PDA

View Full Version : CAT C Airports

Kelly Hopper
4th Nov 2009, 16:52
I have a question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to but would be interested to hear others' slant on it:

JAR OPS 1 general aviation charter flight in a Perf A high power twinjet. What is the minimum legal crew training/experience requirement for a CAT C Airport arrival/departure in visual and IMC?
Thanks for all comments.

BizJetJock
4th Nov 2009, 21:52
The legal minimum is whatever it says in your ops manual.
There is no laid down rule, but this is one of the items that the CAA will look at closely before issuing your AOC.
It used to be not unusual to see just a requirement for a good briefing, but recently they seem to have tightened up on that and cat C requires training and/or a visit. Some operators get round this by then recategorising all the airfields as cat B..:rolleyes:

A and C
4th Nov 2009, 22:11
As stated above it depends on the Opps manual but in all the airlines I have worked for the cat C airfield requirements are 500 hours on type, simulator training on the critical emergencys at the airfield and a flight into the airfield with a training captain.

rogerg
5th Nov 2009, 06:29
flight into the airfield with a training captain.

Years ago I was checked into a cat c airfield by a training captain. I was surprised to find out that he had never flown into the airfield himself.
Quite legal though.

Tmbstory
9th Nov 2009, 08:06
From an Operations Manual:

These are airfields presenting difficult approach patterns, pecular weather conditions or requiring special knowledge of terrain, airfield or terminal area procedures.

Operation into a category "C " airfield requires a flight into and out of the airfield supervised by a qualified Captain.

In the event of the airfield being categorised as category "C" and there being no Company pilot authorised to operate to that airfield then the flight will be operated either by the Chief Pilot or a Commander designated by him and possessing the necessary experience and ability to operate to that airfield, it being the responsibilty of the Chief Pilot to ensure that such training as he considers necessary is carried out by means of briefing, films or simulated training to ensure the safety of the Flight.

Hope this helps

Tmb