PDA

View Full Version : Cargo hold temperature

HamishMcBush
19th Oct 2009, 21:30
The Company I work for has to ship our products by air all over the world. Most of our kit is primarily designed to work under water. Recently some issues have come up about product testing.
Can anyone tell me what the likely minimum temperature will be inside the hold of a freighter plane (e.g. B747) flying goods across the oceans, please? We've seen the external temperature displays on passenger planes stating "minus a-lot degrees", but what's it like in the cargo hold?

Edited for typos

Intruder
19th Oct 2009, 23:27
The 747-400 is controllable from about 4-20C; the main deck and each lower compartment can be individually controlled. The Classic is not as finely controllable, but 4C is a nominal minimum.

Edit: Just found the books. Actual numbers for the 744 are 4-29C on 747F main cargo deck and lower cargo compartments.

BOAC
20th Oct 2009, 08:05
If it is in a hold approved for livestock/animal carriage that should be ok?

Old Smokey
20th Oct 2009, 13:39
If it is in a hold approved for livestock/animal carriage that should be ok?

Umm yes, provided that the crew have selected the cargo hold temperature to High, otherwise it's chill-out time in that hold also.

(The above applies to B777, and may not apply to other aircraft where a 'dedicated' livestock/animal carriage hold is constantly at a normal temperature.)

Regards,

Old Smokey

CR2
24th Oct 2009, 01:22
As Intruder mentions, temp (on the 744) can be set to request, afaik its +4C to +30C. Tell your cargo agent what you require and make sure that info is stated on the AWB. When the cargo agent calls an airline for a booking, they'll ask for confirmation that the required temperature can be met. The airline will then inform the operating crew that a given temp is required. I'd say most cargo flights these days have temp sensitive cargo. Its not a big issue AS LONG AS there is a correct flow of information.