PDA

View Full Version : Bugging up Vref?

notanastronaut
24th Oct 2009, 20:14
Dear Forum:

Would appreciate inputs and opinions on pros and cons of increasing Vref on approach when flying with steady headwind (no cross wind and no gusts).

Recently, the First Officer I was flying with, made the case for the need of increasing the Vref speed by 15 Kts as we were flying an approach to RNW 34 with a reported wind of 340/15. His argument was that by doing so we would compensate for the loss of ground speed, and basically there was no downside as the runway was long and surface conditions were dry.

I do not agree with this operating philosophy, but I am no "astronaut" so I welcome everyone's ideas.

Thanks for participating.

ANA

Nimer767
24th Oct 2009, 22:37
Well

I would say that he is wrong !! During the approach he should not look at the ground speed ,
normally ITS Vref +5 IAS regardless of the wind speed !

cheers

notanastronaut
24th Oct 2009, 22:39
Thanks!
Alex

FLCH
24th Oct 2009, 23:20
Plus 5 unless there is a gusty crosswind, then it's half the steady and all the gust, anything else he's making stuff up.

411A
25th Oct 2009, 01:29
Dear Forum:

Dear astronaut....double posting the same question is poor form.:rolleyes:

SloppyJoe
25th Oct 2009, 18:55
So its +5 in calm conditions and half the wind speed when windy, so in 20kts you plus 10, in gusty conditions say 15 gusting 30 you would plus 30???? What a load of c**p. Maybe specify type.

Nimer767
25th Oct 2009, 22:26
Well i think half the wind is ok .. but about me i use less than half the wind speed a lil bit

for example if the wind reported on runway 24 300/15 G 20 i might increase 6 or 7 Maximum KTS ,

Intruder
26th Oct 2009, 00:02
Would appreciate inputs and opinions on pros and cons of increasing Vref on approach when flying with steady headwind (no cross wind and no gusts).

Recently, the First Officer I was flying with, made the case for the need of increasing the Vref speed by 15 Kts as we were flying an approach to RNW 34 with a reported wind of 340/15. His argument was that by doing so we would compensate for the loss of ground speed, and basically there was no downside as the runway was long and surface conditions were dry.

I do not agree with this operating philosophy, but I am no "astronaut" so I welcome everyone's ideas.
What does your FHB/FCOM/POH say? Follow it!

FWIW, I believe Vref does NOT change -- your "bug speed" (the actual approach speed) is what changes.

Where the controlling documents give you a choice, blindly increasing the Vref additive will cause you to use more runway and more brakes and more fuel, and to make more noise. All that will NOT in any increase the "safety" of the operation, because safety factors have already been considered when Vref is calculated and additives applied as written.