PDA

View Full Version : S7 Airlines pilot charged with attempted FUI

RevMan2
12th Oct 2009, 06:31
S7 pilot detained and charged in EDDF with endangering air traffic.

Security people noticed alcohol on breath, confirmed at 0.05% which is the legal limit for FL0

More here (http://www.eturbonews.com/12215/drunk-russian-pilot-denied-permission-take)

And who says that security people have no utility....?

villian
12th Oct 2009, 09:29
does someone know was that a layover or turnaround ?

and how had they figured em out ?

regards and take care then with that huge annual night nours !!!

RevMan2
12th Oct 2009, 15:59
How had they figured them out?

Because he stank of booze, probably.

Flintstone
12th Oct 2009, 18:17
....how had they figured em out ?

Airport staff smelt alcohol on the breath of the 49-year-old pilot....

I've had this crazy idea, really off the wall. How about....right.....how about.....c'mon, hear me out. How about before posting in a thread we all read through it first?

I know, I know. It'll never catch on :rolleyes:

rmac
12th Oct 2009, 18:38
Security people trying to prove how clever they are more like :ugh:

ukdean
12th Oct 2009, 19:22
Well they where a bit clever than this crew member.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A-3TWENTY
14th Oct 2009, 06:02
Why all this carnival if the pilot was within legal minima???

Ridiculous

PA38
14th Oct 2009, 07:08
Why is it when a memeber of crew is detected as having consumed alcohol, you must blame the security staff...
They are there to protect the passengers and aircraft, so isn't that what they are doing???
No I am not a security guard but if they have the confidence to speak up when they detect a threat, no matter where from they get my vote:ok:

Cave Troll
14th Oct 2009, 08:38
Well in my opinion they are being a bit hard on the guy. PA38 it all very well to stick up for the security but have you considered {or did the security consider} that this may well be this guys career at stake. All because he was on the limit and as low as that limit is I find it hard to believe he would have been putting anyone's life at risk with that amount of alcohol in his blood. Sure the security has a job to do and I respect that but I just find it a bit petty to possibly ruining a career {and possibly his life} over this. I just think like ramc said the security is trying to prove a point. Sure russian crew generally do not have the greatest reputation with regard "bottle to throttle" limits, especially here in Africa, but still I find it all a bit ridiculous. If the guy had been obviously inebriated then sure through the book at him by all means.

ct

Flying Torquewrench
14th Oct 2009, 09:06
Cave Troll, I agree with you that they are a bit harsh on the guy for being on the limit.

There are several points of view with regards to security calling police when they smell alcohol on a pilot.

For one, if they do smell alcohol, like in this case, they can't tell if it is just on the limit or over. If you could deduct from the breath of a person if they are over the limit or not then the police could do away the breathalizers. Unfortunately nobody can.

Secondly, nobody wins in this case. Now security raised the alarm and they get flamed for it. If they didn't and there would be an incident with a subsequent investigation then people would call them stupid for not raising the alarm if security had smelled alcohol but kept quiet.

Thirdly, as professional pilots we all know that our career is very vulnerable and that some people will sh*t on you given the chance. Enough of these stories have been doing the rounds in the last few years so why do some still drink before flying? Why put yourself and your career at risk?

FT

Cave Troll
14th Oct 2009, 09:58
Ft you are right. The security can be in a bit of a catch 22. They have a job to do but as I said is it worth this guy possibly losing his job over this with who knows what consequences. Sure you would expect him to be a professional and know when to stop but the fact is if he hypothetically had only few drinks and stopped drinking prior to the 12 hour "Bottle to Throttle" rule he may well still have had alcohol in his blood stream. fact is alcohol can stay in your blood up to 24 hours after the fact, possibly longer depending how good the party was. It does not mean he was intoxicated. I think he got a bit of a raw deal.

SMT Member
14th Oct 2009, 13:33
May I humbly suggest it wasn't the security staff who put this guys career and/or life on the line, but rather the gentleman himself for being unable to stay off the juice.

If it's that much of a problem going without a drink, perhaps there's deeper problems at play?

RevMan2
14th Oct 2009, 13:35
Idiots.

0.05% is the legal limit for FL0 = shorthand for driving a car.

On a public highway.

Not flying an aircraft.