PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Cockpit napping

4Greens
27th Oct 2009, 21:32
Would be interested to hear any views on controlled cockpit napping. Do any aviation jurisdictions allow it? What is the ICAO, IATA view and so on.

cessnapuppy
27th Oct 2009, 22:45
personally, I think "controlled cockpit napping" is a contradiction in terms.

If the length and duration of the flight is such that people are going to require sleep, then "cowboy up" and provision an additional crew member and a sleep station -AWAY FROM THE COCKPIT-

parabellum
28th Oct 2009, 00:32
Some companies do allow a quick 'nap', which is the sensible way to go. Even when there is a double crew with crew bunks you are still going to find yourself sat in the seat when your body says you should be in bed.

I would ask my colleague how he was feeling, was he alert etc. and if all was well then a fifteen minute 'nap' was all that was required.

ahramin
28th Oct 2009, 02:51
Controlled Rest on the Flight Deck is what we call it in Canada.

Did one today, hardest duty day I have had in several months and it helped.

The one thing I hate is when I wake up and find the other guy asleep.

cessnapuppy
28th Oct 2009, 03:26
The one thing I hate is when I wake up and find the other guy asleep.

LMFAO!

(one note, if that happens again, DO NOT SAY you were discussing roster agreements or using your laptops.... just saying....)

seriously though, Sleep is contagious.. as social animals, we are wired that way to act communally . nothing can make you yawn as effectively as another yawn. Getting up and going to a bunk, fine - sleeping in the cockpit? BAD IDEA

linedriva
28th Oct 2009, 04:14
This is the second company I've worked for that has a controlled rest policy and I think it is an absolute necessity. Both companies had a set of strict guidelines as to how it was conducted. I find it always helps get through the red eye sectors and remain alert for the approach and landing.

Cpt_Schmerzfrei
28th Oct 2009, 04:20
@4 greens: I asked almost the same question a couple of weeks ago and got some very good answers here (http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa-emergency-response-planning/388987-cockpit-naps-rules-regulations.html) :ok:

4Greens
28th Oct 2009, 07:11
Checked it out ok. Maybe it is time to start a push for it to become an accepted routine.

Big Footer
28th Oct 2009, 09:57
Dead Tired | Home (http://91.121.90.108/dead-tired/)

framer
31st Oct 2009, 05:58
It's a great idea. After three days of 0330 alarms with 10hr duties followed by one day off and then a 1600hrs sign on for an 11hr duty .....I find it very useful. Ten to fifteen minutes is all I need to give me a good pick me up.
Everybody is different when it comes to resting. Myself, I can't adjust that quickly and end up very tired when rostered these patterns. I put in the appropriate "fatigue" reports etc . The interesting thing is that most of the guys I fly with don't find this too hard to deal with. They find it hard going the other way, from lates to earlies. For me that is no problem.
1/ Ask the other pilot if they are ok with it and tell them what waypoint you would like to be woken up at.
2/ Set an alarm
3/ Call purser and ask him/her to call you at a certain time.
Much of the time I don't even sleep but being able to close my eyes and stop monitoring gives me the rest I need.
Regards,
Framer

doubleu-anker
31st Oct 2009, 07:13
I agree to cockpit naps.

It is better to have a nod off, with the other cockpit member being aware of what's going on, than battling for 8 hours or so trying to stay awake! Fatiguing in itself. What?.

Unfortunately, as I tend to dribble somewhat, it does give the game away, if I do nod off.