flyingswiss
6th Dec 2009, 14:49
You should probably get it legalized too.....

Csanad007
6th Dec 2009, 18:02
no doubt...

Csanad007
7th Dec 2009, 06:15
Nyassa Air Taxi is looking for 3 pilots. Min. 400 PIC and ME. Maybe there's a few here who meet their requirements. More on Nyassa: Home (http://www.nyassa.mw)

stone_crusher
7th Dec 2009, 10:32
thanks for the info mate..........
br
stone.......:ok:

Dutchie1984
7th Dec 2009, 13:42
Thanks for sharing!

Kash360
7th Dec 2009, 17:36
Hi I was hoping someone could help me, I have just applied for my police certificate. However was told that it takes 6 weeks. Could someone give me a heads up if this is true or is there any other way I could get it sooner? I was hoping on leaving on the 21st December.

Many thanks in advance!

Csanad007
7th Dec 2009, 19:24
Same in Maghiaristan, but then the papers arrived in a week.
Worst case you have somebody send it after you.

z987k
8th Dec 2009, 04:48
the employment pdf says 250TT :suspect:

Bla Bla Bla
8th Dec 2009, 05:13
The PDF is out of date its 400hrs TT and they also want you to have type ratings that they operate.

z987k
8th Dec 2009, 05:15
The type rating's for 206's and 210's just makes me laugh. That is a real joke.

I can't even get a type rating for a small single here. I'm simply qualified to fly them. :confused:

nyathi
8th Dec 2009, 06:43
z987k The type rating's for 206's and 210's just makes me laugh. That is a real joke.

I can't even get a type rating for a small single here. I'm simply qualified to fly them.

Dude, if this is really a joke, why dont you stay where you are, this is AFRICA and this is how it works here! ................:mad: :ugh:

Enjoy trying to get a job in Maun! :mad:

Csanad007
8th Dec 2009, 07:24
There was written here and other places a few dozen times that if you have a type in your logbook with a few hours (5 in Bots and Nam as far as I know) then the local CAA will endorse it as "type rating" when converting your papers.
It is that simple, and it is the way it goes...:zzz:

Appugre
8th Dec 2009, 10:35
okay....vacancy for 400tt......
any idea about vacancies for freshers.....with 250 tt.

Question: Where does a fresher pilot start their career from??..I mean there has to be something.

P.S.
Atleast there's one vacancy ...situation must be on a rise....gr8

Csanad007
8th Dec 2009, 11:22
you probably won't find those jobs advertised...

Larscho
8th Dec 2009, 11:43
I believe it's a bit ordinary that they actually get it on their website when they are looking for people, so just because you can't find it on the site it doesn't mean they are not looking. But as has been said a lot, if you don't go down there you won't get any.

GWidgery
8th Dec 2009, 17:45
I'm guessing that if you're in the UK, you'll have got your police check from Disclosure Scotland? I got mine from there - took about 3-4 weeks to come through, I can't remember exactly. Just like csanad said - you can probably get it sent out later.

Kash360
8th Dec 2009, 17:54
have i been an idiot?? I have just applied for a police certificate using a wa162 form and sent it to data protection department. Was i meant to apply for a basic disclousure scotland??

oceanfly
8th Dec 2009, 20:47
can anyone tell me more about flying in malawi...i have applied to nyassa/malawi and i have got a conformation for a 30min phone interview..i just want to know more about the place like, living condition,health risks, etc,,,,is malawi as same as muan...if any one out there have been working or worked in Nyassa air /malawi i would like to know the work place/pay/accomadation etc.....pls advice:cool:

lorenzo77
8th Dec 2009, 21:15
2 quick questions (for maun, but i guess malawi as well)-
1) does an MCC help? am i wrong in saying that some of the operators do have multicrew planes?
2) any forecast that the 2010 world cup will bring more tourists to that side of the world, some of them going for safaris as well and thus creating more pilot openings?

Thanks!

dmacnz
9th Dec 2009, 07:45
Guys just a quick note. I flew in Maun not so long ago.

Hours dont been jack. A CPL licence is all thats needed. Sefo wanted 300hrs or something! but all the other 6 company's only wanted a CPL.
Ya not going to get a job cause you have a 747 rating or a MCC. They just want people who are easy to get long with, not a dick head on the piss and fly a plane well enough not to kill them selfs!
5 hrs on type should be enough to get the rating on ya bots licence! its not make or break having a rating. But the DCA type rating exams in bots are a pain in the ass.

if ya go to maun, hang out long enough and buy enough beers you'll get a job sooner or later.

Hope it clears some stuff up!:ok:

z987k
9th Dec 2009, 08:11
Dude, if this is really a joke, why dont you stay where you are, this is AFRICA and this is how it works here! ................http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif :ugh:

Enjoy trying to get a job in Maun! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

ok so maybe that was harsh. Mind explaining the reasoning behind it? I'm truly curious.

nyathi
9th Dec 2009, 09:29
Nope, nothing to explain. If you think it was so maybe that was harsh then, SORRY!

If you think its a REAL joke over here, and a laugh and that you SIMPLY QUALIFY for them........:ok: Good on ya chap!

It does not work like that over here. Sorry for that! :{

Dutchie1984
9th Dec 2009, 09:40
Perhaps a little explaining here. On most JAA/FAA licenses it is impossible to have a typerating for an aircraft that is Multi Engine/Single Engine Piston Class. We just get a Classrating and are automatically qualified (by law) to fly them.
So it is a bit confusing to see a 206 typerating. No offence intended I presume.

nyathi
9th Dec 2009, 09:58
Ok, In BOTSWANA and SOUTH AFRICA and NAMIBIA and most other AFRICAN countries, you get a single engine land TYPE RATING, this means that if you have flown a PA28 or C150 or any of those thingy's and you DONT have a C206, C210 on your license as TYPE RATED then you will have to do the TYPE RATING here in Maun because.........That is the way it works here!

Sorry chaps, but that is how it works. Anybody understand, I'm happy to explain further if this is still unclear!

z987k
9th Dec 2009, 11:04
Ok, In BOTSWANA and SOUTH AFRICA and NAMIBIA and most other AFRICAN countries, you get a single engine land TYPE RATING, this means that if you have flown a PA28 or C150 or any of those thingy's and you DONT have a C206, C210 on your license as TYPE RATED then you will have to do the TYPE RATING here in Maun because.........That is the way it works here!

Sorry chaps, but that is how it works. Anybody understand, I'm happy to explain further if this is still unclear!

I think we had a massive misunderstanding here. The harsh comment was not directed at you, rather my first comment, as it came across badly to you. I did not mean it like that.

It's a little perplexing that you would need a type rating for, as I understand it, every single aircraft you want to fly then?
For example, here, if I have a Single engine land with complex and high performance endorsements I can fly just about any piston driven single made. This would include a PA28, C152, C210, AA-5 and M20 etc. This is far from the case in Africa(?) it seems and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.
Also, here we don't have anything on our license regarding specific aircraft. It's a class rating as said above.

I know the FARs that pertain to me fairly well, but I've never so much as cracked a book on African laws... so I don't know or understand the reasoning behind them.

Kash360
9th Dec 2009, 12:13
Please could someone from the UK help me?

I have just applied for a police certificate using a wa162 form and sent it to data protection department. Was i meant to apply for a basic disclousure scotland??

I have a disclousure Scotland but got it in 2004 is this still valid?

Csanad007
9th Dec 2009, 14:17
Setswana and Hungarian, there are intensive courses to learn them.
Even conversion tests are run in these languages.

Just kidding, sorry. English'll do just fine.

BHenderson
9th Dec 2009, 22:43
Police check normally refers to Disclosure Scotland (basic level). It should be current.

Kash360
9th Dec 2009, 23:29
Thank you so so much mate!!

kevinsky18
10th Dec 2009, 00:03
Ok everyone out there can get off their high horses when it comes to type ratings on single engine pistons.

All Africa is doing is formalizing what we do here already.
We call them check outs and although they aren’t required legally try renting a plane or insuring one you bought without a check out from an instructor or other competent pilot.
All Africa is doing is saying get a check out in that plane before you fly it.
Here if you bought a 206 and you had 1000TT hours but no 206 time the insurance company would want you to do 20-30 hours of transition training with an instructor.
So we are pretty much the same.

nyathi
10th Dec 2009, 07:08
it seems and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

You'll see when you get here, very few things makes sense or is understandable! ;) But you will love it here! :ok:

See you soon, just dont forget to get that C206 endorsemant in your logbook, it WILL help!

josemarb
10th Dec 2009, 12:37
Hi Alister, I´m thinking to heading Maun in February or March maybe for a month as well. I want to go with a friend as well.
I´ll send you a PM.

GWidgery
10th Dec 2009, 17:07
Kash

Along with what BHenderson said, I'm pretty sure the basic certificate from disclosure scotland is what you need - that's all I've got.

They don't have actually have an expiry date on them, because they're only technically true at the time of issue; you could commit a crime the day you get it and it would therefore be wrong! I think most places that ask for them (in the UK at least) want one that's been issued within the last year.

The form from the data protection people might help too, one thing for sure is that it can't hurt!

GWidgery

Chutchcroft
10th Dec 2009, 17:14
I am heading to SA in Jan or Feb PM me with the details please!

Appugre
11th Dec 2009, 06:46
hei....I wondering that I have'nt flown for a year now....so would that be a problem in a job in Maun.....should i fly few hours or what....i know u dont have to be recent with your IR.

gerpols
11th Dec 2009, 16:42
Appugre, would you like my grandma to breastfeed you..?

Gary

v6g
12th Dec 2009, 03:02
Anyone know what's heppened with Sefofane's plans for a flight training school? I know they've been facing severe economic headwinds but is there any likelihood of demand for instructors out there?

Bla Bla Bla
12th Dec 2009, 04:18
The old Maun thread says it all really, no not much hiring has happened or is likely to in the near future. Its all about having a bit of character and getting down there, I would not plan to all meet up and do the rounds together. Just get on with it, some of the questions on here make me think some of you are right mummies boys.

Have all paper work including the police clearance and go and get on with it as the same questions keep getting asked and answered. There is nothing more to gain from sitting in front of the PC wondering what will happen when you arrive on the Dark continent, just sort your flights out and go find out.

12th Dec 2009, 08:39
Hey lads! How are we all?

My name is Hugh, i completed my CPL and MEIR in christchurch NZ earlier this year, currently back home in Adelaide South Aus, thinking of making the trip to maun in the new year sometime. Would be good to get in with a few other like minded CPL's.

If anyone is planning on going in Jan or Feb a PM would be much appreciated!

Look forward to meeting some of you in the future, hopefully in formation over the Okavango!

Cheers,
H.C

nyathi
12th Dec 2009, 08:51
REPORT: Sefofane has hired another pilot this week. ALthough they say this and that and that they are not hiring; NOBODY will hire you just based on the CV, you will have to make the effort to travel here!

I agree 101% with Bla Bla Bla!:ok:

GWidgery
12th Dec 2009, 17:13
Thanks again to all on this thread who've helped out with information and answering questions! I'm arriving into Maun on Monday so may well see some of your around over the next few weeks!
GWidgery

josemarb
13th Dec 2009, 01:21
GWidgery hope everything will be ok for you. I'll be waiting for news from you.
Anyone know cheap airlines to fly from London to Johannesburg?
Thanks,
Josema

GWidgery
13th Dec 2009, 07:43
Take a look at kayak.co.uk (http://www.kayak.co.uk) it's a pretty good price comparison site. Or just take a look at Emirates, they were cheapest when I booked about 6 weeks ago, but then again that might have changed.

Csanad007
13th Dec 2009, 09:19
I've found Cheap flights: Find and compare prices for airlines tickets. (http://www.dohop.com) to be the cheapest.
But you need to check out a few...

josemarb
13th Dec 2009, 22:00
Thanks chaps. I'll take a look at the links that you gave me.
;)

Appugre
14th Dec 2009, 13:14
the cheapest way to go to Maun from gaborone????

Csanad007
14th Dec 2009, 13:54
hitchiking

katbunch
14th Dec 2009, 18:47
Does anybody know if there are many female pilots in Maun? I'm a female pilot thinking of heading down to Maun in September and just curious about the ratio of male to female pilots.

nyathi
15th Dec 2009, 06:15
Safari had a Kiwi girl, but she left about a month ago, I think the only other company with female pilots is Sefofane with two girls that work there. But girl pilots are alwasy welcome to come fly here in Maun, and also well respected when you go on-line!

Der absolute Hammer
15th Dec 2009, 07:23
Unless you are a veritable Messalina you will find a sufficient ratio of men pilots in Maun to satisfy your inquiry.
Whether any of them are rational however is something you will have to judge for yourself when you get there; unless of course, you have already arrived at a conclusion from reading these pages which explains your desire to go there.

abhi88
15th Dec 2009, 17:49
I'm a female pilot thinking of heading down to Maun in September and just curious about the ratio of male to female pilots.

Just for your information kat, there is a terrible shortage for FEMALE pilots in namibia. I strongly recommend that you come down to NAM FIRST(where the civilised pilots live) before you go to the dusty,old,donkey town called MAUN..:}

Csanad007
15th Dec 2009, 18:40
Hahaha...
Kat, it doesn't matter where you go! Yo'll have a jumpstart compared to us average males... :)

katbunch
15th Dec 2009, 18:43
I also did read there was a donkey rapist in Maun, guys are that desperate down there or what? But thanks abhi88, I will look into Namibia also

Csanad007
15th Dec 2009, 19:26
Kat, don't worry those are local issues

toolowtoofast
15th Dec 2009, 19:46
I think we had a massive misunderstanding here. The harsh comment was not directed at you, rather my first comment, as it came across badly to you. I did not mean it like that.

It's a little perplexing that you would need a type rating for, as I understand it, every single aircraft you want to fly then?
For example, here, if I have a Single engine land with complex and high performance endorsements I can fly just about any piston driven single made. This would include a PA28, C152, C210, AA-5 and M20 etc. This is far from the case in Africa(?) it seems and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.
Also, here we don't have anything on our license regarding specific aircraft. It's a class rating as said above.

I know the FARs that pertain to me fairly well, but I've never so much as cracked a book on African laws... so I don't know or understand the reasoning behind them.

the reasoning is irrelevant. it's just they way it is. like it or lump it.

if you can get over yourself, go and burn 10 hours in a 210/206, then at least you have got logbook time to apply for the endorsement.

i know guys who have 1000hrs 206 who have had to do a 30 minute type rating flight. personally, if you turned up with Single engine land with complex and high performance endorsements before i let you loose i'd be pretty keen to see how you flew a specific type that maybe you hadn't flown before - say you had a Mooney rating, and you wanted to fly a 210T - similar, but not really the same - your check ride would essentially be your type rating, if you could convert to the aircraft in 30 mins - that really is only 1/2 dozen circuits.

josemarb
20th Dec 2009, 11:58
Anyone can give us some information about the situation there???
Thanks ;)

nyathi
21st Dec 2009, 06:00
Jose, read all the above posts chap!

nbv4
21st Dec 2009, 18:06
I spent 2 months in Maun back in Jan/Feb '09 and another two months in Malawi in March/April 09. I worked for Nyassa for the two months I was in Malawi, so if anyone has any questions about Malawi, send me a message or something, I can set you up with some of the guys that care currently there who can also tell you about the place.

That said, here are some tips about going to Maun:

* bring sunscreen with you. Bug spray/roll-on you can get there, but sunscreen you have to take with you. White skinned folk are the only ones who need sunscreen, and there aren't that many white people in botswana, so it's hard to find and quite expensive.

* Don't worry too much about malaria. Everyone I spoke to while I was there said that they have never heard of anyone getting malaria in maun. Technically Maun is in the malaria zone, but it's hardly a problem there. That said, it's not a bad idea to have some doxy with you just in case. Doxy is easy to find in maun, and it's cheaper too. Walgreen's in teh US tried to sell me a 2 months supply for $40, where I can get a months supply in Maun for 5 bucks. Doxy can be used as a treatment, or as a prophylactic.

* bring with you books to read, or SOMETHING to do. Preferable something that doesn't require batteries, as they are hard to find there. There is only one bookstore in Maun and it sucks for selections. They sell magazines at the supermarkets, but they are ridiculously expensive. Think 15-$20 for an issue of Car&Driver or National Geographic. They sell more more "local" magazines that are cheaper but they suck.

* Prepare to be bored. My daily routine was to take up at around 10AM, take a combi into town to get breakfast, then at 11:30 or so I'd go over to the airport and maybe waltz on into Sefofane or Kavango to ask if they need anyone. The answer was always "no". I'd then sit on a bench and watch planes land/takeoff for an hour or so. Then I'd take a combi back to Audi at 1 PM or so. Then I'd hand around the pool for 2 or 3 hours killing time. 5PM or so I'd go back into town to get dinner. Then until it got dark, I'd read through the stash of magazines they have at Audi. Then I'd walk over to The Bridge (one hour walk) to get my drink on.

I did that pretty much every day for 2 months.

* Botswana is a great place. I likes it way more than I liked Zambia and Malawi. The people there are MUCH nicer and way less corrupt. In Malawi, if you're white, you will get hassled all the time and the only way to make it stop is to pay out a bribe. I will say though, the people in Botswana hate speaking English. They all can speak it, but they much prefer speaking their local language (setswana). I never heard them speak English to each other. Whenever I had to speak to a native, I always got a weird vibe, where they seemed to be embarrassed to speak English, so they'd speak it really softly. It was annoying at first, but I eventually got used to it.

* I flew into Joburg, then took a flight to Gabs. I did this because I was under the impression that the bus station in Joburg (being in the middle of downtown) was extremely dangerous and was to be avoided unless I wanted to get killed. On my way back to Joburg after I decided to leave africa, I took a bus through Joburg's downtown station and it was no big deal. If I could do it again, I'd have taken a $15 bus ride from joburg to Gabs instread of taking the $150 flight. But I'm cheap like that. Theres a night train that runs from Gabs to Francistown that runs daily and is only like 8 bucks for coach and $20 or so for first class. It's a long ride but cheap as hell. Busses from F-town to Maun leave almost hourly and are cheap as well.

Typing this all out has made me nostalgic for Africa now :( I want to go back :)

Larscho
21st Dec 2009, 22:07
Thank you for the info!
How much did it cost for you to live down there for those 4 months? Do you have an estimation?

nbv4
21st Dec 2009, 22:16
I think one week I made it on 400 pula for the whole week. Thats not including my lodging, which was like an extra 100. Most weeks I needed 500-600. The week I did 400 I only ate food from the supermarkets (loafs of bread and rice and water from the tap at Audi camp), and no trips to the bar. 500 pula when I was there (it may be different now) comes out to about $65. Of course all I had was ~$1000 to last me that whole time so I really really had to pinch every penny. If I ever decide to do it again, I'd make sure I have way more money. I was really nervous because if I came down with malaria, I'd be screwed because that would probably require a hospital stay which could run hundreds of dollars.

Larscho
22nd Dec 2009, 06:45
Thanks, that will be helpful!

Contract Dog
22nd Dec 2009, 07:43
For those of you finishing up in Maun and thinking of going on contract, please take not that the animal shagging, like the aircraft you will fly, becomes a whole lot more complex and procedural!!!! :E

BBC NEWS | Africa | Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4748292.stm)

Ex Maun Dog

nyathi
22nd Dec 2009, 08:29
Howzit chaps, herewith some more updates and information:

* bring sunscreen with you. :ok: But you can find sunscreen at most supermarkets and pharmacies in town.

* Don't worry too much about malaria. :eek: :ugh:

Technically Maun is in the malaria zone, but it's hardly a problem there. :eek: :ugh:
Sorry guys, but this is not entirely correct, Malaria is a real danger in Maun, many people get it, but treatmant is cheap and readily available in Maun. I keep two malaria self tests at home and test and the first symptoms that I get. The reason us locals dont take any medicine all the time is that the drugs is very aggresive on your liver and kidneys and to take this constantly is a sure death warrant.

If you only show up at the airport at around 10:30 or 11 AM, you will definitly not get a job in Maun. Companies want to see that you are keen, therefore make yourself visible to ALL the companies.

So far Moremi Air, Sefofane, Delta Air and Safari Air has hired new crew, this all happened now in the last 6 weeks or so!

Travel safe and see you guys soon!

organ donor
22nd Dec 2009, 11:35
nbv4, you made my day I must say, reading your pearls of wisdom, so I had to join nyathi with his replies

Don't worry too much about malaria
:eek: its only the wolds biggest killer.

White skinned folk are the only ones who need sunscreen, and there aren't that many white people in botswana, so it's hard to find and quite expensive.

Try looking in a shop, you may even see other white skinned folk buying some. (but there aren't many there, so don't be scared if all you see are 'natives')

at 11:30 or so I'd go over to the airport and maybe waltz on into Sefofane or Kavango to ask if they need anyone

and you are surprised when The answer was always "no"

I will say though, the people in Botswana hate speaking English. They all can speak it, but they much prefer speaking their local language (setswana). I never heard them speak English to each other.

Only an American could be offended that locals talk to each other in their own language and not yours. I mean, how dare they. You cretin.

Whenever I had to speak to a native, I always got a weird vibe

The 'Natives' as you put it, probably had one hell of a weird vibe from you too. No wonder they did there best to ignore you.

I want to go back

Please don't

Appugre
22nd Dec 2009, 16:20
hei.......flyers..!!
please tell me which are form 16 and form 4 duly signed and stamped by a policeman and a doctor respectively...(( is this the police clearance and the yellow fever certificate))...
please help!!

Okavango
23rd Dec 2009, 09:03
I posted this on the last thread and glad it has been re-highlighted to those possibly ill-prepared who are asking for travel companions. Also be aware that treatment itself can do damage to your organs and once treated it is possible to have a relapse. Make sure you understand what you are getting into, in my opinion the consideration should be one of living in Africa first and the prospect of a flying job second.

nbv4
23rd Dec 2009, 11:48
nbv4, you made my day I must say, reading your pearls of wisdom, so I had to join nyathi with his replies

its only the wolds biggest killer.And everybody I spoke too said it's not something they worry about, nor is it something they have ever heard of anyone else getting. I'm just going on what I was told.

Try looking in a shop, you may even see other white skinned folk buying some. (but there aren't many there, so don't be scared if all you see are 'natives')
The only place I saw sunscreen was in a pharmacy where it was like $10 for a small bottle. Over there it's not an everyday item, so it's expensive. The same goes for shampoo, I noticed. Unlike bugspray where it can be found at any supermarket for $1.

and you are surprised when
The answer was always "no"
I was not surprised when the answer was "no" because in the two months I was there not a single soul was hired either. There was this New Zealander who was there for 6 months who ended up leaving right before me without getting a job either.

Only an American could be offended that locals talk to each other in their own language and not yours. I mean, how dare they. You cretin.
When did I say I was offended? I'm just explaining what I noticed. English is everywhere on signs and things like that so people obviously know it, but it's hardly ever spoken. In Malawi, it's the same in that it's written everywhere, except everybody speaks it more comfortably, even though they have their own native language as well. Anyways, "my language"? English is one of the official languages of Botswana...

The 'Natives' as you put it, probably had one hell of a weird vibe from you too. No wonder they did there best to ignore you.
Uh, ok.

nyathi
23rd Dec 2009, 13:46
nbv4........What year were you in Maun?

Because its sure as hell was not in the last 10 years!

robofos
23rd Dec 2009, 13:54
hey so i saw a show on the discovery channel about a light plane crash in South Africa with the survivors stranded, partly because they didn't have an ELT. They said ELTs were not required in S. Africa and I was wondering if 1) that was true, and 2) if aircraft operating out of Maun/Windhoek use ELTs.

abhi88
23rd Dec 2009, 16:00
hey so i saw a show on the discovery channel about a light plane crash in South Africa with the survivors stranded, partly because they didn't have an ELT.

I thought the crash was in botswana involving a south african registered king air!!!:ouch:

2) if aircraft operating out of Maun/Windhoek use ELTs.

Absolutely...:}They even got satellite tracking systems here! Just to make sure you are not trying to impress the CHICK sitting next you in the airplane!

Csanad007
23rd Dec 2009, 17:00
Yo, if this is your greatest concern get a Breitling Emergency.

nbv4
23rd Dec 2009, 19:18
nbv4........What year were you in Maun?

what exactly makes you think what i'm posting is outdated? I don't claim to be a Maun expert. I admit I was only there for 2 months. I'm just posting about my experiences...

Tony Tornado
23rd Dec 2009, 19:24
They said ELTs were not required in S. Africa and I was wondering if 1) that was trueA bit off, but since you asked here it is from the South African CAR:

Emergency locator transmitter
91.04.26 (1) No owner or operator of –
(a) an aircraft to be operated on extended flights over water or over areas
where search and rescue would be especially difficult;
(b) an aeroplane with a maximum certificated mass exceeding 5 700 kg;
(c) a helicopter with an approved passenger seating configuration of more
than 19 seats; or
(d) any South African registered aircraft engaged in an international commercial
air transport operation;
shall operate such aircraft unless it is equipped with one or more approved
emergency locator transmitters (ELTs).

It goes into further detail, but this should answer your question. You can find the regulations on the SACAA's website.

Csanad007
23rd Dec 2009, 20:23
Tony this fantastic outback is in Maghiaristan! If you too happen to be from there drop me a mail.

dmacnz
27th Dec 2009, 10:49
on the ELT's.

I worked for Mack air, All aircraft were fitted with 406 ELT's. im sure all other companys were the same!!

captnitin
27th Dec 2009, 17:49
Hi all aviators,

I am from India and planning to go to Maun to look for an flying opportunity. Can the people who have the experience and knowledge can provide some info. The help in this will be highly appreciated -

1. The procedure to convert FAA (US) or Indian (DGCA) to the one required in Maun. How much it cost, time involved and the documents required.

2. Is there any Indians working in Maun. Will there be any difficulty or additional document needed from Indian national who want to come there for work as I am planning to come on tourist visa.

3. Will it be of help to do Bush Flying course or CFI in Africa in getting the job there as I have only 250 hours TT with single and Multi CPL with IR.

4. Will January end be the right time to come there or any other season would be better.

5. Any other info which will be of help.

Regards.
Nitin

surfbeach
28th Dec 2009, 08:21
Our wild animal pack is 8 strong. We wake early to scavage what food we can before we run the streets within a 500m radius of Maun airport. Each animal for themselves.

Our lives as the wild untamed animals of Maun range from 2 1/2 months to a newbie just born here days ago. I think he's from the NZ sheep family.

Our pack is two Canadian Beaver's strong, a British badger, two Spanish Bulls, and two South African sharks and a kiwi Sheep.

Always chase your dreams just realize some are supply and demand based, not quality of your breed.

lilflyboy262
28th Dec 2009, 08:25
There is another NZ sheep there, he is just currently on a tour of Namibia. Will rejoin the herd in a week :)

Csanad007
28th Dec 2009, 18:58
Surfbeach this was a great post! THX

weelard
29th Dec 2009, 08:24
hi everyone
i am currently working on my CPL in B.C Canada
i will be graduating with a diploma and multi engine IFR.

been on this thread like everybody trying to find information to advance my aviation career. I read through the whole 08/09 season for maun on this forum and South Africa seems very interesting. After i graduate i will be getting a float rating and consider becoming a flight insturctor.

If i dont take the flight instuctor route, i will do bush flying. I graduate end of 2010. My goal is to get the ATPL and fly for airline.

one question.
Majority of people in South Africa is Caucasin and African. I am Asian (chinese) will this be a factor during hiring? or am i just paranoid.

Kash360
29th Dec 2009, 08:32
Another British Badger on his way there too currently in Dubai will be there on Thursday!! Be great to see the rest of you there...

Kash360
30th Dec 2009, 10:46
OK, well i have made it to Maun after a 2 hour flight...Was'nt too bad!! got my passport stamped but the immigration officer only gave me 40 days but told me to come back and extend it!!

Grabbed my bags and headed straight across the road Delta Air and met the chief pilot. Nice bloke gave me the in's and out's of what to expect well he said they will not be recruiting in the near future.

I then paid a visit to mack air but the chief pilot was out flying so will pay him a visit later.

Came back into the terminal to pay a couple more companies a visit but again the chief pilots are out.

But the suprising thing is i was introduced to 11 other pilots who are in the same position as me we are all sitting on the first floor on our laptops as the internet is free.

In a starnge wayi feel like a travel reporter sitting amongst guys who proberbly write on here too.

One of the guys i have spoken to currently sitting acorss me typing away has been here 2 and a half months when some others a month.

Well i didnt expect an easy ride!!

So for now guys take care ill keep you posted..

P.S It's hot here!!

Der absolute Hammer
30th Dec 2009, 14:31
weelard......................
You don't have to worry. China is the new colonial power throughout Africa. If you speak Mandarin or Cantonese you shold be in great demand with the more exclusive tour operators.
If you play Mah Jongg, people will think you a little strange perhaps but that is only because the game is too complicated for most Occidentals. You will, I am afraid, have to put up with stupid questions about cooked dog recipes. You might want to think about becoming a short term vegetarian.
Good luck.......and pay no attention to the comments of Prince Phillip who is, after all, a little Greek chap with a Danish cross breed strain in him. As for the Brits, ignore them, they just hang about like short order rickshaw drivers waiting for a fare to pass by, glad of any scraps that come their way; while the South African pilot mortality rate is quite high. You might want to think about learning Japanese though. It is a useful language to know at a pinch. Good luck....

swaziboy
31st Dec 2009, 09:25
Hey All

Not job hunting (not right now... maybe... if... when...), but will be there end of Jan for a HOLIDAY... can you recommend a decent place to camp for 3 nights? Bit of a relax, bit of a party.. you know what I mean...
Cheers
Swazi

lilflyboy262
31st Dec 2009, 11:02
Old bridge or Audi.

Audi gives cheap rates to campers, 17 pula a night, Old bridge has a good atmosphere with good bar tenders.

Csanad007
31st Dec 2009, 18:41
To all in Maun! Have a hell of a good time!

swaziboy
31st Dec 2009, 21:57
Thanks lilflyboy, Old Bridge looks like the perfect combo... hope to see some of you guys there in a few weeks...

Compliments of the season...:ok:

Appugre
11th Jan 2010, 17:58
To All the readers and everyone in Maun,

Happy new year and may everyone get what they desire.
cheers

danish_hehehe
14th Jan 2010, 19:18
which one should i go namibia or muan considering the current hiring trends. i have only 250TT and 25 hr Multi Engine time.

Rico 25
14th Jan 2010, 23:36
If you only have about 250 hours TT then I would say you might only be able to apply for jobs in Botswana. Many of the Namibian operators require about 400 hours TT for insurance purposes due to the number of accidents there over the last 2-3 years. You should also try looking at companies in Tanzania as well as in Belize and the Caribbean-times are tough at the moment but will get better this year.

lilflyboy262
15th Jan 2010, 06:31
I don't want to hijack the thread, but the only companies that has hour limits are WestAir (500) and Scenic Air (400).
Most in Namibia prefer you speak German. Only WestAir and Scenic don't have that as a preference.
Hiring season isn't until March/April this year.

As for Maun, the hiring season is basically finished.

springbok234
15th Jan 2010, 23:24
Hi,

Would I need to buy a car to get around Maun? any alternatives?

Thanks.

Rico 25
16th Jan 2010, 13:16
Not necessarily-I worked for about a year and a half in Maun and got around mostly by using taxis and Combis (mini-bus). If you take a ride around town with other passengers you can expect to pay about 3-4 Pulas but if you take a Special ie. on your own then it's about 15-18 Pulas. Bear in mind that if you stay at Audi camp that is a fair way out from the airport. Taxis are usually pretty safe. A car is nice to have but not essential.

Rico 25
26th Jan 2010, 16:17
Guys-are there any pilots in Maun who can give us a heads up on the flying situation at the moment? I know it's January and the quiet season but can anyone tell if business is picking up or is the Recession still holding business back-this thread has been asleep for 10 days now!:sad:

FlyBy_7
29th Jan 2010, 16:17
Post #121 above from Kash360 is from a guy who has been detailing his experiences in Maun for a few weeks now on his own thread. I'm not sure if you've seen it but it's most definitely worth reading over. It's the first account I've seen on here about the daily life in Maun for someone looking for a job and it's also all current info.

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/398077-maun-namibia-zambia-then.html

Rico 25
29th Jan 2010, 23:16
Cheers FlyBy 7-interesting thread, don't know why I didn't spot this earlier!:O

soaring.high
30th Jan 2010, 14:03
Hi Fellow aviators,
Can any one tell how is the situation in Maun or Botswana at this moment as far as recruitment is concerned?Is there any one hiring or willing to hire pilots in the near future?I hold FAA CPL/IR/ME and I am a low time pilot with 272 TT.I have tried to contact companies via internet but havent been successful to get a reply(As quoted by other members number of times).I am willing to travel to Botswana for an interview but I just cant drop in there hoping to get hired.I am not in such a financial condition where I can afford to TAKE A CHANCE and travel to Botswana seeing people and asking for a job.So here I ask for the generous help from fellow aviatiors working in Botswana,Namibia,Zambia and Uganda to take an initiative on behalf of me and talk to the comapanies if they have any jobs available.If an interview is arranged I will deffinately be there.( Have no doubt about it!!).You can send me your mail address in private message and I shall provide you with my CV and other details.Guys please step forward and provide me a helping hand.I am in badly need of a job.I shall return your favours when the time is right.Happy landings to all.

soaring.high
30th Jan 2010, 17:28
Hi Rahul,
Read your thread about leaving for Maun in 1st week of jan.Have you already left for Maun?If not then I am also interested in joining you.I am in India and I also havent flown for like a year.I am also planing to travel to Botswana,Namibia and Zambia.2 makes a company.Lemme know if you are interested.We'll work something out togather.

lilflyboy262
31st Jan 2010, 10:25
soaring.high,

Sorry I can't help you more, but unfortunatly you wont get a interview without turning up here. Most of the time, your interview is when you hand in your CV.
Hours don't matter here. People with less hours than you have been hired, while people with 1,500 are still looking.
Zambia you need 1000hrs before they validate your licence.
But there is work here in Africa. You just need to be commited, sell everything you own and come here. Thats what I did and I was hired.

soaring.high
31st Jan 2010, 11:24
Lilflyboy
Thanks for the advise and help.I woudnt mind selling everything and coming to Maun if I didnt have a family to look after !!! But still I am trying my best that atleast I can be there in Maun.But isnt the situation in Maun like really bad?(Read blogs by Kash360).Other thing I want to ask is I havent flown for a year, would it matter anyways?(Cant afford to pay for my flying hours untill something solid comes up.)

Csanad007
31st Jan 2010, 19:12
lilflyboy!
so you were lucky! I'm in maun too.

Tango24
2nd Feb 2010, 11:18
Hahahaha! Nice one CDog - BBC NEWS | Africa | Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat

.....This guy got ripped off - Donkeys are a lot cheaper! :ok:

GAIUS JULIUS CAESAR
4th Feb 2010, 14:02
Hi guys,

anyone knows if getting busted for drink and drive (wich is shown on my police record certificate) is a turndown for getting a job in Maun???

Thanx to everyone

lilflyboy262
6th Feb 2010, 17:37
sounds like you would fit in well here.
You dont need a police clearance anymore, so you should be fine. Up to you if you decide to tell them or not.
Hope your not planning on heading over. Season is basically finished now.

Deccor
7th Feb 2010, 09:03
Just out of interest, what is the pay for a pilot in Maun?

Csanad007
7th Feb 2010, 09:34
equivalent of 1000 USD for a newbie

Deccor
7th Feb 2010, 10:33
Is that per month or week, and how does the pay rise?

Cheers

deccor

Csanad007
7th Feb 2010, 14:47
hahaha... per month! but don't ask me how they rise...

GAIUS JULIUS CAESAR
7th Feb 2010, 15:20
Thanx Guys,

Planning To Get There For Next Season, So Far I've Got An Frozen Atpl, From A Spanish Integrated Course, With Cpl, Ir, Mcc, Bla,bla,bla...crap Basically!!!!, Because They Stick To Minimums For Licence Issuing And I Just Have 150hrs Tt (just A 100 Of Them As Pic) And 60hrs On An A320 Simulator (needed For The Mcc).... So Still Have To Save For A Year And Pay Myself For Some More Hours In U.s. In Order To Get A Better Chance Once I Get There....... And Marry A Donkey.

Csanad007
7th Feb 2010, 18:38
You've really composed that text bro!
Maun is awesome. Sometime hotter than it should, but i was prepared for that. I'm not missing the Hungarian winter and snow at all!

Csanad007
10th Feb 2010, 07:27
Things ain't shiny here, but as I see none of us is too desperate. We are trying to have fun if we came such a long way.
Yesterday morning we had a conversation at the airport with a couple of unemployed pilots. And I've found out that there's a mutual alliance amongst them. They even have a chairman. The guy who is here for the longest time and still didn't get a job. So I decided it is time that we have a patch... We could wear it on our jackets. Would be something like: been there, done that:)
Here you go:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/729/unemployedpilotsofmaun.jpg (http://img63.imageshack.us/i/unemployedpilotsofmaun.jpg/)

booze
10th Feb 2010, 08:21
Brilliant! :D

Hope you get the job thou. It's bloody cold here, but still, feeling waaay better than in the DRC! :yuk:

Cheers,

booze

pathi
3rd Mar 2010, 11:58
Are there any news from the pilots who went to Maun ? Any comments to the actual situation?

P.

lilflyboy262
3rd Mar 2010, 13:19
Missed the season. Current hired pilots are having issues geting work permits due to amount of unemployed local pilots.
Even though they just want to sit in Gabarone waiting for Air Botswana to hire in April. Not interested in flying C206's because it is beneath them.
No less than Caravans.

Csanad007
3rd Mar 2010, 16:05
Bots immigration hand in hand with the local CAA wiped out the foreigners from Maun. But fresh Bots CPL guys don't give a shyt on C206 jobs... They all wanna be bigboys on those 3-4 ATR's?

booze
3rd Mar 2010, 16:15
Maybe it's better if they're looked after by a senior captain for a couple of hundred hours than being let loose alone in a C206 in the bush somewhere. RUMOR has it that most of them didn't exactly finish with flying colors, let alone close to required minimum hrs, or well within the time for the CPL/ATPL subjects...:rolleyes:

So if this is true then no worries guys, just relax and i'm sure you all get what you want and worked hard for. Never loose the dedication towards your goals!

Best of luck :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Mar 2010, 16:29
Big boys on the ATRs?
Well, yes, this certain deficiency was fun at the time.
BBC News | Africa | Suicide pilot destroys Air Botswana fleet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/471568.stm)
Eisshhhh,,,,,

booze
3rd Mar 2010, 18:45
I can imagine that first phonecall from the Air Botswana executive to the insurance company... :eek:

Tyndal
4th Mar 2010, 17:55
So, it is impossible for foreigners to get a job in Botswana now? Is Maun over for us?:{

Csanad007
4th Mar 2010, 18:48
At the moment yes. But we will see, we will see...
I hear 10 Bots guys were hired? Can someone confirm this? I've left Maun three weeks ago, and just get some rumours.

Tyndal
5th Mar 2010, 02:54
Thats really sad if its true...

Csanad007: Are you going back to Maun?

Toro78
5th Mar 2010, 05:42
He guys,

I´m new in this forum and would like to ask you over Maun:
- when does the season start for jobhunting there?
- is it true that they are not going to take foreign pilots in the future because law has changed, or is this a bull****?

Thanks to all

Csanad007
5th Mar 2010, 09:37
Tyndal: nope, from Namibia will probably head to Tanzania. I'm waiting for some news to decide whether it's worth or not.

Toro78: no law has changed, the companies only need to give priority to local guys (this is the same everywhere in the world and in every industry). And as there were a few freshly trained Bots CPL guys things changed a bit. But then again, it might change back in a couple of months and companies will probably be able to hire foreign pilots also.

lilflyboy262
5th Mar 2010, 12:18
Not entirely true Csanad unfortunatly.
Immigration is refusing to issue work permits and resident permits for pilots as they have local pilots sitting in Gaborone.
At the moment, Sefofane has 3 pilots waiting out of the country until this issue has been sorted.
I don't know where the rumour of 10 guys being hired came from, as that isnt true, so far only 2 local pilots have been hired. But there are a few companies that are looking at others. Including ours. Perhaps that is going to be a bit of a bargain with the immigration department to hire the rest of this seasons pilots as we have already been trained.
As for the next year, things may be very different here. But only time will tell.

But as for this year. The season is done.

josemarb
6th Mar 2010, 13:13
Hi, I'm thinking of going to Maun in the early June.
I know is already out of seasson but I need to try.

Does anyone know if I could get a job as other matter meanwhile I find a job as a pilot? Is there any chance to do that? Is easy to get a work permit over there?

As I said before I know that the hiring seasson is in January to February but also I know that in June is going to take part the Football Worldcup in a neighbour country.

Thanks a lot :)

lilflyboy262
8th Mar 2010, 13:06
Jose,

Early june will be too late if you wish to try and get work from the world cup. First of all you will have to get a job, that could take 2 weeks minimum. After that, you have to do 5 hours flight training, before you can sit your flight test for your CPL. You also have to sit a CPL Law and Type Tech on the aircraft you will be sitting the test in.

Once completing the licence, you will need to apply for your permits and waivers. Again, this process will take a week or so.

In the meantime, you will have to do at least 50 hours flying around the delta with the companies before you are allowed to go online. Sefofane requires that you have 100 hours in the delta, 50 left seat and 50 right seat.

All this process takes at least a month and a half.

Thats totally ignoring the fact that at the moment we CAN NOT get waivers or permits at this stage.

josemarb
8th Mar 2010, 22:33
Thank you Lilflyboy262, I appreciate your answer.

Everything its pretty clear now.
In that case I will do some hour building in Argentina or I will look for another way to increase my experience.

But after all I want to come back with my idea about Botswana and I will try for the next hiring seasson. Don't know when it is better time to go there.

Is it better in October/November or maybe in January to go over there and try to do some jobhunting?

Thanks a lot,
Jose.

lilflyboy262
9th Mar 2010, 08:11
End of December is probably best. Gives you time to get to know everyone in town. Pilots are easy to spot at bars, they are the young noisy ones.

josemarb
11th Mar 2010, 07:58
Should be easy then.

I will prepare everything for December in that case.

nyathi
20th Mar 2010, 10:33
It seems like the permit issue has been sorted out with the labour department, but this is Africa and we will never know when they throw the next curve ball.

Some companies is still looking or in the process of hiring, but the hiring season is coming to and end now.

One thing that has come to light is that if you want to improve your chances to get a job, come to Maun with the appropriate ratings in hand. Make sure to have either one or all of these ratings: C172 and C206. This will definitly improve your chances for a job. Some companies have also advertised a min age of 23.

Csanad007
15th Apr 2010, 13:02
There's this guys video blog who I met in Maun. He was hired by Sefofane in January. Pretty good stuff and will give you a couple of insights. Botswana Bound (http://www.nbtvtoday.com/nbers-abroad/botswana-bound)

rigid2000
2nd Aug 2010, 11:15
hi guys!

im afraid this reply is a bit of a repeat, but it is August by now and its been almost 5 months since the last post.

my plan is to go to maun this year around december. of course depending some answers to my questions. and again im afraid these questions are a bit of a repeat. maun pilots themseveswill be best at aswering them. i read all of ths thread and the previous one (season 2009-2009). and these questions are related to the current situation.

1) is there curently a market at all for foreign pilots? did they run out of local pilots and are still considering foreigners?

2) due to the slight econonomic pickup, is there a fair chance of being hired? basically about 15 percent is enough for me (as matter of example) and im willing to sit out a couple of months in order to wait and fight for a job. i think we can stay a maximum of 3 months right?

this should b it. i might post more questions. im thinking also of calling or emailing the companies there, but im sure they are bombarded with this calls and emails and probably wont be bothered with giving a proper answer.

hope to get some all round info on the status for foreign pilots in maun or maybe windhoek!!

enjoy!!

NinerThreeKilo
2nd Aug 2010, 23:58
....if you want to improve your chances to get a job, come to Maun with the appropriate ratings in hand. Make sure to have either one or all of these ratings: C172 and C206. This will definitly improve your chances for a job. Some companies have also advertised a min age of 23.

Currently what is the best way/place in Maun to get that 206 rating (currently holding a FAA CPL), also how much do these ratings end up costing???

Thanks

lilflyboy262
3rd Aug 2010, 14:22
The only company that wants you to get a C206 rating before hiring you is Kavango Air.
The rest will give you a rating on the C206 as you need to do 5 hours for a C of T as part of your licence conversion.
When you see things advertised in the local paper, they already have a pilot lined up and by law, you need to advertise the position for at least 2 weeks before you can hire a foreign pilot.

Obviously a rating before you get here will improve your chances, but in saying that, a guy came here with the ratings, and didn't get hired when another low houred guy did.

NinerThreeKilo
4th Aug 2010, 04:02
.....you need to advertise the position for at least 2 weeks before you can hire a foreign pilot.

Hmmm, so how is it looking for foreginers this December? Is everyone just going to hold out for locals, or is this more of a formality thing??

Sorry for asking so many questions, this is something I have always wanted to do, I got the means to get there and the ratings/hrs, I am just trying to get as much information as possible before I leave!

lilflyboy262
5th Aug 2010, 06:40
Unfortunately I can't really say who's hiring who at the moment. I know our company probably wont be hiring as we have just taken on a apprentice pilot, along with the bosses son coming along soon.
Mack Air is meant to be hiring in October, but I dont know if that is still happening. Perhaps will happen later in the year. I know at least 3 guys are leaving there. Everything is pretty hush hush at the moment.
Things are still looking good though! So just turn up, if you don't get a job, at least you have had a good time and met a load of people!

NinerThreeKilo
5th Aug 2010, 07:32
Understood, well I cant move things up to Oct, so I hope mid-December will still cut the proverbial mustard.

So I take it the visa situation is OK now?

The average pilot that is hired at Mack, or Sefofane, Delta air, or etc. what is the type of guy you have seen them bring on (hrs, background, etc.) what are they looking for in their ideal Cessna driver!

lilflyboy262
5th Aug 2010, 15:14
Basically the requirements for all the companies other than sefo are not to be a meat head. And that you will fit in well with the guys at the company. Thats it. If you have a com licence, you can obviously fly a plane.

Sefo is a little..... different.

NinerThreeKilo
5th Aug 2010, 17:39
No meatheads....I think I can handle that!

What's the situation with Seaofane, after watching this NBTVToday - Botswana Bound (http://www.nbtvtoday.com/nbers-abroad/botswana-bound) it looks like a really nice company.

lilflyboy262
6th Aug 2010, 16:17
Haha "dirty dave" does that show.
Sefo is a good company in regards to flying hours logged and quality aircraft. Most of the strips they fly to are in good nick with the odd exception, and they do everything by the book, so if you follow it, and something goes wrong, usually your ass is covered.

But they are a little different. When you get here, you just have to meet and talk to their pilots.

cavortingcheetah
6th Aug 2010, 17:17
'Basically the requirements for all the companies other than sefo are not to be a meat head.'

A meat head is a male who is overenthusiastic about lifting weights and whose thoughts consist of athletics, blondes, and sports cars. Meat heads are unaware of the majority of the English language and often communicate with others by using phrases such as “bro”, “dude”, and “sweet”. The dead giveaway of a meathead is if their attire includes a sleeveless muscle shirt, athletic shorts, and a lanyard for their car keys. If you ever find yourself in a setting with multiple meat heads, be prepared for frequent high fives, chest bumps, and hand pounds.

Does that description serve more or less to describe the pilots who fly for Sefofane? If it does then those poor unfortunates must be extraordinarily frustrated because as I recollect Maun is not well served with either blondes of Maserati garages.

crabinow16
7th Aug 2010, 05:52
Hey all first post on pprune.org. I have spent some time in east Africa mainly Tanzania and really enjoyed it. I am getting ready to graduate from university and I was just wondering what types of jobs are usually found over in Africa and what people usually require for those types of jobs. Right now just trying to get some info. Thanks

DaFly
7th Aug 2010, 08:15
Good luck with your graduation.
Jobs found in Africa are very much the same as in Europe:
Plumbers, mechanics, builders, doctors, nurses, vets, bakers, butchers, to name a few.
If you are talking about pilot jobs, why don't you read through the numerous threads, that deal with exactly that question of yours. If I am not mistaking, there have been one or two other guys asking pretty much the same.

lilflyboy262
7th Aug 2010, 15:18
:rolleyes:

And no, sefos requirements are different to all the other companies.

Happy?

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2010, 16:24
It seems to me from reading their very helpful pilot employment guide that what Sefofane are looking for is commitment and a predictable reliability when it comes to work tenure. I reckon that although the company dislikes the fact, they recognise that pilots use them as a stepping stone to accumulate hours. Perhaps the company would like to be thought of as a career company staffed with dedicated twitchers who would happily spend years in upper Botswana. I've spent some time in Maun. It's a funny old place and I don't suppose the medical side of things is up to much. It never was. But so long as you can afford the house and the air conditioning electric bill and can get off into the bush to do some hunting and fishing it's not a bad place to live. You'd need to get down to Johannesburg pretty regularly otherwise it could be dangerous for the head so one day off in seven is not entirely satisfactory. They seem to expect that you bunk up with a load of other pilots which detracts from any possibility of accompanied postings and that in turn works against long term commitment.
Sounds to me as though if you're a new pilot hunting hours that you have to regard three years at Sefofane as a sort of open prison sentence at the end of which you should be able to walk out with some thing in the order of fifteen hundred hours, ready for the airlines of the world. The problem with that of course could be that the enforced isolation and the peer group competition make keeping up to speed with what's going on in the world of external aviation employment quite difficult.
That's all just a little idle speculation to while away the insomnia which sometimes afflicts me as I yearn for the African bush and the sound of lions outside my tent at two in the morning.

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2010, 17:39
For those of you from the USA coming to Maun or who might be out of the loop due to remoteness>>.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congress overhauls pilot certification requirements, ups minimum to 1,500 hr.

By Aaron Karp | August 2, 2010

The US Congress attached sweeping aviation safety reform legislation, including a requirement that all Part 121 pilots accumulate at least 1,500 hr. of flight time before operating a commercial flight, to its latest short-term FAA funding extension passed on Friday.

President Barack Obama was expected to sign the measure, which will keep FAA funded through Sept. 30, into law over the weekend. While members of Congress once again failed to reach consensus on a broad FAA reauthorization bill (agency funding has been extended 15 times since its authorization officially expired in 2007), both the House of Representatives and Senate forged wide agreement on revising pilot training and certification standards (ATW, May 1) in response to issues raised by the tragic Colgan Air Q400 crash outside Buffalo in February 2009 that killed 50 (ATW Daily News, May 27).

Of particular significance is that the legislation cleared by Congress will require all Part 121 pilots to hold an Airline Transport Pilot certificate, which demands that a pilot be at least 23 years old, pass a test demonstrating knowledge of the aircraft category and class he or she will be operating and have accumulated a minimum of 1,500 flight hr. First officers currently must have only an instrument rating and commercial pilot certificate requiring just 250 hr.

The new safety measures "will boost pilot training programs, combat pilot fatigue and dramatically increase requirements for pilots of passenger airlines to have more flying experience," said Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), chairman of the Senate Commerce and Transportation Committee.

In addition to the ATP requirement, the bill mandates FAA "to create a comprehensive pilot record database to be maintained by the FAA for air carriers to track and review pilot work histories," establishes a task force to make recommendations on pilot education and standards and requires FAA to conduct a study on best practices "with regard to pilot pairing, crew resource management techniques and pilot commuting."

According to Rockefeller's office, the bill demands that FAA issue rulemakings "to ensure commercial air carriers provide pilots with: a) stall, upset recognition, and recovery training; and b) remedial training. This provision also requires the FAA to convene a multidisciplinary panel to study and report on methods to improve pilots’ familiarity with stick pusher systems, icing conditions, and microburst and wind shear events."

The legislation leaves it up to FAA to determine how to implement the ATP license requirement, giving the agency 36 months to develop a new standard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently there will be a two to three year period for implementation but there will be no grandfather rights. the implication could be that in the US the gap period is to enable those pilots who are presently employed under Part 121 and who do not yet have the fifteen hundred hours, to accumulate the minimum requirements for continuing in their jobs.

ragdragger
7th Aug 2010, 18:48
What's the situation with Seaofane, after watching this NBTVToday - Botswana Bound it looks like a really nice company.

It isn't. They are the last resort. But you have to do what you have to do right?

Bert Gardner
8th Aug 2010, 02:52
I'm looking for information about working in Botswana as a mechanic. Does anyone know how hard it is for an FAA A&P to get approved to work there? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? Thanks

mingmongaloo
8th Aug 2010, 10:20
So do you think there's going to be a hell of a lot more low houred Americans in Maun next year?

ragdragger
8th Aug 2010, 12:04
I'm looking for information about working in Botswana as a mechanic. Does anyone know how hard it is for an FAA A&P to get approved to work there? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? Thanks

Northern Air Maintenance is the shop in Maun, their website has some contact info: NORTHERN AIR MAINTENANCE (http://www.namaintenance.com)
I think they mainly hire Bots nationals but you could give them a shot.

cavortingcheetah
8th Aug 2010, 14:53
No I don't think the legislation in the US will have much impact outside of the USA. What I think it could do is to make US pilots who have what are effectively hour building jobs outside the US stay on longer in those jobs too build up more hours than are needed today. This effect could start to be felt as soon as next season I suppose. I expect Jay Rockefeller is busy now on a bill to place before Congress which will not permit the FAA to recognize hours flown with an operator either not recognized by the FAA or sited outside the USA.
It all stems from this:
Families of Buffalo Plane Crash Victims Wants Rockefeller to Support FAA Bill (http://www.tv3winchester.com/home/headlines/97974094.html)

Tango24
8th Aug 2010, 15:46
Bert - Try Kalahari Air Services as well. Not sure about licenses.

cavortingcheetah
8th Aug 2010, 16:03
If you do get a reply from Kalahari I would think that it would at least be a straight answer to your question.

soakingpilot
9th Aug 2010, 02:47
Cavorting dude I hope you knocked on wood or something man. I dont want to even hear anyone to start saying stuff like this

I expect Jay Rockefeller is busy now on a bill to place before Congress which will not permit the FAA to recognize hours flown with an operator either not recognized by the FAA or sited outside the USA.

Let us never speak of such a thing again.

cavortingcheetah
9th Aug 2010, 05:11
Well the wood pecker stuff is an interesting point. If I put on the SA hat of many colours I suppose that I would have to say that any such restrictive move could be good news for pilots in South Africa and perhaps even in Botswana. Maun has for years used really low time US hour chasing pilots, even going back to the old days of the baby blue Gulfstream owner's fleet. These guys have accumulated their hours in a short space of time, some would say as bush cowboys, and in an aviation environment which seems completely unregulated by the FAA. At the end of this period many of the guys seem to go back to the States and enter regional airlines as low time right hand seaters. If that's a problem at all then it's a problem for the FAA to solve if they don't like the situation. The solution is extremely easy and probably right up JR's pan handle. But I think that it would be no bad thing to have that source of man power cut off, purely you understand please, from a southern African employment point of view. Of course nowadays there seem to be plenty of non US pilots chasing the hours in Botswana so I suppose that any vacuum would tend to be filled by hour chasers from another continent or two. But I think that overall I probably knocked on wood with my fingers crossed.

soaring.high
9th Aug 2010, 15:33
Hello All,
I was going through the visa application form of Botswana (Being an Indian citizen I have to apply for a Visa atleast 30 days prior to the intended date of arrival in Bots) and saw few questions which are a little difficult for me to answer
(1) Type of Visa : Should it be a Visitor Visa? or any other visa?(My purpose of visit is Job Hunting)

(2) Reasons for journey : ????? what should be the appropriate answer to this quetion?
Should I clearly mention that I am planing to travel to Bots for Job Hunting? Will it not reduce my chances of getting a visa? I shall appreciate receiving more information / tips from fellows working in Bots/Nam/Za regarding the visa application.Thanks in advance.Happy Landings to all !!!

Propellerpilot
9th Aug 2010, 16:31
@soaring.high - you must declare going there as a tourist as you are not in possesion of a valid workpermit ! If you say that you are there to go job-hunting, you WILL be in trouble.

soaring.high
9th Aug 2010, 17:04
@PropellerPilot,
you must declare going there as a tourist as you are not in possesion of a valid workpermit ! If you say that you are there to go job-hunting, you WILL be in trouble.

Thanks for the advise.I doubted declaring that I would be travelling to Bots for Job Huting would reduce my chances of getting a visa and now you have confirmed it.Any further advises?

cavortingcheetah
9th Aug 2010, 17:37
There is something in the back of my mind that says that if you do eventually apply for a Botswana work permit, you'll need three years to run on your passport?

soaring.high
9th Aug 2010, 18:20
@CavortingCheetah,
Yes sir I do have about 4 years left on my passport. However most of the countries ask that the passport should be valid for atleast 6 months from the Visa Application date.Why does Botswana ask for a 3 year passpost validity? any specific reason?Any ideas about visitor visa success/failure ratio of Botswana?When is the right time to apply for a tourist visa etc?

cavortingcheetah
9th Aug 2010, 18:36
It was only a thought, a caveat in the back of my mind. I used to have a Botswana work permit. In fact I still have the green ATPL that's probably a tad old by now. Six months was always fine for a tourist visa but somewhere in the back of the mind was the thought that, if you get there and apply for a work permit from down there, the Botswana authorities will want to see a three year validity in your passport. As I remember, but it was a while ago, the intial work permit was for a two year period of validity with an annual extension thereafter.
I cannot see that there is any good time of the year to apply for a tourist visa and I equally cannot see why you would not get one. I don't think for a second that you'd get an open work permit. You'd need a company to organise that for you I'm sure and they would have to show Home Affairs or whomever that there was no local who could do the job they had offered you.

soaring.high
9th Aug 2010, 18:59
@CavortingCheetah,
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation regarding work permit rules of Botswana.Good to hear that there is no perticular time to apply for a Tourist Visa and equaly glad to hear that I stand a good chance of getting a tourist visa (Without the authorities doubting that I am going there for job searching!!!).I understand that I can not get an open work permit.I also know that no operator will be waiting for my arrival with a job placed on a golden plate waiting to be served to me!!But I think its worth taking a chance.If I dont travel to Botswana and neighbouring countries chance of me getting a job there are 0%.If I travel to Bots atleast % of me getting a job there would go up a lil.I think thats worth a chance!!
I was a little hesitant in asking this question since it might force to alter my plans a great deal but since all of you guy are quite helpful I can ask the question and hope for the best answer.I havent flown since Nov'08:((Because of Financial and other reason) does it mean that I am automaticaly disqualified from the recruitment process?If the answer is Yes(Which I sincerely hope isnt) what is/are the alternative/s?

cavortingcheetah
10th Aug 2010, 06:15
Just let me cover myself here because I have had some strange PMs in the past and I neither want any in the future nor do I relish a misunderstanding.
I have not stated anything in connection with work permits, visas etc and so forth. I have expressed my opinions, my thoughts and my reservations. These are not diktats. No one from any position of authority has said that you will not have trouble doing one thing or that you won't get another. These pages are advice pages not government information sources.
If you have not flown since November 2008 then I presume that all your licences are dead in the water. It would be my thought that trying to get a flying job without at least a current medical and licence, even a VFR one, would be difficult. I don't remember doing a lot of IMC flying in Botswana except on rare occasions when Maun can become quite misty in the morning so I don't know if operators require a current IR. It seems from reading through other advice on these pages that many operators do not expect to see a type rating for a 206/208 on a licence. Besides all that, you perhaps have to ask yourself how you could acquire a Botswana validation on a defunct and presumably Indian licence.
Good luck anyway.

soaring.high
10th Aug 2010, 13:20
@CavortingCheetah,
Thank you very much for the post.I completely understand that this site/thread/post is for the sheer knowledge of the people and the thread starter or the person posting his views can not be held responsible for anything.Obviously this is not an official web site of any sort.People use it as a means of sharing knowledge/views/ideas/rumors amongst one another and most of the times they do get what they want!!! Information provided by you in this thread is good enough for me so I shall not be bugging you be sending PMs and I feel sorry if you have had any bad experiencecs in the past with PMs and irrelevant questions/demands.
Secondly I am an Indian citizen but I hold an FAA CPL along with IR and ME.As far as my knowledge goes the FAA certificates/licences do not have any certain life span.They are good to go as long as your medical certificate is valid.however certain limitations are imposed if you have not flown for certain time.If a CPL holder desires to carry pessangers by Day & by Night (VFR)he needs to do 3 touch & goes by day and 3 touch & goes by nights to a full stop.So for sure I do know that my licence is not an expired one.I do not have any idea about the requirements of Botswana Civil Aviation Authority to get the FAA licence converted to the Bots one.I do agree with you that recent flight experience is always needed and comes in handy but wanted to know if I could be a part of recruitment process with my current status or not?Thanks for the advises/inputs.Keep them coming.
Regards
S.H

cavortingcheetah
10th Aug 2010, 14:06
I think that is correct about the FAA licence. I have little idea what DCA/Botswana require for validation. It used to be am air law paper and a flight test and then a full proper Botswana licence. I'll hazard a guess that such is not the case any more. But I would hazard a further guess that any Botswana operator will know exactly how to do it for you if they want you to fly for them. It might be an idea to get a US/FAA medical. There are some AMEs in South Africa who can do that. Probably best to access that on the FAA website? Thank you for the absolvement. I really have no further input. Some of the other guys reading this might have but I wonder, they are after all, your competition in a way. Best of luck.

ragdragger
10th Aug 2010, 16:06
When I converted my FAA CPL in Maun last year I never had to show my FAA medical. I paid for one just before I left the States but never needed it. Don't know if things have changed since.

soaring.high
10th Aug 2010, 18:34
@CavortingCheetah,
Thank you very much sir for your inputs.They have helped me a great deal.I dont think getting a Bots CPL would be a difficult task provided the individual puts in some effort and hard work and I am up to it.What I am confused about it wether I would be able to convert my FAA licence to the Bots CPL with my current FAA licence status(i.e.valid but need one flight to carry pessangers).I could travel to US and do that easily but I really want to save my self a trip (and lots of $$$) to US for just a few flights as well as I do not want to miss out on the next hiring season(So staying in US for a lil longer and doing Instructor rating getting ruled out!!).Any FAA recognised flight schools in Africa?? doing part 61/141?.As far as getting a FAA Class-I medical is concerned it can be obtained here in India as well so I donot have any problem getting one.
Anybody else with some suggestions or better options which could help make my life a bit easier??!!!!

Regards
S.H

soaring.high
10th Aug 2010, 18:57
@RagDragger,
Can you inform me about how did you convert your FAA licence to the Bots one?You must have obviously read my previous posts,do you think I would be able to convert the licence with its present status?(i.e.I havent flown since Nov08).Do you think I stand a chance in the recruitment process with my present status?Check your PM.Thanks

Regards
S.H

Vortex Thing
11th Aug 2010, 01:09
What country are you from/in?
What did you study at university?
What type of work are you looking for?
Are you a pilot?
Do you want to be a pilot?
We are always willing to help the new guys a little but you have to ask a question with a slightly better focus if you expect a sensible answer!

VT

soaring.high
11th Aug 2010, 12:48
@VortexThing,
I assume you last post was directed towards me.I appreciate your kind intention to provide a helping hand.I do agree you require certain information from my end in order to give me a correct advise but sir seems you have not read all of my previous posts in which I have tried my best to provide as much info as I can.Any how since you have asked for it I would not hesitate providing the information one more time if it could help me serve my purpose by anymeans!!!
I am an Indian citizen presently residing in India.Yes sir I am a commercial pilot.I hold an FAA CPL along with Instrument & Multi Engine ratings.I have about 273 Hrs TT(yes yet another low houred entry level pilot!!).I did my last flight in Nov'08 and planing to show up at Bots for this hiring season and knock the doors of the operators.I know that my licence is not an expired one for sure but I do not know wether any operator would show any interest in hiring a person who did his last flight in Nov'08 and if by any chance I get hired I would be able to get it converted to the Bots CPL or not.I can always plan to travel to US and do the required flights but I dont think its a viable option (1.Obtaining a visa of US is a pain in the rear!! 2.Travelling costs too high compared to the time I am going to be spending there and 3.Chances of missing out on the hiring season).I am quite serious about traveling to Bots and I have already started the procedures for obtaining a Bots Tourist Visa.(Yup being an Indian citizen I have to apply for a tourist visa well in advance!!).I think this pretty much sums up my story.Let me know if you need any further information from my end.
P.S : I hope the operators across Bots & neighboring countries are equal opportunity employers and they dont have anything to do with nationality/race/religion as long as one knows how to fly a plane!! :)

Regards
S.H

lilflyboy262
14th Aug 2010, 12:40
The way of converting a licence here in maun has been posted over and over again. You need to go back through the posts and spend some time reading what is in here.

You need a valid ICAO licence.
Once here, you sit a Botswana air law test. A botswana type technical on the aircraft you will be flying initally.
You get a Class 1 Medical from botswana.
You then do 5 hours flying and a C of T test (equivelent to a PPL standard).

Get a tourist visa, since you have to apply in advance, get a 90 day visa first off. Once here, you can extend it with immigration, but you will need to talk to them about that.

There is a huge mix of pilots here, White & Black. No indian or chinese yet though... although there is a large indian and chinese community in Maun.

The best thing you can do before you get here is to do a few hours flying. You still have time to get out and do some work for a few weeks, and then go get up to speed. If a operator is interested in you, they will take you on a check ride. You don't want to be rusty then.

Don't be tooooo concerned though, once you get here, you try to get on empty seats out into the delta (they do it for free for pilots looking for work), if there are any dead legs (empty sectors) then the pilots might let you pole for a while then.

But please, please, please do yourself a favour and read all the threads on here about africa and maun. You will get all the information there that you need.

soaring.high
14th Aug 2010, 14:39
@LilFlyBoy262,
Excellent post my friend:D.Thanks a million.I have read your previous posts as well and I have to say they all are quite informative!! Appreciate your effort to help out the unemployed guys of our freternity.
I apoligise,I havent read all the posts of this thread with my brain fully functioning and definitly will give a thorough reading in the near future!!! I shall try and do a few flights before heading towards Botswana but do you think I would be able to convert the licence if I did not fly before coming to Botswana?(The FAA CPL still remains valid ).As you said there arent any Indian pilots working there in Maun, can you tell me the reason? Do you think (just asking about your openion) that the operators would show any interest in hiring an Indian pilot? I assume obtaining a tourist visa for Bots is going to be a pain in the neck depending upon some research I did !! The Bots Highcommission here in India are asking for letter of Invitation(????:ugh:How am I suppose to get it I know no one in Bots!!),Hotel booking details (Contacted a few hotels/camps via e-mail regarding the same and no reply yet),Passport Copy of the host and sworn statement of the host done at a Police Station in Bots or at The Bots Immegration dept.:(along with few other things.I have no clue how am I going to get the prescribed documents.I am so committed towards showing up at Maun this hiring season and might even travel to US if thats necessary but along with other stuff (like operators showing any interest in hiring an Indian person etc) I am also worried about getting a Bots tourist visa.
Regards
S.H

ragdragger
14th Aug 2010, 14:54
There are a couple of Indian pilots working for Sefofane, but they are working with either Botswana, Kenyan or SA passports.

Try contacting someone at the Bridge Backpackers, Audi Camp, or Okavango River Lodge and see if they can arrange an invitation letter. Or try a travel agency in India, they may know how to organize tourist travel. I have definitely seen Indian tourists in the Delta so they are getting Visas somehow.

I don't see why having recent flying experience should have anything to do with getting your license converted, your FAA license is still valid. To get a job you are going to be expected to fly an airplane with a certain amount of confidence which may be difficult for a low time pilot who hasn't flown for several years.

soaring.high
14th Aug 2010, 16:05
@RagDragger,
Thank you very much for providing me some vital info.Well I have mailed Audi camp and waiting for their response (Its been almost a week now). They can/might provide me with the invitation letter but there are still certain documents which I am sure they would not be willing to provide me.I doubt there are any travel agencies who will arrange for my tour and tourist visa.How ever if there are any tour operators carrying out tours to botswana,they will be all group tours and I shall have to travel with the group where ever they go!!!I will still try and find some one out!!
Well I think you are right about recent flight experience.I will try and log a few hours (If possible C206 included) before heading towards Botswana!!Thanks again for your inputs.Keep me updated.:ok:
Regards
S.H

AutopilotEngage
16th Aug 2010, 09:04
Hey do you guys reccomend the Audi Camp or The Old Bridge Backpackers. The prices on their websites are quite similar however I hear the Audi is cheaper if you mention your a pilot, is this still correct?

Also anyone have any experience with the bus between Gaborone and Maun?

superserong
17th Aug 2010, 09:02
Just heard AFE got murdered close to Kasane...that makes two.

Many of of us worked for Moremi Air and I am very proud of my time there. There was a time when Moremi was top notch. What the hell is going on there?! When I hear things like this it makes my blood boil. I hope the person in charge will take note and restore the right culture. And if any of you b@st@rds puts a scratch on TEN...:mad:

Fly safe

SS

ps. No, really do not touch TEN

lilflyboy262
17th Aug 2010, 12:53
Not too sure what actually happened, sounds like either fuel contimation, or starvation as it still had fuel onboard. There was nowhere to go where he went down, about 4miles short of 08 at Kasane. If the engine had lasted another 30seconds he would have made the road at least.
Left wing got taken off by a tree where the strut joins the wing, before hitting a tree on the very inboard of the right wing that made the tail point to the heavens and digging the nose into the earth.
He did a damn fine job all things considered and that shows by everyone walking away alive.

So nothing is going on at Moremi. **** happens.

P.S. TEN may have been a nice plane 10yrs ago. In bad need of a makeover now!

@ Autopilot. Audi does special rates for pilots. Old Bridge has a better bar.

Gmpo
19th Aug 2010, 15:51
Hello guys,

I am planning to go down to Windhoek next January to look for a Job?Anyone going down at the same time?

I have about 1000 TT in SEP and MEP.I don´t have any flight time in C-206.

Does anyone know if there is any chance to get hired with no time on the C-206?

Thank´s in advance

varg
20th Aug 2010, 13:43
As an old Maun pilot of early 90s I have been asked to do a Charter with an A319 to Kasane. I was told a while back that Kasane and Maun was under improvement to handle B737 & A320 size aircraft. can anyone tell me how this is progressing and when it is supposed to be complete?

lilflyboy262
20th Aug 2010, 15:30
Unsure what the current runway at Maun can handle, but the new one is still under construction. They haven't even started laying the tarmac yet. Still strengthening and compacting the base. No idea on when its going to be completed, but can probably say not this year.

As for Kasane... I don't know what is was like in the past, but I can't see any signs of recent runway extensions, and none at the moment either.

luangwablondes
22nd Aug 2010, 04:56
Are there any microlight for hire in Maun?

Meathead Pilot
22nd Aug 2010, 09:43
Not sure about maun.. But there are a couple of microlights in swakopmund, namibia...

gluvsleeds
22nd Aug 2010, 22:24
Hello all

I'm new to the forum and have extensively read this & previous years threads but have a couple of questions to ask on Maun.

I have a Canadian CPL with around 220 hours. I'm seriously thinking of trying my luck this coming season in Maun but before I go I'm considering getting a multi/ifr rating before i go.
Can anyone tell me please if this is worthwhile/beneficial or is it a better idea to save my £££££ and do it another time?

Do the operators have any age preferences? I see that most of the pilots out there are fairly young and me being 37 I'm wondering if this will go against me?

Thanks

Rico 25
23rd Aug 2010, 19:54
All the flying around Maun and the Delta including going into Livingstone, Zambia and Vic Falls in Zimbabwe is pretty much flown under Visual Flight Rules, so not really necessary as such. The only operators of twins are Moremi Air and Delta Air-these being BN2 Islanders. I recently read somewhere that Safari Air had stopped flying their Islander although others on here may confirm. You could get yourself a basic MEP rating without the IFR if you want, however, a lot of pilots here are starting on the C206 and C172 and sometimes staying on to fly the C208 Caravan.

As regards the issues about your age it is true that the average Maun pilot is around the 25 year mark but I was 38 when I started flying around the Delta so you certainly aren't the oldest. What they want is someone who is one of the lads who can have a laugh and a drink down the local watering hole.

I would suggest getting in contact with some of the Chief Pilots by phone (as well as any pilots) and if you make the decision to look for a job then fly out to Maun and have a look around (say 2 or 3 months)-you need to have a look at the place to see if you like as well. You would do well to find out the situation regarding working in Botswana ie. Work/Residence permits as these may have changed over the past few months.

If you do decide to go then buy yourself a portable GPS-I used a Garmin 196 with yoke mount but other types are suitable. These are very useful in the bush but are very handy when you need to divert around dodgy weather, however, you will need your maps/charts handy as well.

Good luck and safe flying,

Rico 25

gluvsleeds
24th Aug 2010, 21:08
Thanks for all the info Rico I'll get onto the work permit requirements and see what the score is.

Dan

Vortex Thing
25th Aug 2010, 13:18
Soaring High

Sorry to take so long to reply work beckoned just getting reacquainted with my time zone.

Coincidentally flew directly over Maun on way to and from Jo'Burg not that long ago. I have no direct experience of Maun but have two collegaues who went down to Jo'Burg then that way then eventually down to Namibia and they managed to gain about 2500hrs over 3-4 years.

Starting from 4 seat Cessna and ending up on ME Turbo props. It served them well as one now flies B747 and the other TPs for European companies.

I know that there is a question in there and I will try and answer what I think the question you kind off asked is!

Chap

First things first you are asking the question on the forum and are asking for peoples help so do not expect me to do the legwork of reading your posts from other threads!

Will you be hired?
Who knows get down there and find out if not someone else will!

Last Flight in Nov 08?
Suggest you get hands in pocket and get some cobwebs blown off even if it is in A C172 before you go out or you will look pretty rubbish compared to the guys who have just finished thier IR a few weeks before hand. Time spent in recce and preparation are never ever wasted you cannot be over prepared.

Re Bots CPL
It isn't really an option you will either have to fly on Bots CPL or a validation of your FAA one as you would be flying Bots registered a/c.

Travel to the US?!"£!$£"%£%
Why on earth would you do that. There are N reg aircraft all over Africa, India and Europe go and fly one of those instead. Why go all the way across the Atlantic spending money you don't probably have when you don't need too. If you are that wealthy then get an SSTR!

Equal Opportunity Employers
Ha ha!!! chap seriously what world do you live in. There are no such things except in Scandinavia and Holland. Basically get down there stand in someones in tray until they give you a job get some hours come back. It really is that simple no one cares how hard it is or where you sleep or how much money you have run out of.

There are times in life for taking and times for doing. You haven't flown since Nov 08 and you want someone to take you seriously. Get a flight in something somewhere then get down there and get on with it.

Harsh, probably but write me back in 5 years and tell me if I was right!

Good Luck VT

scarrymike
27th Aug 2010, 00:19
Your post sounds honest. I too am concenred with the age thing.

lilflyboy262
27th Aug 2010, 06:35
Don't be. Old fellas have been hired too!
Quite a few people were in their early to mid 30's this year.

soaring.high
27th Aug 2010, 07:56
@Vortex.Thing,
:DGreat post sir !! Appreciate your effort to help the newbes (like myself !!) out. I wont make you wait for 5 years to inform you that yes you are correct and right on the money !! I did not find your post to be harsh rather I found it to be quite informative.Apologies if you had to work/search extra bit to find out all my Posts/Questions/Doubts.
I know that trevelling to Bots in search of a job is like taking a chance.There is no gurantee that I shall find a job for sure and I am willing to take a chance.If I dont get a job then I'll think I took a vacation of 60 days and explored Maun /Bots and had a great time with chaps flying there (will get to know at least something from them which will enhance my knowledge about aviation!!).Yes sir you are right havent flown after Nov'08 which is a big negative point and that is why I have decided to log a few hours before I head towards Maun.I know heading towards US for just few flight is a foolish option and that is why I have kept it as a very last option.I have been searching for N registerd A/C out side US (on FAA web site) and havent been successful.No sir I am not that wealthy to travel across atlantic just for a few flights.I wanted to do an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) but I can do it later since it is not required in Bots.
Regards
S.H

gluvsleeds
5th Sep 2010, 21:38
I've read on a previous thread that upon arrival in Bots with a visitors visa, not to say to customs officials 'that I'm here looking for work' because they may not let you in.
What is the best thing to say?

Note: I've found an answer to this now, tell them I'll be on a road trip up north to Okavango & Kasana and then back down south etc...

Can anyone recommend insurance companies here in the UK that provide the appropriate cover at a reasonable price?

dolly08
6th Sep 2010, 04:03
how was your experience in Maun?

dolly08
6th Sep 2010, 04:30
I am just two weeks near to my FAA multi commercial, came to US from India and was wondering some options now, saw that you had some plans to visit Maun in Jan so thought if you could give some idea about how are things there.

thanks

lilflyboy262
6th Sep 2010, 08:25
Don't bother trying to get too into your descriptions, easier to dig yourself into a big hole.
There is a ton of tourists that enter this country every day on holiday. Just tick holiday and if asked (which you more than likely wont be), your planning to touring botswana, unsure of your route, but starting in the okavango delta.

CCUaviator
6th Sep 2010, 08:34
After getting all the information that is there in the forum and some great PMs ,I have now decided to go to Maun this December end and try my luck. I did contact the Botswana High commission here in India. They said that they can only give a tourist visa for 1 month and then I have to try and renew it from there.Is it going be a problem renewing the visa from within Botswana?

Cheers:ok:

CCUaviator
6th Sep 2010, 08:37
@Dolly . You planning to go Maun this year end?

dolly08
6th Sep 2010, 23:08
thinking about it, evaluating different options which are available or can be, so not decided but i think i would give it a try, apart from that one gets to see the beautiful South Africa.

soaring.high
7th Sep 2010, 06:47
@Dolly08,
Can you elaborate what other options are you thinking about? It would be nice if you shared your ideas/plans with us.I must appreciate your spirit that you are willing to take a chance and prepared for a failure.!! Yes SA/BOTS are beautiful countries but being Indian citizens obtaining even a tourist visa can be a tough task!! Anyways wishing you all the luck for your upcoming CPL checkride!!:ok:
P.S : Dont forget to give the examiner one of the cutest smile possible in order to enhance the chances of passing the ride at the first go!! (I assume you are a girl...If u are a guy and gave the examiner a Cute smile..I gurantee the ploy will back fire and you'll fail!!;))
Regards
S.H

CCUaviator
7th Sep 2010, 07:34
Getting the visa thing done is going to be the first of the many hurdles to come. Am working on it at the moment..
@Dolly. Best wishes for your check ride and you are right regarding Botswana. It would be a good experience at least .

nyathi
8th Sep 2010, 09:32
Age is not much of a problem. Thing is just to convince the companies that this is what you want to do and that you will stay out your contract.

Some older chaps start viroursly and then decided after six or so months that its not for them and then they want to move on, this cant happen!

See you all soon!:cool:

flyingscotsman86
8th Sep 2010, 13:30
Nyathi, how long on average are the contracts?

CCUaviator
8th Sep 2010, 18:46
Thanks Nyathi for the input. these are very vital knowledge before people like me land there..:ok:

dolly08
8th Sep 2010, 20:18
Jet and Air India will be showing openings again quite soon, now what matters is how well we are prepared for the written, one cannot expect to land up to a fair job without completely in command of the written test requirements, We cannot just rely on one option so it is always good to find or try to make a way out that can lead closer to what you want. Also, strong determination is required towards what you want, same goes with going to Botswana, a good ground work, knowledge about most of the things before handed and then giving it a best try is the best approach. Other than that start saving money, u never know when you might need it and study well.

CCUaviator
9th Sep 2010, 08:15
@ Dolly: Indigo and Jet are hiring but you need to pay for the type rating.. I dont have that kind of money.. And Indian Airlines and Air India , not sure when they r coming with vacancies but again like what happened the last time .. Its all rigged ..
:ugh:

oceanfly
9th Sep 2010, 09:08
as some one mentioned about..i would like to know if any one of you knows a flight training school in Asia or Africa using a "N" registered if so pls PM ...thanks

CCUaviator
11th Sep 2010, 22:36
Getting the visa is a big pain.. Too much paper work but am after it now :ugh:...
Now next step is to fix a date and get the air tickets done.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

I have read all the posts here and seen all available pictures on the net, and videos on you tube and called the consulate, tried to acquire all necessary information. Maun might not be the best city in the world but it certainly is like the light at the end of the tunnel. Most people go there to get some hours and then get out of the place but some love it and stay. Think in both cases its the best bet .

I am heading there with a with a positive mind but even if i don't land a job atleast I will see the country and have some great memories to come back with. See some great wildlife which I have only watched in national geographichttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Anyone heading there this season??

Hope to see you all soonhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

CCUaviator
11th Sep 2010, 22:40
And also can anyone please tell me if there is C206 somewhere close to Jo'Burg ? It would be of great help!!!

Thanks in advance

nyathi
13th Sep 2010, 07:59
Normal work contracts in Maun is between 2 and 3 years.

You decide to brake contract, be ready to pay your training bond, etc.

gluvsleeds
13th Sep 2010, 21:14
Is it necessary to have additional cover on the usual travel insurance to cover for bush flying?
Or do the operators provide this for their employee pilots or passengers?

ragdragger
14th Sep 2010, 05:18
You decide to brake contract, be ready to pay your training bond, etc.

If you are leaving for a better job, you are on good terms with your company, and the bond is reasonable then pay.

I you work for one of the less reputable companies don't let that bond stand in your way if you can't stomach it any more, just leave and don't even consider paying a bond. Particularly if you have been bonded for training expenses on a C206.

I don't think those training bond contracts hold much water legally and I have never heard of one being successfully enforced.

morgan32
22nd Sep 2010, 21:00
Hello all.

CCUaviator I think I will take off to Maun in mid december,

I'm just like you, either a job or at least great holydays ...

Looking forward to see you.and all the Maun pilots

cheers

CCUaviator
23rd Sep 2010, 14:32
Hey morgan32. Nice to hear you heading to Maun This year end. Hope to see you there

karimmoghrabi
3rd Oct 2010, 19:51
I'm leaving to maun from montreal on nov 8th in hopes of becoming an air safari pilot, it would be a dream come true for me!!! Is there any one going at that time? It would be nice to meet down there..let me know!

CCUaviator
4th Oct 2010, 19:11
Hey karimmoghrabi (http://www.pprune.org/members/323788-karimmoghrabi)
I will be reaching Maun in mid Dec. Hope to see you there

karimmoghrabi
4th Oct 2010, 19:29
hey ccuaviator!

Looking forward to meeting you down there! I've just finished getting everything ready for my trip..leaving in a little over a month!!!I'm so excited and can't wait to embark on this adventure!
I'll be most likely staying at audi camp so, hopefully i'll see you there!

Karim

CCUaviator
5th Oct 2010, 18:29
Hey karim,
I also plan on staying at Audi. we will certainly catch up for some beer..