PDA

View Full Version : CAT II/III when non-EU-OPS

galleypower
19th Oct 2009, 19:32
So far I was always operating under Low Vis (Cat II/III) conditions when employed by an airline. But what happens if you are no longer operating under EU-OPS? FCL does not specify much about Low Vis. The only reference is on the checkform where it says you have to conduct Cat II/III training/checking by following operational rules.

Anybody knows?

Intruder
19th Oct 2009, 19:51
You'll have to check your airline OpSpecs. They likely have a specific list of allowed Cat II/III airports/runways.

galleypower
19th Oct 2009, 20:03
Hello, thanks but thats not what I mean. What if you are no longer employed by an airline or commercially operating company, can you still fly Cat III and if what are the recurrent training requirements?

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 21:04
What and where - and why?

galleypower
20th Oct 2009, 07:01
I know this is not a very common situation but a possible scenario.

1) Lets say you are in Europe, flying for the owner of the aircraft, based in a always foggy place. The owner wants you to fly Cat II/III. Because you are operating private, you are not governed by EU-OPS. To renew your licence you do once a year an LPC...

2) You have been flying for an airline (Cat II/III). You left. Now you are instructing full time in the SIM and take checks as Examiner. Is your Cat II/III authorisation valid for a year or does it lapse after 6 months?

happybiker
20th Oct 2009, 07:23
Cat II/Cat III operations normally require an approval by the Authority of the State of registry irrespective of whether the flight is commercial or private (General Aviation).

As well as the Crew continuation training and qualifications the Authority will need information that the aircraft has the necessary equipment and is certified for all weather operations and that any specific maintenance requirements are included in the approved maintenance programme.

When satisfied the Authority will issue an approval, usually with a fee attached.

The first port of call should be the Regulatory Authority where the aircraft is registered and ask them what their requirements are for approval. UK CAA link below.

All Weather Operations | Flight Operations | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1428&pagetype=90&pageid=8196)