PDA

View Full Version : Sassoon saved for The Nation

Al R
5th Nov 2009, 06:24
I heard about this yesterday. Radio 4 played a recital of his 'soldier's declaration' and it really struck a chord. Its such a powerful work, especially at this time of year, because it enshrines soldier's rights as much as anything and demands that g'ment be held to account which ultimately, isn't what democracy is all about? It needs to be remembered that Sassoon wasn't anti-war, rather 'anti' how the war then, was starting to be played out. Seditious or conscientious? Who knows, I suppose it depends who you usually vote for. Lets not forget though, he won the MC and was unsuccessfully recommended for the VC, so he was no latte sipper.

<I am making this statement as an act of willful defiance of military authority, because I believe that the war is being deliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it. I am a soldier, convinced that I am acting on behalf of soldiers. I believe that this war, upon which I entered as a war of defense and liberation, has now become a war of aggression and conquest. I believe that the purposes for which I and my fellow-soldiers entered upon this war should have been so clearly stated as to have made it impossible to change them, and that, had this been done, the objects which actuated us would now be attainable by negotiation.

I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolong these sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust. I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being practiced on them; also I believe that I may help to destroy the callous complacence with which the majority of those at home regard the continuance of agonies which they do not share, and which they have not sufficient imagination to realise.>

Belongings of Siegfried Sassoon to be preserved at Cambridge University - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/6494542/Belongings-of-Siegfried-Sassoon-to-be-preserved-at-Cambridge-University.html)

Siegfried Sassoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_Sassoon#War_service)

Tappers Dad
5th Nov 2009, 06:54
I heard it yesterday and thought 90 years on and it is just as appropriate for today as it was then.

Tankertrashnav
5th Nov 2009, 17:08
As well as Sassoon's own Memoirs of an Infantry Officer can I recommend Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That which is IMOH one of the best works written about the war. Sassoon and Graves were fellow officers in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and Graves was greatly concerned at what might happen to Sassoon because of his action, and visited him at Craiglockhart Hospital to attempt to advise him on what he should do.

In addition to these books, Pat Barker's Regeneration, the first in her Great War trilogy describes Sassoon's stay at Craiglockhart in detail, in particular the relationship between him and the army psychologist who treated him, Captain W.H.R.Rivers - fascinating stuff.

Some of the material which has been saved was on display at The Imperial War Museum a few years back in the War Poets exhibition - great to know that others will be able to see and be inspired by it in the future.