View Full Version : AFIS with TIZ in Europe

claus nybroe
3rd Oct 2009, 15:24
Greetings from Denmark. I just bought Navbox, a Dutch flight planning software. On the Denmark section of the map the zones (TIZ) around three AFIS airports are missing. Wikipedia says that only "some" countries have TIZ around their AFIS airports. I for now know about Denmark and Norway.

In these AFIS/TIZ we have to report to Tower when corossing or landing, if no other arrangements exist. When evaluating Navbox I therefore would appeciate information on wether there are other European Airports with TIZ around their AFIS or if it is only a Scandinavian issue.

Thanks a lot !!
Claus Nybroe

chevvron
4th Oct 2009, 11:54
Most airfields in the UK both civil and military have an Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) where it is mandatory for pilots to communicate with the aeronautical radio station for transit during its hours of operation. The ATZ is always up to 2000ft above aerodrome elevation and can be either 2nm radius or 2.5nm radius if the main runway is more than 1800m long. The ATZ exists in addition to any control zone of whatever airspace classification ie even in class G airspace.
Aeronautical radio stations can be ATC, AFIS or Air/Ground radio.

claus nybroe
5th Oct 2009, 07:13
Thank you very much. As I understand the answer, there is no specific Traffic Information Zone (TIZ) around UK AFIS airports, or am I wrong?

best
Claus

chevvron
5th Oct 2009, 22:57
Only the ATZ if one is notified.

bookworm
6th Oct 2009, 07:46
There are three levels of ATS provided at UK airports.

* ATC ("Tower") which all have ATZs
* FIS ("Info") which all have ATZs
* Air/Ground ("Radio"), only some of which have ATZs

Rule 45 requires the following:
(3) If the aerodrome has an air traffic control unit the commander shall obtain the permission of the air traffic control unit to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the zone.
(4) If the aerodrome has a flight information service unit the commander shall obtain information from the flight information service unit to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the zone.
(5) If there is no flight information service unit at the aerodrome the commander shall obtain information from the air/ground communication service to enable the flight to be conducted safely within the zone.

chevvron
7th Oct 2009, 06:49
What size is the TIZ in Scandanavian countries?

Intercepted
7th Oct 2009, 13:58
All controlled aerodromes in Sweden have established CTRs and TMAs classified as C airspace. Many uncontrolled aerodromes have established TIZ (Traffic Information Zones) and TIA (Traffic Information Areas) classified as G airspace.

The shape and form of TIZ and TIA are different for different airfields, just like CTR and TMA, and you will recieve "suggestions" from the AFIS, but no clearence.

Within TIZ and TIA, two way communication is required with ATS.

We have ATZs as well, but its far between them.

claus nybroe
9th Oct 2009, 06:32
TiZ size of 3 Danish AFIS Airports:

4 x 9 NM
6 x 11 NM
6 x 13 NM