PDA

View Full Version : FIR /overfight

Kakha
14th Oct 2009, 13:00
Hi All,
Can somebody explain me, do I need O/F permit of the country if I'm overfing the territory of the country but within other countries FIR? for example: When flying from north Africa to DRRN (Niamey) you overfligh a small part of Mali but still in Niamey FIR, do I still need Mali o/f permit (When Niger permit is on file)

thanks

merlinxx
14th Oct 2009, 13:31
If you overfly a territory (including territorial waters) you need an overflight permit. A Flight Information Region FIR is just that, it is an ATC designated control area.

VP8
19th Oct 2009, 10:52
Merlinxx says

"If you overfly a territory (including territorial waters) you need an overflight permit. A Flight Information Region FIR is just that, it is an ATC designated control area."

Not technically correct some overwater overflights that do not encroach the landmass are Flight Plan Notification only :ok:

Veeps

Kakha
19th Oct 2009, 13:45
Thanks My Friend

sergiose75
19th Oct 2009, 13:54
If you need assistance on overfly drop an email

Papa Sierra
2nd Nov 2009, 23:13
Veeps,

Didn't we have problems overflying Djbouti in the Addis FIR it sometimes being left off the list of "dips"?

Buzzz
3rd Nov 2009, 11:25
I think Merlin is technically correct Veeps as territorial waters only extends 12 nautical miles out from the coast. So you if you are over territorial waters you are most certainly encroaching the landmass. The overwater overflights that only require flight plan notification i would assume would relate to a country's exclusive economic zone which extends 200 nautical miles, plus any international airspace that they are responsible for, more or less an extension of maritime law.

If there are any countries that dont follow this then it would be useful to know however.

Cheers,

Buzzz

Kakha
5th Nov 2009, 13:28
thanks guys for the information.
very often we are oveflying CHAD and we are not requesting O/F permt of Chad. half of Chad is under FIR of Sudan and we are using Sudan O/F permit only and its works.

VIKING9
5th Nov 2009, 14:23
It might not work one day ! Go easy...

Kakha
5th Nov 2009, 14:33
thanks Viking9

yes I know but some times we have really no time to deal with CAA in some African Country’s, no fax no e-mails .... etc

VIKING9
5th Nov 2009, 17:51
So you blast off with no permit........Mmmmmm good luck :ok:

merlinxx
6th Nov 2009, 03:23
Expect a visit from the FAF one stary night:ugh: When is a Mirage 2000 not a Mirage?:ugh:

VP8
6th Nov 2009, 06:41
Veeps,

Didn't we have problems overflying Djbouti in the Addis FIR it sometimes being left off the list of "dips"?

Yep it never came up on the Sita overflight list:confused: it was best to look for DJI on the routing to see:}

diesel862
9th Dec 2009, 12:08
Trying to get a Niger overflight - does anyone have a good telephone contact to chase this permit up?

Cheers

Vince

Kakha
9th Dec 2009, 12:31
its difficult to get directly O/F permit of Niger. i tried many times and its took too much times. i am using local handling and they are not too expensive.
i can give you the nmbr if you want