PDA

View Full Version : Decisions - Mechancial or Avionics

whissper
5th Oct 2009, 08:02
Hello All

I'm due to very shortly apply for a Qantas apprenticeship and I'm having a bit of hard time trying to decide between doing avionics or mechancial.

I'm on a mechanical course at the moment (which is good) but I have also studied the EASA avionics module requirements (4,5,13). I will sit the 4,5,13 exams in December and expect to pass quite well (I hold an amateur radio license so have a bit of background in electronics)

Suggestions.

Whissper

HAWK21M
5th Oct 2009, 08:20
Depends on what you prefer.
out here there is a better demand for avionics.
However I prefer Mechanical stream.
regds
MEL.

munster
5th Oct 2009, 11:39
do you like being covered in dirt, oil, skydrol, s**t etc, freezing your nuts off in a gale, and generally working hard?

or

do you like drinking tea and playing on the x-box in your "workshop"?

it's not called lazyonics for nothing!

zigmund
5th Oct 2009, 22:58
had to make that decision myself and I picked avionics, I love it tbh. I cant really compare it to the mechanical side though but all I know is that what the above poster said is very true, i have avoided doing alot of messy , frustrating , dirty jobs tbh, most notably the dinitrolling jobs.

powerstall
5th Oct 2009, 23:52
In Avionics, you get to work in an airconditioned room and play with yourself.

In Mechs, you get to work outside, in the harsh rain, in the timid snow, in the blistering sun.

Your choice. :E

spannerbearer
6th Oct 2009, 06:40
Has to be Avionics. Pay is normally better as well :ok:

lordofthewings
6th Oct 2009, 07:00
You wont choose the stream, it will choose you..You will see in time when you look at coneheads, they are all very strange people..:) Or maybe you will become, or should i say are already one of them...

TURIN
6th Oct 2009, 08:25
Not much call for avionics on a line station these days. The B1 has so many 'privilages' with regard to certifying what were tradionally 'avionics' or 'radio' that the B2 is now focused on base maintenance or on the line at a main base.

If you fancy the opportunity to work far and wide then B1 is, in my experience, the way to go.
However, there will always be the need for good B2s in the hangars so the choice is yours.

Good luck. :ok:

Hand Shandy
6th Oct 2009, 19:39
Like Turin says the ,the B2 has been virtually phased out on the line these days and theres a lot of crossover from the mechanical side into what was once exclusively avionics . And if you are an avio you`ll spend most of your time changing wheels and filling engine cowls with oil forgetting all you`ve learnt about jk flip flops . So if you can`t beat 'em join 'em.

WOTME?
6th Oct 2009, 22:10
Both is the way to go.Do the one you're comfortable with first,then go for the other one.
B1B2 is the future.

SBR_RV
6th Oct 2009, 22:32
I hold an amateur radio license so have a bit of background in electronics

Dont expect this to get you far. Theres ALOT more to avionics.

muduckace
8th Oct 2009, 09:04
Spent 2-3 years changing parts and understanding how a MRO operates.

Another 2 years doing line work, (exposure to avionics) but more importantly over all deep systems knowledge of a specific aircraft (blue water to A/P and NAV).

3-4 years as a (maintenance rep) or flight mechanic. No supervision or time clock, living 'la vida loca" Some days spent 40 hrs in rain and sleet or snow working by myself, others enjoyed on the beaches of the red sea, pacific islands etc etc...

2 more years in avionics and production supervision in an MRO. (I learned to hate myself)

2 more years doing avionics work on contract because if I was going to work in an MRO I did not want to come home covered in grease.

Back to the line for a company that offered to pay me just short of what I was worth and transfered into their A/V shop ASAP.

15 years now and I believe the FAA AMT experience has offered me the well rounded experience that makes me a better avionics tech. Systems knowledge of MDC/Boeing/Buss and some cooperate A/C has made me a better avionics tech.

It is in my experience is a disadvantage for any AMT/Engineer to limit their exposure to the aircraft they work on to a specific path.

I have respect for the structures guys out there and have jumped at the opportunity to do some simple repairs myself.

No disrespect at all to those that have found a passion for Avionics/Parts changers/Systems or Structures AMT/Engineers. I have just enjoyed the opportunities I have taken advantage of.

Speak up if the EU/JAR or other international regs give you a different opinion to my AMT experience?

TURIN
8th Oct 2009, 09:53
Looks like you made some very good decisions there Muduckace.

I've not heard of AMT before. Kept my head down. :O

Website looks very professional, is AMT a training company or an allround MRO? I couldn't work it out. (Differences in US/EU terminology I suppose).

Is it expensive to take their courses or is sponsorship required? :ok:

muduckace
9th Oct 2009, 15:54
When I started out we were called A&P's we are now refered to as Aircraft Maintenance Technicians (yankee jergen). I believe US airlines have pressured the FAA to not refer to us as AME's as an Engineer is someone who is capable of thinking for himself in general consensus.

Airlines (believe Eastern being the front runner) had lobbied to have us classified as unskilled labour back in the early 80's for class and craft purposes of unionization then more constraint under the National Railway Labour ACT. that makes it harder for us to unionize and strike etc.etc.

Cheers,

Muduckace

P.S.

When I got my A&P back in the early/mid 90's it cost me 10k usd, I also recieved an AS out of it. There are 2 county (tech) schools one in New York and one in Miami that I know of that cost in the late 90's 3k usd or less. At the same time I could have gone to Embry Riddle paid 40k and recieved a B.S.. So the cost of an A&P liscence varied greatly. Not sure what the cost is today.