PDA

View Full Version : Waddo 2001

PaulDeGearup
1st Jul 2001, 21:13
As an ex mate I dragged nagger and kids to Waddo Airhow but was, frankly V disappointed.

Took 2 hours to get in ( I live 3 miles from Waddo) and the static park was a shambles of aged RAF airplanes and a few Tornados and I thought that the inclusion of the Israeli AF was a tad non PC.

The Big Airplane park include the C 17 but no VC 10 or Tristar.

What is going on ?

Don't the RAF have enough jets to provide a decent static park ?

The best bit of the flying display were the French - come on boys let's get real here its ur shop window and would you want to shop there again ?

X Blunty
1st Jul 2001, 22:10
I hate to break the habit of a lifetime... and jump to the defence of aircrew but...

Airshows are all very exciting for members of the general public and aircraft spotters, but bear in mind those aircrew who have to fly their jets to each show, sit on the ground all weekend and fly home again. Those same aircrew, depending on aircraft type, are undergoing numerous detachments, unsociable hours, secondary duties etc etc etc. Morale is already at an all time low, RAF personnel (not just aircrew) are being stretched to their limits and spend far too much time away from their families as it is.

Maybe that time away is justified in many cases... but to sit on a pan, answering the same old questions from people out on a jolly with their families for the weekend seems more than a little unfair.

PaulDeGearup... have things changed so much since you left, or have you forgotten what it feels like to spend an inordinnate amount of time from your family?

Blue Stuff
1st Jul 2001, 22:54
X Blunty,

I copy your points re. weekends away from families, answering boring / repetitive / inane questions, etc. However, if the event was really as wanting as Paul describes, is it not in everybody's interests to ensure that we put on a good show? I know that a good deal of time and effort is expended by numerous people in publicising our Service, and I don't mean to knock 'em. That said, Heaven knows, apart from the airshows, a good deal of the publicity enjoyed(?) by the RAF comes in the form of low-flying complaints or tabloid 'exclusives' about Wg Cdr X running off with SAC Y.

I couldn't visit the Waddington show, so I'm in no position to comment on its content, but would you agree that for RAF airshows in general, it is important that we make it worthwhile for those people who DO give up their weekends in the manner you describe, by making sure that we put on a really good show every time?

I've got no problem with the Israeli AF participating - adds to the variety! Anybody else visit Waddo?

Regards,

Blue.

X Blunty
1st Jul 2001, 23:16
Blue

I don't disagree with anything you say. I have been a PRO on a flying station and have had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to ensure that the service enjoys some positive PR, but I do feel that it is counter-productive to ensure PR at the expense of those individuals concerned.

It is time that someone(?) questioned the PR value of station airshows which despite everyone's best efforts fail to impress. Station airshows create a tremendous amount of work for those involved, both on the station and the visiting crews. I feel that if the Waddington airshow was that poor, the only PR value achieved was negative. Station airshows which fail to satisfy the public are counter-productive and in the end do not benefit anyone.

Perhaps it would be better if everyone's efforts were put into one airshow that truly reflects the image all involved would like to convey... IAT?

Blue Stuff
2nd Jul 2001, 12:22
X,

I agree with your point - if you cannot do something properly, you probably shouldn't do it at all. I don't doubt the amount of work involved in organising a Stn airshow, but has it always proven so difficult to secure appearances (static or flying) by a wide variety of types, or has this problem been exacerbated by the down-sizing of the last twenty years? I recall visiting numerous airshows at Finingley which were absolutely cracking - and not just because they had four Vulcans displaying at once!

Given the relative in-exposure of the general public to the Services, do you believe that Stn airshows are still important in raising awareness, provided that they can be conducted effectively, or would you still opt in favour of just a couple of larger events? I think it would be a shame if we had to go down that route, as we've heard on other threads recently about the problems already faced by people trying to get to airshows. If the number of shows was reduced to a few select events, forcing punters to drive further to see them, do you think that people might just not bother? I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do know that airshows still rank as one of the most popular forms of mass entertainment; it would be a shame to see them dry up. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Regards,

Blue.

[Edited twice for poor expression ... illiterate git!]

[This message has been edited by Blue Stuff (edited 02 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Blue Stuff (edited 02 July 2001).]

Tilt&Gain
2nd Jul 2001, 19:12
Paul,

I brought an FJ aircraft in to Waddo this year and apologise that the display we put on FOR YOU was not up to your expectations. The show couldn't have been too bad as we managed to attract another 79999 punters who mostly seemed to be quite happy.
Yes, I agree, the traffic situation was not good however, did you use the park & ride that was laid on? (most buses I saw were max half full) - and, if you only live 3 miles from the base could you not walk? Or do you need to run your car engine for 2 hours to add the the pollution problem?

You have answered your own question regarding the static park. Correct, the RAF do not have enough aircraft AVAILABLE to put on a big static display. From what I saw, the ONLY fixed wing aircraft missing were the VC10 and Tristar. These guys are probably the most overworked of all of the fleets in the force and probably did not have an aircraft or a crew available due to the ever increasing commitments we are asked to fill.

Please remember, most of the static crews are volunteers. I expect (myself included) that they returned home to a normal week's work with no time off for the 20+ hours worked for the public's benefit over the weekend.

Comments such as 'the static park was a shambles' and 'I was frankly V disappointed' will not be well received by me or anyone else who gave up a lot of time in organizing and taking part in the show.

Now, I may be proved wrong by the flood of posts that will appear on this thread but comments like yours will only discourage the RAF from organizing any more public events for YOUR benefit and should be kept to yourself rather than having a dig at the service because the show wasn't really good enough for you.

By the way...what would you have done differently?

Edited as my typing in an enraged state of mind is not good.

[This message has been edited by Tilt&Gain (edited 02 July 2001).]

newswatcher
2nd Jul 2001, 19:43
Report from Lincolnshire Echo:

"Jumanji the African owl was happy to sit back and watch planes take to the sky this weekend.

Jumanji, from the Raptor Foundation bird of prey hospital based in Cambridgeshire, came to Waddington Air Show to take advantage of the record crowds and raise money for the centre.

More than 160,000 people came through the gates during the weekend, 10,000 more than last year's record figure.

Organisers believe good weather and the cancellation of major events, such as the Lincolnshire Show, contributed to the crowd.
But displays given by the Red Arrows, the Swiss Air Force's F/A 18 and the Hungarian MiG 29 also attracted aviation fans.

Air show co-ordinator Paul Byram said: "We had a very good programme and the crowd enjoyed it."

AllTrimDoubt
2nd Jul 2001, 20:44
Paul

I would have to second the comments made by Tilt above. Having given up my weekend to bring one of the exhibits to the "shambolic" static park I too feel upset that we did not give you your ££'s worth. Funny that so many others appeared happy and content.

Things ARE more stretched in all 3 services, but please don't knock those who give up their time freely to promote it as best we can, or those who put in an enormous effort to organise and run the damn thing.

(as an aside here...thanks to Aircrew Hosting for an excellent w/e. Top job guys)

...and to X Blunty; I suggest the only reason you are against airshows is because it involves a bit more work from you in the first place!

------------------
Just Lookout and Fly Accurately Bloggs!

prestbury boy
2nd Jul 2001, 20:46
A 10 Sqn VC10 was due to go- a crew and jet were allocated- but was cancelled a few weeks ago because the organisers had "something better."

Tigs
2nd Jul 2001, 21:44
AllTrimDout
Its very unusual for me to jump to the aid of a blunty, but I do feel that if you re-read X's comments, he does seem to be actually fighting the cause of aircrew. He acknowledges that we are all working at over-streach.
Regards

[This message has been edited by Tigs (edited 02 July 2001).]

AllTrimDoubt
2nd Jul 2001, 22:42
Tigs

Agree, but most of us (from the aircrew side at least) volunteer for these shows. There is an element of fun involved too! Quite often, despite the time away, they are one of the few fun things left. I thought the rationale behind the RAF concentrating on one or two major shows WAS to give the best on offer.

If X Blunty is onside, then no worries, but having just experienced Waddo for the nth time as a participant, I take exception to criticism of others doing their best to make the show a success in trying times.

------------------
Just Lookout and Fly Accurately Bloggs!

Scorpius
2nd Jul 2001, 23:43
There is one thing true in life - you can't please every one! Having personally put a lot of time and effort into the airshow it's fairly obvious from some of the comments that some have never been that involved in trying to organise such an event. I certainly did not volunteer to do the task I was given - however, I did it to the best of my ability. The bottom line - it is a business and it must make enough money to survive. If you have ever been in Paul Byram's office on any day leading up to the event you will understand how much work there is! As for the Israelis - although this was on very dodgy ground - they certainly provided a lot of interset from the general public who flocked in their thousands to see their flying display and also their ground display - with some state of the art kit I can tell you. Having such a variety of aircraft at this event has helped to establish this event as one of the top shows in Europe - after talking to Paul earlier, the initial estimate could be as high as 200,000 people over the weekend. Most of whom seemed very happy with the event.

Personally, the last 2 weeks have been a complete nightmare for me - and as a result I am now seriously thinking of making my living with Mr Branson if he will have me! There is no way I'm going to put my family 2nd again like I did for this air show. Sorry I can't give any specifics as I don't want to compromise myself - not yet anyway. Still mustn't grumble!

Hidden Dragon
3rd Jul 2001, 00:41
As another who contributed to the poor RAF display by bring a jet into Waddo, let me profusely apologise. Obviously I'd rather be at home with my family but needs must etc.

I'm also sure that the poor souls who had to get up at 5am for the Mon morn FOD plod were glad that you find it so easy to rubbish their efforts.

For what it's worth, Waddington (this year) has been the best (and best organised) airshow I've attended (out of 8, inc Mildenhall).

------------------
--
HD

Cattivo
3rd Jul 2001, 01:06
X Blunty

I appreciate your interest in aircrew welfare but as far as I'm concerned being asked to go and do an airshow is a bonus not a chore (and I do work a lot of weekends) as it usually means being on the lash with the boys for most of the weekend and having a great laugh. I'm not the only one surely?

The Gorilla
3rd Jul 2001, 01:33
As someone who has spent the last weekend and a lot more besides, being on show for the stashes OBE, I can confirm that there were a lot of unhappy people about. Indeed I felt the rough end of 2 punters tongues on Sunday!! However there were far more thousands of people who enjoyed the event to the full. Tis very true that both the flying display and the static lines were not as good as in previous years but yer average anorak got a very good deal for his money.

Those who know me, will tell you I am not in any way shape or form, RAF committed and I don't like working weekends more than any thing else. But we must not forget that Waddo airshow is a CHARITY event that is targeted directly at our own service charities, ie the RAF association and the Benevolent fund.
I kinda look upon it as putting insurance in the bank. I hope both organisations will be there and well funded if I ever need to call upon them!!

You can't please everybody all the time, it was hard work but well worth it. I am off to bed now!!

Snapshot
3rd Jul 2001, 01:34
All participating aircrew, especially those parked on the VAS section on Sunday, please drop me an e-mail as I have plenty of decent photographs taken on Sunday.
Regards
Snaps

Snapshot
3rd Jul 2001, 01:59
Anyone see the Yak v Ford Focus? Should make an interesting insurance claim.
Was going to leave it for a caption competition. Not sure if I should post the photographs here?
Snaps.

Mad Pax
3rd Jul 2001, 02:14
Didn't go myself, but a mate spent the show working in the RAFA tent and said it all sounded bloody good, so a happy aural customer !!!
Paul, have you ever been involved directly with one of these 'disappointments'?

Snapshot
3rd Jul 2001, 05:46
One for the 56 mates.
http://members.tripod.co.uk/AvCollect/pprune/5_28s_web.jpg
Snapshot
www.AvCollect.com (http://www.AvCollect.com)

Tilt&Gain
3rd Jul 2001, 16:37
Mmmmmmmm, thought this might happen!
Anyone who was involved with the aircrew hosting side of the show - please pass on huge thanks from 'Stella'. Top effort.

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2001, 17:22
What really is sad is that there is now only one Battle of Britain air display (apart from the RAFA's at Shoreham) and that is at Leuchars.

While most spotters will probably make the trip north, a large tranche of the public will not/can not.

BEagle
3rd Jul 2001, 23:59
In 1977, I had to hold at RAF Biggin Hill. One day we moved a filing cabinet; a dusty old periodical fell out from behind it dated 1950-something. In it, it said 'Of the 34 Home Command stations in Southern England holding 'At Home days' this summer........'

RAF Merryfield 'At Home', 18th September 1954, Flying Programme:

Air Sea Rescue demonstration by a Helicopter.

Formation aerobatics by Meteors from the RAF station at Weston Zoyland and Vampires from Merryfield.

Demonstration flying by a Wyvern and a Helicopter, by courtesy of Westland Aircraft Limited.

Solo aerobatics by Chipmunk, Meteor, Balliol, Provost and Vampire aircraft.

Height and Speed judging contest.

Breaking the sound barrier by a Sabre of Fighter Command.

Mock attack by Vampires on a position defended by guns manned by the RAF Regiment.

During the afternoon, formations of aircraft will be flying over the airfield.

At the end of the Display, visiting aircraft from the Static Park (Vampire 5, Vampire 11, Venom, Prentice, Meteor 7, Lincoln, Varsity, Provost, Harvard, Balliol, Chipmunk, Anson, Auster, Tempest, Sabre, Wyvern, S51 and Meteor NF 11) will take-off and fly past before returning to their bases.

Isn't it all so pathetic nowadays?

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 03 July 2001).]

UnderPowered
4th Jul 2001, 00:43
XBlunty - total respect for your comments.

I believe the disappointing turnout was a true sign of the times, and maybe its exactly what we should be showing the public as its a true reflection of the state of the RAF.

What amazes me is that when we're so desperate for strategic airlift that we have to lease C-17, we than park 50% of that strat airlift idle in a static park for 24 hrs.

Having done plenty of airshows, I believe Waddo is one of the best value for money shows, and one of the best for hosting, and I (and many of my mates) think IAT sucks - £29.50 on the gate per body, and utterly crap treatment from the organizers. I heard this Sunday that for all that, Waddo will give about £225K to charity (2 day show) - IAT give £100K to charity in the whole year.

------------------
Land with 3 greens

Snapshot
4th Jul 2001, 01:38
A couple of images from the day.
Pete Sharp about to taxi for the Hawk display, with inbound 'Mighty Hunter' approaching at a fair rate.
http://members.tripod.co.uk/AvCollect/pprune/hawk_pprune.jpg

The Botswana Strikemaster, gorgeous!
http://members.tripod.co.uk/AvCollect/pprune/strike_pprune.jpg
Snaps.

Man-on-the-fence
4th Jul 2001, 02:10
Underpowered

It wss about £500K the year before last I believe. But dont lets let the facts get in the way of a good rant about RIAT.

Gainesy
4th Jul 2001, 11:49
I'm with Underpowered, £29.50 per person is exorbitant for an airshow.

Man-on-the-fence
4th Jul 2001, 13:05
£29.90 overpriced for an airshow??
Lets see how that compares (It is a days entertainment remember)
Football(1st Divison and above) £25 90mins
Formula 1 £80 just to get on the circuit
Opera £50+ for about 2 hours
etc etc....

Now I am not saying it is cheap, but it isnt that bad. Plus if you buy ticket in advance there is money knocked off.

For Joe Publics point of view it is good value. If you are used to seeing these things every day then I guess you might baulk at the price.

Its mpore expensive than most others (they're free in the USA)but it is bigger and better. As an "end user" just my two penneth.

[This message has been edited by Man-on-the-fence (edited 04 July 2001).]

EESDL
4th Jul 2001, 15:25
I thought it was common knowledge that when RIAT was held at Fairford, it managed just to break even, after expenses. It does generate a lot of money but unfortunately, in this day and age, a lot of bills are generated as well:-(
Fact: Relatively 'Bugger all' is donated to RAFA from RIAT.
Now let's all see you down at Shoreham on the 1 Sep........it's nice of those chaps to put on an airshow just to celebrate my birthday!!! No drinking there then........

Blacksheep
5th Jul 2001, 09:09
Many thanks from this life member of RAFA to all those serving the nation in the youngest and best of the three services, the Royal Air Force. I fell in love with aviation at a crappy little Battle of Britain open day at RAF Thornaby (where the hell's that I hear you say?) in 1950something and I still have the picture of me sitting in a Meteor cockpit that day.

One grown up baby might have been disappointed by the turn out of aircraft but there were tens of thousands of small boys left Waddington that weekend, knowing exactly what they wanted to do when they grow up. At the end of the day, its all about recruiting. I can still recall the smell of that 'Meatbox' cockpit today.

Don't ever get too jaded to be an aviation enthusiast. The next step is a meatbox of a different kind...

Through difficulties to the cinema

Suit
5th Jul 2001, 18:20
BEagle,

Oh you are so right!

A large part of my own inspiration to join the RAF was family attendance at the then RAF Gaydon and RAF Finingley Battle of Britain days and RAF at home displays at RAF Wellesbourne Mountford and Honiley.

My uncle was ex aircrew and an Air Traffiker at a few of these places and we always attended in the officers enclosure, had a tour of the place the day before and my parents attended the ball in the mess in the evening.

White mk 1 V-bombers, travelling formations of aircraft, role demo's by everything from fighters to transports and set piece demo's gave a wonderful overview of the variety of tasks, aircraft and roles in the RAF.

There were no specially selected display crews, just the RAF showing the taxpayer what it was capable of and how it did it.

They were marvellous recruiting and PR tools and did wonders for relations with the local community, they certainly impressed this young lad and as a result all I wanted to do was join the RAF and fly.

The highlight for me was always the V-Bomber scramble and formation Hunter aerobatics.

Happy days! (long gone, but never to return?)

------------------
If the suit fits.........

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 19:03
As no one seems to like any of my shots (AND because I did the mad dogs and Englishmen routine and got me legs toasted!), I have posted some more! So there!! Boo Hiss!
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/1_28.jpg
Hungarian Mig

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/1_36_02.jpg
Our friends from Israel in the Eagle
Snaps http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

tiggy
5th Jul 2001, 19:24
Aww, snapshot, I think your photos are ace! Any chance of any rotary type ones for a helo junkie??

(edited for peer spooling)

[This message has been edited by tiggy (edited 05 July 2001).]

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 19:39
Tiggy,
feel better now :) ta!
Did you want photographs from the show? If so, here's a BE
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/2_10.jpg
Or is there another type you want?
Mad as it seems, I have posted 4 helo piccies into the 'Traditional Sqn Songs' thread.
Snaps ;)

To Baldly Go
5th Jul 2001, 20:31
With the greatest respect to Snapshot, free pictures of the Airshow can be obtained from www.raf-waddington.com/airshow.htm (http://www.raf-waddington.com/airshow.htm) While the photogs are not professionals, they were giving up their time for the event, which did seem to be very successful (traffic problems and late cancellations notwithstanding). It still beats IAT into a cocked hat and the IAF was a real coup, being the first ever display by the F-15I outside Israel. Well done the organisors!

[This message has been edited by To Baldly Go (edited 05 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by To Baldly Go (edited 05 July 2001).]

tiggy
5th Jul 2001, 20:52
Snaps - cheers for the photo, :). Checked out the other thread too.
Anymore photos greatly appreciated and enjoyed!!!

Seven of Nine
5th Jul 2001, 21:28
Did watching the F15I make anyone else wonder what life could have been like in the RAF? I was green with envy.

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 21:28
To Baldly Go,
thanks for the link to Waddo, have looked and cannot find anywhere to contact the webmaster to tell them they can use ANY of my photographs (for free).
I was already intending to put a high res CD together for the organisers of Waddington airshow, so thay can use my images for advertising if they want to or the brochure for next year?
I also paid 12 quid to get in, was not paid by anyone to take the photographs and doubt I shall ever get a penny from anyone.
Just in case anyone else thinks Im raking it in, my photographs have already been sent to the Hawk display team for F/L Pete Sharp to use as he feels fit (my photographs are also on the new Hawk Display video cover, again I have never asked for or received any money!) .
Photographs have been sent to the Pilot of the F-15 IAF to thank him for an awesome display and the Nimrod dudes (via the US ha!). I was also up until 0300 this morning scanning photographs for the Harrier team! In fact, over the years, my photographs have appeared in RAF News, AirClues, Strike Safety, Navy News and who know's what else, I have NEVER asked for one penny from the system for my images or received one! Just doing my part for PR and seeing my photographs in the mags is reward enough.
If anyone knows who the StrikeMaster pilot was (was talking to him but forgot his name) or the 56 F3 mates, I shall send them some too. Wont bother with Binnsy ha!, he's got enough.
One last thing, I should have a series of photographs taken at Waddo on my website at www.AvCollect.com (http://www.AvCollect.com) in the next few days.
Have not had a moan for a while!
PMT!
Ta Snaps.
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/1_18.jpg

[This message has been edited by Snapshot (edited 05 July 2001).]

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 21:35
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/2_17.jpg
No more now, :) promise!!
Snappers.

To Baldly Go
5th Jul 2001, 22:45
Snaps,

Sorry for misinterpreting your site - the photos are splendid and, I assumed, commercial. I for one am very suprised you don't make money at this game! If you want to contact the Waddo webmaster, [email protected] should do the trick! Cheers, Baldly

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 23:02
Baldly,
thanks for the reply, apologies if it sounded a bit strong. I shall send an e-mail to the Waddington webmaster.
Sometimes it is interesting just what people think? Things like "I wish I had your job" blah blah. I doubt anyone would really stick it if they knew how much effort, time and costs were involved.
My money is in the limited edition aviation and motorsport art world. So if anyone wants to contribute to Snapshots pension, please check out my website under ART. :) Ha! Ha!
Snaps

Didntdoit
5th Jul 2001, 23:25
Snappers!

I've seen this tone b4!!!!

;-)

------------------
....wasn't there, you can't prove I did it!

Snapshot
5th Jul 2001, 23:27
Didntdoit,
? Not sure what that meant?
Snaps

Didntdoit
6th Jul 2001, 01:33
Snappers

Mis-ident - disregard please.

soz

------------------
....wasn't there, you can't prove I did it!

f4aviation
6th Jul 2001, 02:36
Snaps,

Twelve quid don't get you where you got...Great shots though, I'll show you mine soon.

Snapshot
6th Jul 2001, 02:45
F4,
I give you my word, I paid my entry like the rest of em. I have the ticket with the Arrows on it to prove it. I have not attended an airshow for nearly two years, I just fancied a day out and to meet a few 'mates'. I sorted my location once there. I did not apply for a press pass. Perhaps I should ask for a free on next year?

Thanks for the comments on my 'shots', looked at your website, got me in the Links but just under photography! How about the awesome Banana jet? www.BlackburnBuccaneer.co.uk (http://www.BlackburnBuccaneer.co.uk)
or Aviation art www.AvCollect.com (http://www.AvCollect.com)
Promise to put a write up about your site on our Buccaneer tribute CD.
AB.
Snaps.

[This message has been edited by Snapshot (edited 05 July 2001).]

skua
6th Jul 2001, 11:34
Snaps
If the Strikemaster was the one that also appeared at Aerofair, which I believe to be the case, the pilot would probably have been Tom Maloney, the boss of Transair.

Snapshot
6th Jul 2001, 12:09
Skua,
thanks mate, got that now, I think you are right.
Regards
snaps

Chairborne 09.00hrs
6th Jul 2001, 15:21
Snaps - I know you know this, as does my good friend f4 - but for the benefit of all other Ppruners: having a Press Pass does not mean you get unlimited access to Grade 1 photo-opportunities. Often the reverse, in fact!

SPIT
6th Jul 2001, 23:13
Iwas at Waddo for the SAT display and frankly I do not know why the USAF B1-B
displayed at all as I have seen many displays and his was NOT A MEMORABLE DISPLAY.
I hear that he did a BETTER display on the Sunday but not having seen it I will make NO comment. As for the IAF static display on the Sat it was one of the BEST I have seen anywhere.Again I believe that there Flying Display on the Sunday was SUPER and the sooner they return the better.

Snapshot
7th Jul 2001, 00:03
Chairborne,
thank you for your reply, I agree with you on the press facilities, it is frustrating when we (photographers) have one goal which is to get the best photographs we can and our whole day is taken up with this quest! We can sometimes feel we are kept too far away from aircraft, or feel there is not enough done to accommodate our needs! However, the organisers have a duty to keep the airfield safe. I personally have been amazed at some of the things I have seen over the years where security has or could have been breached and a potential disaster could have occurred.
Snapshot.

Snapshot
7th Jul 2001, 02:01
SPIT,
just for you!! :)
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Buccaneer/wadd/5_12.jpg
Snapshot

TheNightOwl
7th Jul 2001, 11:32
Re the Waddington show: For an antipodean ex-RAF sim. tech. (Lossie), can anyone tell me if a video of the show is available and, if "yes", how can I get on sent to me in Aus.?

Kind regards to all,

TheNightOwl.

RICKO
7th Jul 2001, 13:02
Try the Waddington official Air Show Web Site
they produce one every year.
Believe me if the video is half as good as the show was it will be worth seeing.
Take a look at some of SNAPPERS shots on
WADDO 2001

Chox Away
7th Jul 2001, 18:58
Spit- You heard right. I saw the B1-B on both Sat & Sun, and it did perform slightly better on the Sun. It's first pass (wings back)was faster & louder & showed more of its belly to the crowd. It also made one or two more slow passes than it did on Sat, but overall, still not as good as I know they can do.

Snaps - Super snaps. Great site too! :eek:

Snapshot
7th Jul 2001, 20:39
All,
I have finally managed to get over 70 photographs from Waddo onto my site.
The wx was lousy for photographs for most of Sunday (the day I was there) but you are all invited to take a look. Apologies as they are only standard 'airshow' photographs but it was a great day out and havent been to a show for two years!
My normal web address is down!! so please use www.AvCollect.co.uk (http://www.AvCollect.co.uk)
Snappers :)

SPIT
9th Jul 2001, 03:49
SNAPSHOT
Thank for the super photo of the IAF F15i.

f4aviation
14th Jul 2001, 00:07
For lots more Waddo piccies see our mega-report at Air-Scene UK http://www.f4aviation.co.uk

Enjoy!!

coley
16th Jul 2001, 15:06
Just think of all the poor blunties who had even sh*tter jobs than aircrew....

The poor bloggs on gates doing Foot and Mouth or the security bods...... :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: