PDA

View Full Version : Avro Tudor and the Berlin Airlift

southender
3rd Nov 2009, 19:52
I am currently researching the history of Southend Airport, its airlines and airliners in the 1950s and have a question about Air Charter's Tudor G-AGRG as to whether this aircraft actually participated in the Berlin Airlift, when being flown by it's previous operator British South American Airways Corporation.

A.J. Jackson has thrown me a little as his book Avro Aircraft since 1908 refers to G-AGRG, RH, RJ completing 261 sorties, but his British Civil Aircraft 1919-1959 refers to only G-AGRH and RJ completing the 261 sorties.

Arthur Pearcey's book Berlin Airlift also notes only RH and RJ taking part, but lists only 231 sorties.

So, between these three authoritive books I have a discrepancy of 1 aircraft and 30 sorties.

I've not found much of assistance on the internet, so I'm hoping the PPRune experts will help with the question, did Romeo Golf fly into Berlin during the airlift.

Cheers

Southender

norwich
3rd Nov 2009, 20:37
southender, I have Robert Jackson's " The Berlin Airlift " in appendix two, individual aircraft performances, BSAA Tudors, no mention of G-AGRG, but lists G-AGRH ... 114 sorties G-AGRJ ... 117 sorties ?????

Keith.

norwich
3rd Nov 2009, 21:01
Back again ! Have you looked into Susan & Ian Ottaway's book " Fly With The Stars" The ultimate history of BSAA ? Within their website is a brief history of the fleet.
Rather hope this link works ? look into the fleet history ?

Fly With The Stars - A History of BSAA (http://www.flywiththestars.co.uk/index.htm)

Keith.

southender
9th Nov 2009, 07:29
Norwich,

Thanks for your replies.

The BSAA site seems definite about which aircraft took part in the airlift, so as the concensus appears to support the view that only two BSAA Tudors were involved, I'll assume RG did not.

Cheers

Southender