PDA

View Full Version : CHIRP - Snow on Wing

Beakor
7th Nov 2009, 16:51
From the Cabin Crew Reports bit of the current CHIRP feedback

http://www.chirp.co.uk/Downloads/ATFB/ATFB92.pdf

I was flying as a passenger on a non-UK airline. My company (UK AOC holder) has a policy that if it is snowing, all aircraft must be de-iced prior to departure.
On the outbound flight from BBB we boarded during a light snow shower. Although no snow had accumulated on the wings, the Captain informed us that we would have a delayed departure while we were waiting to be de-iced.
On the return flight to the UK the aircraft arrived during a heavy snow flurry which continued whilst we boarded. It continued to snow and ceased shortly before the front and rear doors were closed. We then started to taxi with snow visible on the wings.

I was several rows behind the overwing exit and noticed that the left wing surfaces were covered in snow (see attached picture taken later after 20 mins into flight):
I presumed that based on my experience with my company and also previously on the outbound flight that there would be a delay while we were de-iced. After the safety demonstration, I asked the Senior Cabin Crew Member if it was normal to leave without being de-iced whilst there was snow on the wings?, to which they immediately replied without looking at the wing, "the Captain says it's OK" (or words to that effect).
We entered the runway shortly afterwards, accelerated and took-off with the vast majority of the snow remaining coated to the wing. The flight proceeded with no problems although ice remained formed on the wing in certain areas. The wing was not visibly clear of snow/ice with approximately 10 mins to landing at BBB.

I can't attach the pic but it shows a wing in flight covered with a great deal of snow.

Anybody know which operator so I can avoid them?

raffele
7th Nov 2009, 16:55
Nope but CC are already discussing this here:

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/394459-interesting-chirp-question.html