PDA

View Full Version : At least 6 killed in Russian plane crash

Bobman84
1st Nov 2009, 02:48
At least 6 killed in Russian plane crash: RIA Novosti _English_Xinhua (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-11/01/content_12368390.htm)

MOSCOW, Nov. 1 -- At least six people died when a transport plane crashed Sunday in Russia's far-eastern Yakutia region, RIA Novosti news agency reported. The plane, an Ilyushin transport plane of the Interior Ministry, were carrying 11 people when it crashed at on Sunday morning, a local official told the news agency.
"Six bodies have been found at the site," he said, adding that searching for others on board the plane was continuing. He didn't mention the cause of the accident.

egnxer
1st Nov 2009, 16:01
BBC NEWS | Europe | Russia cargo jet crash kills 11 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8336400.stm)

vovachan
2nd Nov 2009, 01:52
The plane took off, reached 15 m, banked to the right and fell abt 1 km from the runway

Let the speculation begin. I have my theory of another flapless takeoff

Old Fella
2nd Nov 2009, 04:31
Spot on Vovachan. Reading the previous posts and looking at the BBC attachment the aircraft crashed 25Km (15 Miles) from the departure airport. If accident site is correct it is hardly likely to have been caused by a flapless take-off. But as you said, let the speculation begin.

goeasy
2nd Nov 2009, 05:01
Someone getting 15m mixed up here

Asdrius
2nd Nov 2009, 07:23
All russian reports I read tell that IL-76 started to bank right after lift off and crashed very close to the airport.
BBC got mixed up. Probably they thought that 15m from russian reports actually means miles.

GarageYears
2nd Nov 2009, 12:38
Well the FlightGlobal report states 1.5km from the airport, and I doubt very much that there are many airport fire trucks rolling around 15 miles from the airport either (watch the video on the BBC site - at the end). All points to being very near the airport really.

Didn't help the folks inside either way - God rest.

- GY

MajorLemond
2nd Nov 2009, 23:08
Ice accumulation on the ground perhaps? having said that most russian made airliners seem to stop flying if an engine lets go in most circumstances... and most of them look positively dangerous just sitting on the ground (no disrespect intended)

CargoOne
3rd Nov 2009, 21:42
having said that most russian made airliners seem to stop flying if an engine lets go in most circumstances

That's normally the case when aircraft is overloaded by cowboys. Otherwise they are pretty much the same and can handle one engine out take off.

But this one was operated by the State (Ministry of Internal Affairs, = cops and special forces, but not Army) and on a non-commerical mission, so no reason to overload (?).

Avman
3rd Nov 2009, 21:48
Was reported to be empty actually.

Smoketrails
7th Nov 2009, 11:17
Anymore info on this accident?

b_737ng
9th Nov 2009, 13:54
As I know, they had problem with righthand flaps/slats system the day before flight.These problem was being fixed the whole night.