PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Nav' aid activation.

heights good
2nd Nov 2009, 15:21
Does anybody know of a manufacturer or airfield that has an automatic activation device for nav aids etc that is activated by radio transmissions?

I have heard of an airfield that uses this but can't think where said airfield is. I am doing some research for a non aviation related idea and could do with this principle.

Any ideas?

HG

pma 32dd
2nd Nov 2009, 15:31
Try Stephenville in Newfoundland

Another random question:

Do terrorists have amendments sent for their terrorist training manuals?

:)

Spitoon
2nd Nov 2009, 15:34
Not really allowed in the UK - although I think there may be a couple of police/emergency services helicopter operations which have something like this approved. Common in US and, I think Australia, for switching runway lights on.

ORAC
2nd Nov 2009, 15:36
You mean something like this (http://www.heliport.com/downloads/ROLC/ROLC-Manual.pdf), designed to FAA specification L-854 (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/significant_documents/index.cfm?fuseAction=c.dspDocumentInformation&documentID=22338&documentTypeID=0)?

AircraftOperations
2nd Nov 2009, 15:39
Freight Dogs????

Many airports across the world, (my recent visits tell me Oxford (UK) & Ayers Rock (AU), I believe, has airfield lights that can be switched on by transmitting on a certain airport frequency.

Sgt.Slabber
2nd Nov 2009, 15:45
In the USA, the "CTAF" frequency will turn on runway lights - don't know about "NAVAIDS".

from the 74S - ANACORTES - data sheet available @ AirNav dot com

Lights: DUSK-DAWN
ACTVT MIRL & REILS RY 18/36 - CTAF
Airport Communications

CTAF: 128.25

barnstormer1968
2nd Nov 2009, 15:51
pma 32DD

Yes they do.

The original Viet Cong manuals (well in reality often drawn on cardboard or wood) showed how to aim RPG's for example, and then were updated to show in pictorial form how to aim such weapons at helicopters in differing flight regimes (the method used to this day, and no this is not a beadwindow thingy).

I also suspect that the IRA updated their own ways of firing projectile weapons, after it was realised that firing one from the inside of an Austin mini had its drawbacks:E

whowhenwhy
2nd Nov 2009, 16:02
Many airfields throughout North America use this system and a certain airfield in Hampshire may soon have a similar system :ok:

JW411
2nd Nov 2009, 16:07
The whole of America can be switched on at night with a few clicks of the transmit button.

I've even used the system landing at night on a reserve airfield with 380 US Military on board.

Floppy Link
2nd Nov 2009, 18:06
Not sure about navaids but lots about for lights. Do a search for "pilot controlled lighting"
I know of at least one UK airfield that has them, but it's emergency services only. Quite a few hospital helipads have them.

ft
2nd Nov 2009, 19:56
ESSW and a couple of other fields found here (http://www.lfv.se/upload/ANS/AIP/AD/AD%201/ES_AD_1_1_en.pdf) have PCL, FWIW.

604guy
2nd Nov 2009, 20:42
Very common system here in the Great White North. Google automated airfield lighting or some such phrase and you will gets lots of responses.

CargoMatatu
3rd Nov 2009, 07:03
Nadzab, Papua New Guinea.

When we were flying Hercs there a few years back, the tower would be manned by day but at night keying the mike on the frequency would turn all the lights on.

Shackman
3rd Nov 2009, 08:10
Ellwood HLS (near Newcastle) has it installed for the lights.

clivewatson
3rd Nov 2009, 08:29
Pontoise in France (LFPT) has pilot controlled runway lighting. Not heard of pilot controlled navaids though.

FE Hoppy
3rd Nov 2009, 10:50
There are military training aids that can be radio activated but I wouldn't describe them as nav aids and of course they are off limits to civvy ops.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Nov 2009, 20:20
The original Viet Cong manuals (well in reality often drawn on cardboard or wood) showed how to aim RPG's for example, and then were updated to show in pictorial form how to aim such weapons at helicopters in differing flight regimes

But this was not foolproof. The luckiest helicopter pilot alive had descended into a clearing only to find a VC pointing an RPG7 at him. He took careful aim then swung 2 helicopter lengths to the right before firing.

Charlie Luncher
3rd Nov 2009, 20:28
Quite a few of CTAF Mil/civvy bases or the remote bare bases in the colonies down under use them.
Charlie sends
Wonder what would happen if the terrorist pubso didn't get his Pubs audit return...fatwas all round :bored:

Grond
3rd Nov 2009, 20:58
From hazy memory, Carcassonne in France is the nearest one to home that i can think of. Used to have pilot activated lights.

BALLSOUT
3rd Nov 2009, 23:04
Dinard in northern France, out of hours, a couple of clicks lights up the runway and plays the atis.

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Nov 2009, 00:08
What's it with these 'Random Questions' popping up suddenly?

It's getting like Question Time.

More and more users are doing it now.

Frelon
7th Nov 2009, 17:12
Seems to be a popular idea.

Something along these lines being advertised on FleaBay.

Have a look here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pilot-Controlled-Runway-Helipad-Lighting-Radio_W0QQitemZ180427972327QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CPV_Aviatio n_SM?hash=item2a02585ee7#ht_1220wt_1165),

Get in there quick, only 25 days left!!

Frelon