PDA

View Full Version : Cathay repaid my loyalty with sack, says nut-throwing pilot

GK
9th Jul 2001, 19:34
SCMP Monday, July 9, 2001

Cathay repaid my loyalty with sack, says nut-throwing pilot

EXCLUSIVE by ADAM LUCK

A Cathay Pacific captain sacked for throwing nuts at the airline's chief executive says he was fired despite 12 years of "loyal service", his opposition to union roster practices and a plea that he had suffered personal crises.

Speaking for the first time since his controversial sacking from his home outside Brisbane, Scott Munro said: "Loyalty will get you nowhere with this company."

Mr Munro said Cathay refused to reinstate him even after he wrote a "grovelling" letter, detailing his personal crises to chief executive David Turnbull.

Mr Munro, 47, said: "I have shown the management an incredible amount of loyalty throughout the 12 years I was there. I think the fact that I was made to go in spite of this reflects the current industrial climate at Cathay. I was a scapegoat."

Mr Turnbull has said Mr Munro was sacked because "he threw things at me, he's the captain of the ship. It's not what you expect of him".

Mr Munro was speaking as Cathay vowed it would not bow to the pilots' industrial action.

The Post revealed in April how Mr Munro's career crashed after his behaviour in Cathay's private Dakota Bar near Chek Lap Kok. Mr Turnbull, also the airline's deputy chairman, spoke to three pilots, including Mr Munro, after a handful of nuts landed close to his table.

Mr Munro said: "It was a Friday night. I had had quite a few beers and I was in a jovial mood so I threw some peanuts at the ceiling.

The father of three added: "He [Mr Turnbull] had his back to us, the peanuts did not hit him, I did not use any swear words and did not offer any violence."

After an interview with Cathay management on March 27, the senior captain received a letter the next day telling him he was suspended for gross misconduct.

After a brief hearing in April, he was told he was sacked. Two appeals were rejected.

He said: "It was a kangaroo court because all the people hearing my case were below the rank of the complainant.

"The funny thing about all this was that I was suspended by the Aircraft Officers' Association [AOA] for helping the company at the time," Mr Munro said. "That meant I was persona non grata at the AOA and therefore it was easier for the company to fire me."

Mr Munro said the union had suspended him for working on his days off last October, to help the company and to get time off to nurse his sick mother.

"My mother died three weeks prior to the incident. My father was seriously ill at the time and leaning on me for help," Mr Munro said. "It's fair to say that I was under a lot of stress."

Mr Munro has yet to find a new job.

gravity victim
9th Jul 2001, 19:41
Peanuts are simply no good for this sort of thing, not enough heft. A large walnut, delivered by catapult, would have been more effective. ;)

CR2
9th Jul 2001, 22:05
What a disgusting state of affairs. CX should hang their heads in shame at such behaviour.
I've often wondered about my reaction if someone chucked peanuts at me (having read various threads on the matter)...My only conclusion is chucking a few more back, have a laugh & forget it(although I might demand a beer for my continued good humour :D ).

According to the Capt's report above, they weren't even aimed
Seems CX CEO would be better off running a prison in Texas, given his sense of humour.

As for firing 49 others "pour encourager les autres"...

Edited 'coz the smilies don't work as they used to

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: CargoRat2 ]

The Guvnor
9th Jul 2001, 23:35
Considering David Turnbull's an accountant, I suspect he was rather more upset about the profligate waste of CX's money rather than the nut 'near miss'!

Of course, as we all know, accountants don't have a sense of humour! :D :D :D

middlepath
10th Jul 2001, 00:29
From his action it seems David is turned into a Bull, no wonder he has that name. If he is really a bull send him to spain and see who is the winner.

Lee Dingedge
10th Jul 2001, 00:30
Anyone who throws nuts at the hand that feeds him, is nuts himself. It's also downright bad manners.

I wonder how the captain would behave if his F/O had embarrassed him in public?

Kaptin M
10th Jul 2001, 00:51
"I wonder how the captain would behave if his F/O had embarrassed him in public?

He (the Captain) would probably have the BALLS to front the F/O - face to face - and ask him, "What the #*#* do you think you're doing? Grow up, and act responsibly!", rather than using his position AT WORK to deal with something that happened in a private bar.

Don't worry, Scott, the way things are headed there you were LUCKY to get out early and to get your application in ahead of the others.
Who would WANT to work there with this style of management in charge? Not me - no amount of money would be enough to put up with the sh!t that is so obviously going to continue coming the pilots' way, in the future!

OzDude
10th Jul 2001, 03:01
Goes to show you how slow the press can be in picking up on the obvious. The Cathay management are using the tactic that we often joke about on here but it is plainly obvious that they have lost it Wonder what I'm on about? :confused:

Cathay management to staff:

Beatings will continue until morale improves!

Time for the union to stop pussyfooting around and call everyone out until this regime of idiotic management are replaced with a team that understands the basics of the title 'manager' and not 'despot'. Good luck, you'll need it with that bunch of wreckers in Swire House.

Ear2ground
10th Jul 2001, 03:51
....BA have been phasing out peanuts on their flights for sometime now, perhaps its not just because of the 'allergy concerns'!

BackSeatPilot
10th Jul 2001, 09:13
Ear2Ground

Well, its a well known scientific fact that someone armed with a packet of nuts could storm into a cockpit and endanger the safety of an aircraft via gross misconduct.

I think the answer is to install beer mats alongside the fire axe for use in subduing nut-wielding maniacs.

BSP

ironbutt57
10th Jul 2001, 10:33
What a pathetic bunch of "managers" who do they answer to?

raitfaiter
10th Jul 2001, 12:23
Back Seat Pilot: strange tho it may seem there are no fire axes on CX aircraft due to safety concerns(?) :rolleyes:

What_does_this_button_do?
10th Jul 2001, 13:15
So he's an accountant - I thought they were more used to counting beans than peanuts - he's obviously been on the conversion course.

BackSeatPilot
11th Jul 2001, 07:07
raitfaiter - interesting to know, thnx. should be plenty of room for the beer mats then. :)

BSP

fanman
13th Jul 2001, 00:49
Is Turnbull counting beans or peanuts?

Paladini
13th Jul 2001, 21:39
In answer to Ironbutt57's question......

Flippin' nobody, that's been a BIG problem with CX for years.

ironbutt57
13th Jul 2001, 23:11
suspect they might have to start soon...if not then they're hopeless

whats_it_doing_now?
13th Jul 2001, 23:35
It's a good job things stopped where they did, I heard the manager was reaching for the pork crackling before the barman intervened.
:D

4 of 7
17th Jul 2001, 01:04
I believe that both 'sides' have acted like kids.

The Management have acted pathetically, but throwing things including abuse at a 'bean-counter' is also pretty stupid. They are known for their sense of humour aren't they?

Proves that 'self control is soluble in alcohol'.

As for 12 years loyal service - I suppose that CX didn't pay him in that time and he wasn't well-looked after, having a life-style that most people only dream about.

Take responsibility for your actions mate, nobody forced you to throw the nuts, you chose to do it. It rests with you.

411A
17th Jul 2001, 01:15
Like the Barnum & Bailey Circus.... peanuts, but without the elephants.
Let's get real here, if he was NOT responsible for his actions....why was this guy a Captain in the first place?
If you were a HR guy in another airline, would you hire this fellow? Answer on a postcard please.
On second thought, the only reasonable answer is.....NO.
Troublemaker of the first order.

faheel
17th Jul 2001, 02:29
Stop winding people up 411A
I notice you take a contrary stand in virtually every one of your posts in all the forums.
I guess its fun for you to toss out the bait and watch people bite huh ?
Becoming a bit tiresome trying to read something and having you come along thow in your spanner and watch the thread go off the rails :( :confused:

411A
17th Jul 2001, 05:23
No wind up Faheel, just the facts. If you think that an airline as, for example SIA, does not inquire about past employment, then you are very sadly mistaken.
Have a look at it from their perspective.
Past records have a lot to say about a potential employee.
This fellow may well be a fine operator but, his actions have shown him to be rather juvenile.