PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arran Incident

zfw
21st Oct 2009, 11:26
Aer Arran atr72 has just mangaed to have an arguement with an FEP at Manchester, no one injured.

south coast
21st Oct 2009, 11:46
What is an FEP?

Xeque
21st Oct 2009, 11:48
Take your pick ...
FEP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEP)
:)
Might be Frisbee Emulating Projectile I suppose?

Spitoon
21st Oct 2009, 11:59
Or maybe Fixed Electrical Power?

flyingcamel
21st Oct 2009, 13:54
This happened just after we got on stand further into the cul-de-sac. Lots of flashing lights. Apparently the aircraft was seen stuttering forwards (according to fellow FD watching from the gallery) and No.2 Prop and engine had the argument with what looked like the parking mirror.

Feel very sorry for the FD expecially. Must have been quite scary not being able to stop properly! Hope they are well.

Captain Planet
21st Oct 2009, 14:25
Lads come on, get the name right.

AER ARANN.

CP.

remoak
22nd Oct 2009, 09:54
If you look at the pictures on the other thread, it is pretty obvious that they had a massive loss of hydraulic fluid in the last few metres of their parking manouver. Hardly a crew co-ordination issue, and hardly a failure to check the brakes either. More a case of an unexpected failure at the worst possible time and with virtually no time to do anything about it. So perhaps a little less of the crew bagging might be in order...??? :rolleyes:

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/393096-aer-arran-incident-manchester.html

lostinBRU
22nd Oct 2009, 17:14
it is pretty obvious that they had a massive loss of hydraulic fluid in the last few metres of their parking manouver

Oh is it????? I don't know whether they had hydraulic loss or not, but the Fire Service did hose the stand down as a precaution......

Perhaps we might save the guesswork for when you know something huh?

Yankee Whisky
22nd Oct 2009, 18:34
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aaib.gov.uk%2Fcms_resources.cfm%3Ffile% 3D%2FATR%252042-300%2C%2520G-BUEB%252008-94.pdf

Perhaps the submitter BRAL means to point at a suspected similarity between two unrelated incidents?

remoak
23rd Oct 2009, 02:44
I don't know whether they had hydraulic loss or not,

Look at the photos. The trail fluid ends (and is largest) under the wheel. Now what sort of fluid do you use in an undercarriage? Could it be... skydrol? hmmm.... I wonder... :rolleyes:

egnxer
26th Oct 2009, 00:30
Good job this happened on the ground and not in flight or are the control surface hydraulics on an ATR on a completely separate system?

Capt Pit Bull
26th Oct 2009, 08:31
or are the control surface hydraulics on an ATR on a completely separate system

The control surface hydraulics actually FELL OFF this aircraft....

.... on the drawing board.

powdermonkey
26th Oct 2009, 09:55
Flaps and spoilers are on the blue system, alond with nosewheel steering, parking/emergency brake, prop brake. Green system handles gear ops and normal braking! It was by the way a complete hydraulics failure ( as seen by the big puddle under the a/c) when on stand. Nothin the crew could do at this point.

Boeing737sr
29th Oct 2009, 10:35
There go to more guys to the Dole, as it is policy with AA to fire guys as soon as they can. LOL

doublesix
29th Oct 2009, 17:22
Boeing

And why would Aer Arann fire the crew if it was an hydraulic failure over which they had no control?

manrow
30th Oct 2009, 00:27
I still want to know what an FEP is! On the Wikipedia url above I see it could mean a 'front end processor' is that a pilot perchance?

42psi
30th Oct 2009, 06:33
MANROW the suggestion given by Spitoon earlier is correct, at least in the context of MAN.

The F.E.P. is indeed Fixed Electrical Power.

:ok:

His dudeness
30th Oct 2009, 07:54
It was by the way a complete hydraulics failure ( as seen by the big puddle under the a/c) when on stand. Nothin the crew could do at this point.

Does the ATR have no backup for that? Every Cessna I flew has a nitrogen bottle and an emer brake lever that acts as a backup for hydraulic wheel brake failure....

Genuine question - probably the time to react to the hydr failure would have been to short anyhow even if a backup is fitted.

powdermonkey
31st Oct 2009, 14:05
There is an emergency accumulator, will give you 6 applications...which I believe it did....after that if ALL the fluid is gone there is nothing left! this was not a pump failure it was loss of fluid!

His dudeness
31st Oct 2009, 18:16
Sorry stupid me. The nitrogen would not have helped.

Note to self:

think before posting.