PDA

View Full Version : 99, no flakes!

sprucemoose
20th Jul 2001, 12:49
Just wanted to say thanks to all those RAF, DPA and Boeing folks involved in organising yesterday's press facility at Brize, particularly to the 99 Sqn guys for giving us a spin in UK2. Fine aircraft - not that I needed convincing!

Moose

BEagle
20th Jul 2001, 13:03
Hope you'll get a similar chance when the first RAF (not contractor) owned Boeing 767K takes to the skies in a few years' time!

Gainesy
20th Jul 2001, 13:05
Looks like they got the spin-recovery technique right then. :D

sprucemoose
20th Jul 2001, 13:20
BEagle,

A very kind offer, which we will certainly hold you to in about six to eight years time!

Bear in mind that the C-17s are contractor-owned assets though - for the time being at least!

Moose

Chairborne 09.00hrs
20th Jul 2001, 18:17
I second that, Spruce - well said. Thanks, 99.

Perhaps someone could run a book on how many Ppruners were aboard? There was one significant absentee, though - where was Jackonicko??

sprucemoose
20th Jul 2001, 18:45
Good point, Chairborne. You missed a good one JN - back home counting your royalties?! Spotter question - can anyone confirm our flight code? I have Ascot 885, but am not 100%.

Overstretch
21st Jul 2001, 00:42
When are 2 Gp going to ditch that dreadful callsign. I heard a rumour that it stood for Air Support Command Operational Transport? Excuse me for being picky but just when did ASC disband?

Lights blue touch paper and....... ;)

Red Snow
21st Jul 2001, 02:04
Glad to see HM's most expensive mobility asset being put to such good use - I sincerely hope the crew got some good training out of it.

Methinks the PR battle has already been lost over this one, anyway.

Art Field
21st Jul 2001, 11:52
Overstretch, I think the answer to your question, in the eyes of the Ascot died in the wools is "never, over my now withering body". I'm sure there are many still around, sitting in high seats for whom the word is sacrosanct. Whatever happened to Rafair, it never sounded like rough air to me. :p

15/15 flex
21st Jul 2001, 19:40
But "Rough Air" would be quite appropriate these days!!

:cool:

sprucemoose
23rd Jul 2001, 11:37
Surprise, surprise, a moan from some bean counter about a media facility.

Bear in mind, Red Snow, that due to the election the RAF weren't allowed to have any press along when UK1 was delivered, so this was the first chance to show off their new aircraft.

As for the PR battle having already been lost, you should talk to some service people about the C-130J and A400M!

Sangiovese
23rd Jul 2001, 14:45
Thought ASCOT meant "Arrive Sir? Chance of tomorrow".

In all seriousness, I seem to recollect the change was considered a few years back (early 90's) but since it was so well known globally (or notorious?) the name stuck.

Are all the old callsigns still in the FIH?

Red Snow
23rd Jul 2001, 16:40
Thanks, Moose. I've been called many things in my time, but a bean-counter? That's a new one. ;)

Re PR battle - C-17 is a very good aircraft. 99 is a very tight professional unit. No criticism of either intended for a second , in fact praise for both. But £750 m to lease something we could have bought for less? God knows what the per-minute flying costs work out to.

As I said in my previous post, I sincerely hope the crew got some good training out of it. That's all.

sprucemoose
23rd Jul 2001, 18:19
Cheers, Red!

Okay, the phrase bean-counter was perhaps a bit harsh - are you a concerned tax payer or a peeved mil type with better things to use the budget on?

I fully agree that the logic of leasing the aircraft for more than you could buy them for is a bit peculiar, but it's better than waiting years for an alternative.

As for the per minute cost: £750 million (for the initial seven years, I guess) for four aircraft, with a planned annual total of 3,000 hours to go on the fleet (fly more, pay more, fly less, pay less), shouldn't be too tough to calculate.

As for whether the crew got any training value out of flying us, then no, I doubt that they did, but they already have over 200 hours flying UK1 and UK2 since they were accepted, so what's an hour between friends?