PDA

View Full Version : Twin definition

Tipi
9th Oct 2009, 08:31
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the details of a twin (except for the obvious TWO engines). Ie how far apart they have to be etc. Any of the mil fast jets that can be classed as a twin (to get twin time credited).

Cheers

MyNameIsIs
9th Oct 2009, 08:34
Not sure about you, but my logbook says "Multi Engine"... methinks that in itself is pretty self-explanatory.

Now, centreline thrust, thats a different story and I won't go there!

flyboyike
9th Oct 2009, 16:21
In the US there is no longer a centerline thrust limitation.

captjns
9th Oct 2009, 17:55
In the US there is no longer a centerline thrust limitation.

Negative. Still grandfathered for 727 and C337 drivers, provided additional type ratings or endorsements have been sought after the multi engine rating with centerline thrust limitation has been issued

MarkerInbound
10th Oct 2009, 02:47
There is still guidance from the FAA in the FSIMS for issuing multi-engine ratings with the limitation "Limited to center line thrust." If you take the checkride in a Cessna 336 or 337, you get the restriction. In addition, if you convert military competency into a FAA certificate, there is a list of a dozen aircraft with no published Vmc and therefore the FAA will issue the certificate with the center line thrust limitation.

I've never heard of a 727 rating with the center line thrust limitation. And I don't understand what you mean by saying it's "grandfathered" for pilots who took their ride in a 337. If you take the ride in 336 or 337 and get the limitation and then take another ME checkride in a "normal" twin, the restriction goes away. The FAA lists the tasks you have to do to remove the restriction, you don't have to do a full checkride.