View Full Version : Minimax- Group A or Microlight

shaun.s
6th Oct 2009, 18:51
Hello,
I'm curious about the Minimax- they look like great fun, and crucially, appear to be very cheap aircraft indeed. I'm a little confused as to their status, i.e. can they be registered as Group A? I can't see them on the LAA's list of approved types, but I'm sure I've seen reference on here to them as an 'hour building' aircraft. A brief look on GINFO shows lots and lots of microlight-registered Minimaxes (Minimaxi?).
Any thoughts? Anybody want to sell me a Group A minimax for £1500? :)

DBo
6th Oct 2009, 20:46
Frome the LAA engineering website it appears that the Minimax is only available as a microlight. check out the TAD here (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/aircraftList.html?pageNum_aircraft_RS=7&totalRows_aircraft_RS=79)

Dave

Unusual Attitude
7th Oct 2009, 08:54
Which begs the question of how this one can still be a group A???

TEAM MINIMAX 91A ROTAX 503 (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=13467&imid=0)

I was quite interested in one to keep at home as I have circa 300m at the side of the house and reckon thats ample for a Minimax. Never could get to the bottom of whether there are actually any Group A ones out there or not ?

Andy H
7th Oct 2009, 10:01
My understanding is that MiniMAX's used to be available as microlight and Group A but that when the weight limits for microlights were raised a few years back, all new examples had to be reg. as microlights. There has been much discussion about grandfather rights for older Group A reg aircraft, and it would be best to check with LAA/CAA if the Group A status can be transferred to a new owner.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2009, 10:09
Andy H is I think correct.

There used to be microlight models and group A models. When the "new" 450kg microlight definition came in most, probably all, Minimaxes became microlights. This seriously disadvantaged some group A Minimax owners who had been maintaining their licences quite legitimately on these aircraft.

So, PFA and BMAA did a deal with the CAA on behalf of their members that group A Minimax owners could continue to keep their licences current on those aircraft for as long as they owned them. However, I don't think it was ever going to be possible for any new pilot/owner to take on this privilege as they started flying the aeroplanes after the rule change.

Still a lovely little aeroplane; I'd certainly seriously consider a share in one, if there was a local opportunity (and I could persuade Mrs.G that I really did need a fourth aircraft share to add to the three I've got already!).

G

Rocket2
7th Oct 2009, 15:16
They're great fun to fly, if a little slow & pretty easy to land as taildraggers go :ok:

shaun.s
7th Oct 2009, 17:08
That explains the confusion, thanks for clearing it up.
Unfortunately not the answer I wanted, since there's a very cheap one on afors at the minute, which appeared an incredibly fun, incredibly cheap way to build hours. Shame!
I'd still love a shot in one though..