PDA

View Full Version : dispatching flights to below minima

eltazar
31st Oct 2009, 22:53
Hi, as far as I know according to JAR -OPS (now EU-OPS) we can dispatch flights to below minima but we must have 2 above minima destination alternate airport. My question is is there any airline which applies different method for below minima airports. For example choosing a reclear airport on the enroute and check the weather condition of destination over this enroute airport. If the destination is above minimum proceed to destination. If not divert to that enroute alternate. I heard that British Airways use this method. Anyone knows something about that. thnks (ps I have already write this message to dispact section but I do not have any answer yet, so I decide to write here also)

eckhard
1st Nov 2009, 05:40
A large British Airline uses the following philosophy:

At dispatch, enough fuel to reach destination, plus contingency, plus one alternate (two alternates if wx at destination below limits).

During flight, enough fuel to reach two airports where the wx is such that the landing is 'assured', plus Final Reserve (30 minutes).

When within 2 hours of destination, enough fuel to reach two runways where the landing is assured plus FR. If the two runways are on the same airport, then likely ATC delays must be considered.

If ATC delays are known, or an EAT has been issued, enough fuel to reach one runway where the landing is assured, plus FR.

The 're-clear' method you mention is only used to reduce the amount of contingency fuel that needs to be on board at dispatch. Once airborne and close to the re-clearance point, enough fuel must be on board to proceed to destination, plus contingency, plus one or two alternates (depending on weather at destination).

After that, continue as above.

eltazar
1st Nov 2009, 17:11
eckhard thnks for reply, I had known reclear procedre completely as you wrote. May be my managers want to say different things but the idea is define reclear point for below minima airports ( not for all of them), if the real destination airport is above minima when you reach the reclear point continue to destination if below minima divert to reclear airport. ( may be I should find another name instead of reclear :) )

BOAC
1st Nov 2009, 18:52
Surely if you have enough fuel to arrive at DA with alternate on board, you just carry on (if you wish)? You are then 'allowed' to approach and continue to the relevant point at which if the RVR is above your minima you continue, or if not you g/a. No need for any 're-clearance' decisions. The 'decisions' are on-going and part of normal airmanship and do not take place at any particular point.

To answer your question, no, I do not know of any EU airline that does it differently - there may be some that enforce different management criteria but that is from choice and not 'required'.