PDA

View Full Version : Iran pilot asks passengers to pray

coldair
29th Oct 2009, 16:18
Here's a good one :ugh:

From;
Worried Iran pilot asks passengers to pray | Breaking News | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26280027-1702,00.html?from=public_rss)

A WORRIED Iranian airline pilot asked passengers to start praying after his plane was hit by a technical glitch today, highlighting once again the notorious record of Tehran's aircraft.
The Aseman Airlines Boeing plane had taken off from Tehran airport after a six-hour delay, but had to return following a technical fault, the ISNA news agency quoted a passenger as recounting.

"The plane took off at 0015 in the morning and had to land back in Tehran after 45 minutes," the passenger said.

"The pilot told the passengers 'the plane is facing a technical problem and has to return. So please pray'."

Iran has been under years of international sanctions hampering its ability to buy modern planes from major manufacturers, such as Boeing and Airbus, or spare parts, and has suffered a number of air disasters over the past decade.

Its civil and military fleet is made up of ancient aircraft in very poor condition due to their age, and lack of maintenance.

In July it suffered one of its worst air disasters when a Caspian Airlines plane, a Russian Tupolev 154, crashed near Qazvin, northwest of Tehran, killing all 168 people on board.

Payscale
29th Oct 2009, 16:21
For a person of the Islamic faith, that would probably be very normal. I just because we read it with western perception. Not news worthy. Hallas :8

Dysag
29th Oct 2009, 16:42
To non-Americans, "In God We Trust" sounds equally strange.

jethro15
29th Oct 2009, 16:46
Isn't this an old story?

protectthehornet
29th Oct 2009, 19:54
I think prayer is a good thing. While I haven't asked my passengers to pray, I imagine that at special times they do.

God has been around along time. Powered flight has been around 106 years. God has seniority.

Even Bishop Wright said: If God had intended man to fly, he would have given him wings. And his sons did.

We trespass on God's wings and winds. Its nice to say thanks once in awhile.

Paradise Lost
29th Oct 2009, 20:39
God helps those who help themselves!

Tri-To-Start
29th Oct 2009, 20:45
AS always used to provide written prayers with the snack trays.

421dog
29th Oct 2009, 20:46
I wonder if there's a checkbox on the farsi version of the icao flight plan after requested routing that says:
"Inshallah"

turbocharged
29th Oct 2009, 20:47
Gulf Air 'Captain Zanzibar'?

Mister Geezer
29th Oct 2009, 21:06
I used to work with Arabs and on the odd occasion, I have had to delay a flight by 10 mins or so to allow crew to disembark and pray on the apron whilst the pax are all on board. So if the 'turd hits the fan' then such a response is to be expected and would be regarded as normal.

421dog
29th Oct 2009, 21:11
Having spent a significant portion of my life with folks from Iran, I wouldn't go around calling them "Arabs"...

InSoMnIaC
29th Oct 2009, 21:11
421dog: your attempt at humor is dissapointing.

whats funny/unusual about the use of the word inshalla?

it simply means "god willing". Muslim or not I think everyone should use the term "god willing". It helps us to remember that there is someone out there more powerful than we are.

Sven Sixtoo
29th Oct 2009, 21:13
Wasn't it in "Round the Bend" that Mr Norway, master of the aviation story, introduced a chief engineer who led his staff to pray for guidance every time they lifted a spanner - and had the best maintained fleet ever as a result?

Sven

411A
29th Oct 2009, 21:21

Not humour...Iranians are NOT Arabs.
Fact.
Of course you might not know this...so you are forgiven...this time.:}
Numpty, nevertheless.:rolleyes:

Mister Geezer
29th Oct 2009, 21:35
Having spent a significant portion of my life with folks from Iran, I wouldn't go around calling them "Arabs"...

Of course since they consider themselves to be 'Persians'.

CerberusRisk
29th Oct 2009, 21:47
In God We Trust, but everything else we check.........;)

grundyhead
29th Oct 2009, 21:49
All together now PPRuNers....

One of our planes was missing
Two hours overdue
One of our planes was missing
With all its gallant crew
The radio sets were humming
We waited for a word
Then a noise broke
Through the humming and this is what we heard

Comin' in on a wing and a prayer
Though there's one motor gone
We can still carry on

What a show, what a fight, boys
We really hit our target for tonight
How we sing as we limp through the air
Look below, there's our field over there
With just one motor gone
We can still carry on

cessnapuppy
29th Oct 2009, 21:50
t simply means "god willing". Muslim or not I think everyone should use the term "god willing". It helps us to remember that there is someone out there more powerful than we are

Don't you mean 'Oprah'??

JetBlast, here we come! :D

Dr Eckener
29th Oct 2009, 22:09
It helps us to remember that there is someone out there more powerful than we are.
God help us! (irony intended)
God has been around along time. Powered flight has been around 106 years. God has seniority.
Jesus wept!

I thought politics and religion were not welcome in a flight deck.

ChristiaanJ
29th Oct 2009, 22:10
Somehow, this post seems appropriate....
From JetBlast.... (http://www.pprune.org/5271782-post335.html)

Entirely on the other hand, yes, I've read "Round The Bend" by Nevil Shute, more than once.
And I wish it was a true story.
Our world would be a different place.

CJ

Mister Geezer
29th Oct 2009, 22:26
I thought politics and religion were not welcome in a flight deck.

You obviously have not heard Arab crews passing 'inshallah' after their estimates? :}

TURIN
29th Oct 2009, 22:32
Muslim or not I think everyone should use the term "god willing". It helps us to remember that there is someone out there more powerful than we are.
Even the athiests among us?:\

Mr Pilot 2007
29th Oct 2009, 22:36
I think prayer is a good thing. While I haven't asked my passengers to pray, I imagine that at special times they do.

Earth has been around about 4.5 billion years (say 4500 million years).
The universe Forever, or at least many trillions of years (too many zeros to type here).
Man about 100,000 years
Modern Man 15000 years
Powered flight 106 years

Must have being a bit dull the first few trillion years before modern mankind appeared, fighting, killing, tortureing other modern man in the name of religion.

Personally, if a crew wants to save an aircraft in trouble, best try to save it yourselves.

ironspud
29th Oct 2009, 23:15
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

421dog
29th Oct 2009, 23:29

Hey, given the amount of crap that I sometimes get from atc when I request a routing, an "Inshallah" box might be just what we need over here as well...

Basil
30th Oct 2009, 00:17
My grandmother, my mother and my wife say "God willing" for future events so when I went to GF 'Inshallah' didn't come as a complete surprise although, in my experience, in the UK, chaps at work tended not to use the term.

The bit in a GF position report (by one of our more devout Muslims) which confused me was:
"GF009, Check position A, inshallah (إن شاء الله) (hope that's correct), FL350, Estimate Position B, inshallah, 1124"

Like so many things which I now regret, I never bothered to ask, so, could a Muslim pilot advise me if the first 'inshallah' can also mean 'by the grace of God' or was the guy just being a bit too pious? Should the first position have been 'humdilallah'? (من نعمة الله ) (Haven't done this for decades)

Torquatus
30th Oct 2009, 01:06
The universe Forever, or at least many trillions of years (too many zeros to type here).

Or, at best astronomical estimate, 13.73 billion years :ok:

(hat, coat, door)

ATCO1962
30th Oct 2009, 03:46
Or, at best astronomical estimate, 13.73 billion years

Assuming that the speed of light that we currently observe has been constant over the eons.

muduckace
30th Oct 2009, 04:18
My experience in Islamic nations, "Inshallah" is a common response to, whne will we get our fuel, flight release, weather report. Not in any way to be disrespectfull but god's willing is often placed over man's ability to function. I respect this spiritually as it is extremely powerfull to provide an answer to fearfull situations, I am surprised of this cabin statement as it is a question of Allah's will to the passengers. I respect it as it is an agknowledgement of a desire for man's ability to live or influence their lives over "Inshallah".

Torquatus
30th Oct 2009, 05:01
Or, at best astronomical estimate, 13.73 billion years (http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_age.html) :ok:
Assuming that the speed of light that we currently observe has been constant over the eons.

And at least one other vital assumption (http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_cosmo_struct.html), as well :ok:

On topic - In my opinion this is simply a cultural misunderstanding, or is that too charitable a way to describe a media attempt to sensationalise something on a slow news day :suspect:

After all, I still say "God bless you" when someone sneezes!

Payscale
30th Oct 2009, 06:32
Oh boy...this has turned into a religious pilot thread.... I am changing frequency.

snaproll3480
30th Oct 2009, 07:12
Holy crap, this is going to be good!

etrang
30th Oct 2009, 07:17
Well the plane landed safely so the prayers obviously worked.

Final 3 Greens
30th Oct 2009, 07:17
Holy crap, this is going to be good!

Insh'allah

TowerDog
30th Oct 2009, 07:24

People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God, according to a new study:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-God.html

Seems about right, besides all the religious stuff is nothing but trouble.:sad: