PDA

View Full Version : Minimum fuel for B744 on very short trips

Walter Sobchak
30th Oct 2009, 17:40
Hello,

I was wondering if any of the B744 operators have a minimum fuel requirement for very short trips in order to avoid the pumps running dry during T/O and climb? Boeing doesn´t mentioning anything.

Krgds.

Walter

Pugilistic Animus
30th Oct 2009, 18:41
well yes due to several reasons your flight manual should mention this,...for it affects ,...I afraid to say it :oh:Vmc:oh: and other stuff,..as well your OpsSpecs 'AOC' may define a minimum fuel qty regardless of structural limits

PA

CR2
30th Oct 2009, 18:56
Used to be 25T. I know some operators were trying to get Boeing to lower that to 20T, but don't know what became of that. There is an aft cg/low weight restriction on the 747-400F. Assuming an empty aircraft, OEW+25T would put you right on the line.

Intruder
30th Oct 2009, 20:40
Our company sez 30 Tonnes.

Avius
30th Oct 2009, 21:33
25t is a good figure.

This will keep the FWD fuel pumps happy, despite the fairly high pitch attitude in climb (as the aircraft is normally quite light in this scenario).

I have seen as little as 22t which results in an FWD fuel pumps message on the EICAS......

CR2
30th Oct 2009, 23:00
I believe the aft cg/low weight restriction is a tail-strike avoidance issue.

Pretty much always low weight unless someone parked some tons of cargo in the tail... typical -F OEW 158-160T depending on engines so around 185T TOW. Homesick angel...

mustafagander
31st Oct 2009, 08:14
Be sure that you satisfy min in flight weight!

My mob specify 25T min fuel and 170 T min in flight weight.

Not a problem anymore, OEW around 180T with all the IFE and stuff.

Phil Squares
31st Oct 2009, 09:22
Places I have flown the 744, min fuel for departure has been either 25T or 50,000 Lbs. Take your pick. It depends on the operator.

Flight Detent
31st Oct 2009, 13:13
G'day guys...

I'm interested to 'hear' that CR2 still uses the Boeing term OEW (Operating Empty Weight) in lieu of the common aviation term ZFW (Zero Fuel Weight), which is as 'close is to dammit' the same thing in it's general meaning.

The other day I was on the line to a Boeing fuel systems DE (Design Engineer) and he told me, amongst other things, that, in our specific 737 manuals, there is a note that basically says that, that OEW is, for all intents and purposes, to be taken as the same meaning.

Cheers...FD...:)

CR2
31st Oct 2009, 15:03
No it ain't, not even close... ZFW and OEW are completely different things.

OEW + payload = ZFW... Of course if you are empty then OEW does equal ZFW, but the general idea is not to fly empty :)