PDA

View Full Version : Sick pilot unable to land Qantas jet in Perth

av8trflying
30th Oct 2009, 02:22
A QANTAS plane landed safely in Perth this morning after calling for assistance when a pilot became incapacitated.

The airline confirmed that flight QF593 from Adelaide had issued a “pan" alert and asked to be met by an ambulance after one of the pilots suffered a health issue (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26280689-601,00.html), The Australian reports.
The Qantas 737-800 from Adelaide carrying 110 passengers left Adelaide about 6.50am (local time) and touched down in Perth at 7.30am.

An emergency was declared by the co-pilot and air traffic control vectored the aircraft onto the longest runway 21/03, thewest.com.au reports (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/6407528/plane-drama-at-perth-airport/).

After touch down the aircraft came to a halt on the runway and a tug was required to tow it to Perth’s Qantas domestic terminal.

YoDawg
30th Oct 2009, 02:35
An ambulance attended the airport to treat the captain as he walked off the plane.

Terrible journalism: it's an aircraft; not a 'plane.'

DirectAnywhere
30th Oct 2009, 02:40
From the SMH:

An emergency was declared at Perth Airport this morning when a Qantas 737-800 landed with an incapacitated captain in the cockpit.

The plane landed safely with 110 passengers onboard traveling from Adelaide.

The flight QF593 left Adelaide about 6.50am (local time) and touched down in Perth at 7.30am.

The co-pilot and air traffic control navigated the aircraft onto the airport's longest runway and after it touched down, a tug was used to tow it to the Qantas domestic terminal.

An ambulance attended the airport to treat the captain as he walked off the plane.

He has since been taken to a Perth hospital to be checked-out and will remain in Perth to recover.

Qantas spokeswoman Kristy McSweeney said the captain had suffered from a "minor" health problem in the air and called ahead for the ambulance.

It is understood the captain fell sick about an hour away from Perth.

Ms McSweeney said the captain was not integral to the take-off or landing of a plane, with the first officer capable of landing the plane safely.

She said the flight was not delayed and the plane will continue on its planned flights.

And my favourite bit:

Ms McSweeney said the captain was not integral to the take-off or landing of a plane, with the first officer capable of landing the plane safely.

Can see the subsequent NTFS now:

NTFS 381/2009

All Captains are hereby summarily dismissed as they are no longer deemed integral to the operation.

First Officers and Second Officers may now consider themselves Captains, until they too are no longer are integral to the operation, in which case clause 1 of this NTFS will apply.

How I love Corporate Communications.:ok:

Politically_Blonde
30th Oct 2009, 03:25
Why would they have needed a tug?

tio540
30th Oct 2009, 03:33
Why would they have needed a tug?

Think about it!

Pegasus747
30th Oct 2009, 03:43
i certainly appreciate the odd tug now and again myself i am sure a first officer is not immune to the significant benefits :)

b_sta
30th Oct 2009, 04:04
Thank god that FO knew how to land the plane, who knows what could have happened :ok:

Watchdog
30th Oct 2009, 04:06
:E good one Pegasus....

Glad it was a "happy ending" in Perth :E

training wheels
30th Oct 2009, 04:45
Think about it!

Just a guess, but would it be that the ambulance was waiting at the end of the runway after they touched down to take the Captain away ASAP? In so doing the engines were shutdown, and thus the requirement for a tug back to the terminal?

Tiger35
30th Oct 2009, 04:52
and the QF media woman says:

"Qantas spokeswoman Kristy McSweeney said the captain had suffered from a "minor" health problem in the air and called ahead for the ambulance.
It is understood the captain fell sick about an hour away from Perth.

She said the flight was not delayed and the plane will continue on its planned flights."

Watch out QF skippers, you are no longer required in the cockpit.

Sorry boys and girls, didn't see the first post.

woftam
30th Oct 2009, 04:53
The simple reason for requiring a tug is that QF 737's do not have a steering tiller on the F/O's side.

DirectAnywhere
30th Oct 2009, 04:54
Furthermore, the nose in guidance is configured for the pilot in the left hand seat. SOPs dictate that the aircraft will be parked by the pilot in the left hand seat.

If the left hand seat pilot is incapacitated a shut down and tow-in is required.

littlehurcules
30th Oct 2009, 05:05
Geez:eek: - how many H/S exits are there at PH - if the FO had a fighting chance at making a H/S then he prob would have taken it off the runway - next time have a good at taking a 90degree exit with just the rudders

nitpicker330
30th Oct 2009, 05:06
Wow, another slow news day in Oz.

The F/O if he was game maybe could have used the rudder and differential brakes to get off the runway then stop to be towed, however nothing wrong with what he did.:ok:

The parking from left seat only thing can be forgotten by simply asking for a marshall. However on the 73 that wouldn't help as there is no tiller on the right ( as pointed out above )

Capt Claret
30th Oct 2009, 05:19
The simple reason for requiring a tug is that QF 737's do not have a steering tiller on the F/O's side.

Aren't the recall items for pilot incpacitation of the captain, according to folk lore:
Call CSM
Have impostor removed from LHS
Take rightful seat
Log command hours

Tongue in cheek folks.

Geez - how many H/S exits are there at PH

NONE.

DirectAnywhere
30th Oct 2009, 05:24
The parking from left seat only thing can be forgotten by simply asking for a marshall

Not true as per SOPs. Doesn't matter whether there's a marshaller or not. LHS pilot will park the aeroplane.

nitpicker330
30th Oct 2009, 05:43
Strange system you have in QF!!

Most other Airlines in the World allow the F/O to park the Aircraft IF the tiller is fitted AND the docking system can be used from the right seat, or a marshall is in place.

We've been allowing this for years in CX and not once has anything un-toward occured. I've found most F/O's quite able to park the beast.
With the Captain backing up on the brakes and watching the terribly complicated taxying manoeuvre it's a no brainer.:cool:

DirectAnywhere
30th Oct 2009, 06:06
Yup. But whaddya do? Them's the SOPs.:)

CharlieLimaX-Ray
30th Oct 2009, 06:39
The following SOP's apply when the Captain becomes incapicitated,

1. Make a note of the exact time so that you can log it as command time and also claim the extra pay for being the captain,

2. Remove crusty old fart from the LHS, may require the assistance of Flight Attendants this is where that recently completed CRM course comes in handy

3. Remove wallet from crusty old farts pocket and take any excess cash etc,

4. Take photo on your mobile in the Captains seat and email to wife, mistress, family and to that cranky old flying instructor that said you would never amount to anything.

5. Get company ops to contact your stockbroker then Harry M Miller,

6. Then get ready to land this sucker without all that advice coming from crusty old fart in the LHS seat.

On a more serious side hope the QF Captain is back in the cockpit asap and a job well done by the FO

The_Pharoah
30th Oct 2009, 06:47
gotta love journalists. The actual story on news.com.au was portrayed on the webpage as:

Sick pilot unable to land Qantas plane (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,26280861-5014090,00.html)

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,7116393,00.jpg (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,26280861-5014090,00.html)
CO-PILOT forced to land plane after captain becomes sick during flight with 110 people on board.

Pilot: Passengers told to pray (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,26280186-5014090,00.html)</B></SPAN>Notice how 'Pilot: Passengers told to pray' was immediately below the story as if its somehow linked??? #hit stirrers is what they are. :rolleyes:

Going Boeing
30th Oct 2009, 07:15
Nitpicker, no one in Qantas thinks that the F/O can't safely park the aircraft, but when you have a management that is paranoid about keeping the insurance premiums as low as possible then you get SOPS like these.

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2009, 08:25
Claret and Charlie Lima Xray,

You both forgot one thing:

Pull out your seniority list and cross him off! :ok:

PS: I hope the poor guy pulls through OK!

Capt Kremin
30th Oct 2009, 08:54
Well its no wonder the Captain had an issue. The "photo" on the News.com.au website is a QF 787. The Captain obviously suffered a seven years temporal displacement!! Maybe he went to some strange parallel dimension where the thing is actually flying? (Cue Twilight Zone theme)

One wonders why the FO was not similiarly affected.......... an alien perhaps?:confused:

Better get News.com.au on to it!

Going Boeing
30th Oct 2009, 09:08
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,7116575,00.jpg

tea & bikkies
30th Oct 2009, 09:21
Its just a dream and maybe one day, it will too require a tug..:}

inxs
30th Oct 2009, 11:26
Quote:Why would they have needed a tug?

Think about it!

bahahahahhahaha !!!! ..what a crack-up

Peter Fanelli
30th Oct 2009, 12:53
We've been allowing this for years in CX and not once has anything un-toward occured. I've found most F/O's quite able to park the beast.
With the Captain backing up on the brakes and watching the terribly complicated taxying manoeuvre it's a no brainer.

And just how many 737's with tillers on the right side does CX have?

Capt Claret
30th Oct 2009, 13:05
Back in the days of the Airlink/QantasLink BAe146, even with a tiller on the RHS, the F/O was, sadly, prohibited by SOP from taxiing. :{

Shot Nancy
30th Oct 2009, 13:09
I have never flown the hub-capped maggot so help me out. No NWS on the FO's side, so if the NWS is INOP what does the MEL say?
Some people might be surprised to know that there are jets out there that rely on full rudder then differential braking for directional control.
Oh and well done to the FO.

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2009, 13:29
Claret,
Airlink/QantasLink BAe146, even with a tiller on the RHS, the F/O was, sadly, prohibited by SOP from taxiing.
with you in said seat, was it any wonder? :}:):ouch:

No NWS on the FO's side, so if the NWS is INOP what does the MEL say?
My Boeing one says ya can't go. For pretty obvious reasons, I would have thought.

Some people might be surprised to know that there are jets out there that rely on full rudder then differential braking for directional control.

The Mirage was like that. :ok: Oh, and the Macchi too.

Eclan
30th Oct 2009, 13:32
Yes the 737 does have nose wheel steering on the FO's side. It is controlled with the rudder pedals but the pedals have limited authority compared to the tiller on the capt's side. Both pilots have nose wheel steering.

Under favourable conditions, the aircraft can be turned 90deg to exit a runway with pedal control of the nose wheel and a given amount of differential thrust and/or and braking. If the FO did not do this, that's his choice and perfectly sound.

Some people get really excited about nothing.

HotDog
30th Oct 2009, 13:37
Not familiar with the 737 but the 747 rudder pedals are coupled to the steering control system. Full rudder deflection provides about 10 degrees of nose wheel steering as against of 70 degrees tiller authority. Should be enough to vacate the runway at a high speed turnoff with rudder steering only if the right hand tiller is not fitted on QF 737s and if the system design is similar to the 747?

Eclan, you have beaten me to it.

Bla Bla Bla
30th Oct 2009, 13:56
I'm afraid I can't come into work, I'm sick.

How sick are you?

Well I'm in bed with my sister!

inxs
30th Oct 2009, 16:05
Oh, and the Macchi too.
Oh... the memories...;)

kellykelpie
30th Oct 2009, 16:53
The Captains were standing around today in the crew room saying "How did the FO do it". The FOs were standing around on the other side saying "how did you know he was incapacitated":)

(this is an old joke and nothing to do with the individuals involved!)

peuce
30th Oct 2009, 20:22
Okay, I'm gunna be the idiot and ask the obvious question ...

Why didn't the F/O hop into the LHS after the Captain de-planed into the ambulance?

Is it that sacred ?

Yousef Breckenheimer
30th Oct 2009, 20:30
Because if the FO cocked it up and damaged something one would imagine some sort of crucification ritual would be held by Management. :ugh:

zube
30th Oct 2009, 21:44
Here's a possibility, after landing.

Park Brake apply.
Help Captain from left seat if not already done so in flight.
F/O climb into left seat.
Adjust rudder pedals and seat position to F/O's liking.
TAXY THE FRIGGIN AIRCRAFT.

Jeez couldn't he find an applicable page in the QRH for the situation.

Peuce.

No it aint sacred mate. After declaring a Pan he was within his rights to make that decision.

Fatguyinalittlecoat
30th Oct 2009, 22:04
Don't forget. While the guy who has never taxied a Jet with a tiller before is wiggling all over the taxiway, lets make sure he turns off his lights as to not upset the real pilots.:hmm:

Or maybe he could get a tug to tow him back.:D
I'm a little concerned that some people think this was the silly thing to do.
I think I'll just stay home from now on with you lot out there.

This place is an embarrassment.

blueloo
30th Oct 2009, 22:12
I mean why didnt the FO just plug in his emergency portable tiller he carries in his nav bag? :}

SOPs say you can't do it, so he didnt. I have sat there in a sim where the FO was drilled by the senior check for attempting it.

And in reality it is just as easy to be towed off, although a little bit slower.