PDA

View Full Version : Vector SID

seilfly
18th Oct 2009, 21:26
I have yet to fly out of an airport with Vector SID. I have only flown Pilotnav SIDs so far. (1) How will the radiocomm be for a Vector SID?

(2) I see the SID-chart contains a lot of VOR/DME etc stations. Will the controller assign routes via those stations? -or will he/her issue headings while the stations on the chart is issued for the pilot's situational awareness?

Microburst2002
18th Oct 2009, 21:43
Is the same a vector SID than a radar departure?

I only know a couple of airports with published radar departure.
I wish all airports had them! We would save time. I hate preparing for a complex SID, briefing it with the other CM, setting the navaids... And just after take off... "Fly direct to ZZZ" or "maintain runway heading" 90% of the times.:*
With radar departures you just climb on runway heading and wait further instructions. So easy! I mean, It is not that I am too lazy to fly a complex SID. I love flying them, if they don't interrupt me.

In a radar departure is good to have an idea of the navaids, waypoints and airways in the area, in case the ATC request to intercept a radial or join an airway, for example.

galaxy flyer
18th Oct 2009, 22:14
The clearance will probably be issued with a heading to fly on departure, including, "maintain runway heading", and airborne, contact departure. The departure controller will either clear you on course to one of those navaids OR will use vectors for traffic, then clear you direct to one of those navaids. Please read the whole chart carefully, the clearance may NOT include things like an assigned altitude or departure frequency, the controller expects you to pick those up off the SID chart, asking will sometimes net a nasty answer.

BTW, are you in fixed wing or helos? My nephew will be in a H-60 squadron next year.

GF

seilfly
19th Oct 2009, 03:25
Fixedwing, but start in Nov.