PDA

View Full Version : RYR assessment Oct 7th

pilotho
2nd Oct 2009, 22:51
Anyone going on that date?

pilotho
3rd Oct 2009, 12:37
I applied about a month ago so i guess my CV just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

i didn't get a phone interview so i am not sure if thats the norm now. it's good that i have about 5 days to prepare and i am just digging out all the old groundschool books.

Callsign Kilo
3rd Oct 2009, 13:25
Guys, while a general knowledge of 'groundschool material' is required, the assessment is won and lost in the sim.

The key is flexibility - as it is in day to day life within FR. Be prepared for anything in any order. Don't go memorising specific profiles from specific plates. They want to see you adapting to a particular scenario - as a crew. CRM is important. Go through everything that you plan to do or are about to do with your sim partner. Keep talking, keep ahead of the plan and be prepared to encounter a change of plan should the case arise. A good level of handling skills and IF ability is a given, however if you have all this and don't work as a crew and adapt to changes, forget it I'm affraid.

Maybe I'll see you on line? Goodluck

norton2005
3rd Oct 2009, 13:37
Callsign kilo has hit it right on the head, I would listen to his words very carefully if you want a shot with ryanair. Back when I did my assessment with them, my interview was good, my PF sim was awsome, but my PM sim sucked. I was to passive on the day, speak a LOT, work as a team, dont forget to give calls your asked to give in the brief to your fellow sim partner. do these things and you'll be fine. I didnt, and the outcome was negative.

TheGlide
3rd Oct 2009, 14:01
Hi Pilotho

Like the lads say above the assesment is lost and won in the sim from my experience.
If You fly well, wipe the Pilot monitorings backside
and be yourself you shouldnt have a problem.

They want to see could they stick sitting beside you for 8hrs a day.

I dont know how many questions i got wrong although they were in the minority, i still passed.

Its a great experience anyway.

Good luck

pilotho
3rd Oct 2009, 15:43
thanks for all the advice and i didn't even have to ask for them! much appreciated.

that does give me more confidence because i am not dreading the sim ride as much since i am quite confident that i work well with other people and my flying skill is up to scratch.

in terms of applying. i applied through sas in the form of email with my cv attached. i got an email a few days later stating that there are no requirements at the moment and if there are, they will contact me. i just left it from there and was really surprised when i got the call.

by the way, for the guys that are on the line. how did you find it after you had finished base training? did you have to wait long before you was taken to line training?

coltrane
4th Oct 2009, 12:56
In case you finished your MCC recently on 737 or similar type, you should be OK.. If not, I´d strongly recommend to polish your handling skills on a FFS...

good luck.

jimmyjetplane
4th Oct 2009, 15:06
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if courses are planned to be run regularly again now.
The last time I looked, most comments seemed to indicate it would be Springtime until any courses would start again.

Or, are they only running a few courses from now until then, for cadets who have been waiting a long time, or have previously had there course postponed / cancelled?

Lastly,can anyone confirm if they know of anyone who has been required to undertake a 2nd sim assessment, as it has been over 12:= months since they passed the original sim check.

(PM me if you would prefer).:ok:

Many thanks,

Jimmyjetplane.

Mikehotel152
4th Oct 2009, 19:33
Paying £600 for some time on a 737-800 FFS and impressing in the sim assessment is a no-brainer if you get a job out of it. :)

An hour or two in the FFS won't make you a polished performer but it will take away the surprises, calm you down, and allow you to fulfil your potential in the assessment.

The Real Slim Shady
4th Oct 2009, 19:40
An hour or two in the FFS won't make you a polished performer but it will take away the surprises, calm you down, and allow you to fulfil your potential in the assessment.

Until you find that you aren't in an 800 FFS.

Don't waste your money: you will be briefed on the sim trip. You will not be expected to fly the sim to LPC standard. We all know that a guy coming from a PA34 will find it tricky.

Turn up, be yourself, fly the sim to the best of your ability.

Airsey
4th Oct 2009, 21:14
I got a few general questions wrong in the technical interview, but the interviewer for me seemed to ask me to clarify my wrong answers, and from that he would ask me "so what what would happen if this happened" or something of the sort to lead me onto getting the right answer. I think he did that basically to see whether I KNEW the answer but was just nervous, or whether i actually had no idea. But I think I won it back with my knowledge of my previous aircraft. He let me spend about 10 minutes going into details about the engine of my aircraft, and lots more stuff.

My sim wasn't very strong in my experience, but I flew it well, my NDB approach was at most 20feet off of the plates but it took me 3 go arounds before I actually pressed the TOGA buttons and made it easier on myself to use the FD bars haha. After the 3rd one when I pressed the TOGA, instructor said "that's what I was waiting for you to do, now lets do another one and land" lol. He was really nice in general. Oh and don't forget to bring a pen!!! :}

pilotho
4th Oct 2009, 21:39
I also did my flying on the Seneca but then did my MCC on the 737-400 sim. I feel that like a lot of things, all you have to do is stay ahead of the game. Surely you felt the same way when you was going from a single to the Seneca.

Like everything, the task seems a lot harder until you have done it. Flying a 737 is just about anticipation, if you know what it's going to do then eventually you will find that it's not that much of a beast.

The Real Slim Shady
4th Oct 2009, 21:43
Guys,

Chill.

The Ryanair pilots who do the sim assessment are human: they are experienced pilots and you will find yourself doing base training or line training with them.

They are NOT like the "up their own assholes" ThomsonFly assessors so don't worry.

PS FR is the best job in the business so keep applying, and whatever else you do, don't ever mention being in some holding pool.

pilotho
4th Oct 2009, 21:57
guess you didn't have a good experience with Thomsonfly then

TheBeak
5th Oct 2009, 05:48
They are NOT like the "up their own assholes" ThomsonFly assessors so don't worry.

That is a huge generalisation. Some of the nicest pilots I have met.

and whatever else you do, don't ever mention being in some holding pool.

That is very interesting to hear. Why is that a problem to them? Bizarre reasoning. Is that becasuse you're more difficult to exploit?

With the greatest of respects the assessment sounds a joke. The interview should be very important.

Airsey
5th Oct 2009, 06:45
Sorry, to clarify, we were not allowed to use FD for the entire test. He just showed us how it worked first of all, then turned it off for the rest of the flight. The only time it came on again was on the G/A when you press the TOGA buttons. Makes the single engine G/A so much more of a doddle than if you dont press them... (which like I said I didnt do twice!) hehehe. Good luck!!!:ok:

Herc708
5th Oct 2009, 06:48
"....I was to passive on the day, speak a LOT, work as a team, dont forget to give calls your asked to give in the brief to your fellow sim partner...."

Being passive on the day is something to be avoided especially if you are PM. There is a tendency not to get involved but if there is any doubt speak up - ask etc ! I was flying weith the Chief Pilot, me as PM, he started an approach brief, I said "...that's not what I am seeing...etc", it turned out that I had the wrong approach plate (my mistake) BUT, importantly, it showed that I was awake / alert and fully in the loop and he said so !

Herc708
5th Oct 2009, 06:59
What Airsey says is partially correct but can be dangerous - TOGA will give you 'level wings' and a little 'pitch up'. Because of the yaw, folllowing the FD, you can end up in a skidding turn, facing the other other direction from which you approached or even worse ! Make sure you are in heading mode as soon as you have overcome the fright you get when the engine fails - the FD should then take you away from the danger

TheGlide
5th Oct 2009, 10:07
RSS

Please dont feed the troll,Let these guys talk about what they want to talk about, without interuption from the bashers.

Airsey
5th Oct 2009, 11:20
Ahh yes Herc, I understand what you're saying. Very good point. Sorry was just trying to clarify that the FD's were not used through out the entire sim ride. Bet yes what you said is correct. I'll tell you what though, it is wierd if you have been flying smaller planes for some time. I had a job on a Twotter not long before I took the interview, and my habits from that were hard to break (especially using the rudder on approach). But the instructor understood that and just guided more than got p****d off about it. Just listen carefully to what he tell you in the sim, follow his instructions and most of all... when he shows you a plate, and asks you to tell him where you are on that plate using your NDB, don't get it wrong! I got it wrong first time, he asked me are you sure, I looked again and then told him the right answer and he was happy... made me feel like a total idiot though since I had dealt with NDB's for the past 18 months. :ugh:

Mikehotel152
5th Oct 2009, 18:22
Until you find that you aren't in an 800 FFS

Not if they tell you in advance that your assessment will be in a 737-800 FFS and send you the briefing pack which confirms the sim to be used, its configuration, and the profile to be flown. Certain reputable training companies are well versed in how the assessment is conducted and can offer a lot of help. When you consider that only 1 in 10 get offers following the assessment, it seems worth considering it. Each to his own, of course, but it unquestionably helped me get the job.

We were given the choice as to whether we wanted to use the FD or not. My sim buddy chose to use the FD; I chose not to and flew on raw data because IMHO flying with a FD is an acquired skill. He had a mare, I got the offer.

My advice is:-

- Do learn the pack they send you by email so you know the assessment SOP (it's not the normal Ryanair SOP) off by heart;

- Do learn the speeds and pitch/power settings;

- Don't be quiet while PM because its partly your job to ensure the PF gets it right;

- But don't badger the PF because he or she might have a more laid-back or different style to yours;

- Don't use any automation unless you know it intimately because if you get it wrong you will be criticised;

- Do think outside the box if you can. There may be some gotchas. For example, after an emergency, finding yourself below MSA and 20nm out in a mountainous area, would you accept a clearance to immediately commence an ILS without Radar vectors or would you prefer an immediate climb and then a procedural approach?

- Do delegate to the PM if you find yourself overwhelmed as PF;

- Don't worry about going first on the day, even if its within moments of being issued your plates. It might work out to your advantage. ;)

- Do let your sim buddy be PF first...You will learn from their mistakes and be inspired by their triumphs. Sitting in the cockpit will relax you a little before you take the RHS.

Best of luck! :ok:

TheBeak
5th Oct 2009, 19:44
When you consider that only 1 in 10 get offers following the assessment

Out of pure interest, from where did you get that statistic?

RSS

Please dont feed the troll

Do you mean please don't speak the embarassing truth? I have said before, I am not a troll. To be fair though, I don't know what one is soooooo.

I really am fascinated by the Ryanair assessment though. Every selection, interview rocess I have doen has been a number of 'stages' involved essays and interviews first and then involved a sim ride. Yet Ryanair have a seemingly 'box ticking' interview which is largely irrelevant to the panel (backed up by numerous independant posts) and a sim ride in a jet which they put all the weight of their decision in to.

PS FR is the best job in the business so keep applying, and whatever else you do, don't ever mention being in some holding pool.

Two points on this one:

1. Why were you applying to Thomson if FR is so brilliant?

And this one I really need you to justify to me:

2. Why would you not mention that you are in a holdpool? Firstly it shows that you have been previously assessed and selected thus implying if you meet Ryanairs mythical standards that it hasn't been a fluke on either attempt. It is also only fair and right, especially given the current scheme of things. I just don't see what the problem is. Madness. Please back up why you said this.

My questions and points are relevant to anyone with any self respect thinking of spending £260 on a 'selection' with Lyin'air.

Mikehotel152
5th Oct 2009, 20:49
Out of pure interest, from where did you get that statistic?

A Ryanair Training Captain.

Every selection, interview rocess I have doen has been a number of 'stages' involved essays and interviews first and then involved a sim ride. Yet Ryanair have a seemingly 'box ticking' interview which is largely irrelevant to the panel (backed up by numerous independant posts) and a sim ride in a jet which they put all the weight of their decision in to.

I presume you're comparing Ryanair with FTOs like CTC?

I suppose you have to remember that Ryanair are an Airline looking for immediate solutions to their recruitment needs. They aren't looking for training potential because pilots come to them having obtained the necessary licences. The Assessment Day at Ryanair is therefore aimed, I imagine, at looking at immediate ability rather than potential. Their standards are high despite what is said on Pprune.

On the other hand, an FTO looking for candidates to join their expensive courses is looking for an 'ideal' candidate or at the very least someone with lots of money who will perform well in their specific training environment. What's more, they want a certain type of personality, compatible with what their associate Airlines believe they require. They are looking to fill spaces in a holding pool.

Is aptitude testing and exhaustive personality profiling through essays, group exercises and face to face interviews better than a single technical/HR interview and sim check in FFS, followed by reference checks? Who's to say. Horses for courses. I passed both forms of Assessment Days and found both very tough and, quite honestly, very interesting.

If we're talking instead about a 'third way', such as you'd find with applications to BA, Flybe or other similar Airlines, then you're talking about something out of the reach of 250 hour pilots; not that there are any such opportunities going for the low hour pilot anyway!

:)

TheBeak
5th Oct 2009, 20:53
Pardon?

I am simply (or perhaps not so simply in that previous attempt) asking 3 questions based upon the NEW information that has been brought to the party. I am asking real questions about apparently real facts from real Ryanair pilots/ selectors and thus as a result would like to help all of these desperate hopefuls make a real decision.

1. Where did the statistic 1 in 10 pass come from?
2. Why must you NEVER admit to being in a holdpool? (Ok we know why - you wont get the job, but, why is it a problem for Ryanair?)
3. Why do they put so much weight on probably very uncurrent people with no jet experience performing well in a jet when they have already proven that they can pass an IR and CPL etc and an MCC. Surely the Interview should have more weight to it? Especially given the cost risk to Ryanair is nil, The TR is paid for by the trainee. So why put the weight of the assessment on the sim ride?

They are three valid questions that you should all be asking yourselves.

I am not trying to have a go at the valuable info that MikeHotel and TRSS have offered, I am merely trying to raise questions others may have overlooked in the euphoria of being offered one of these 'golden tickets' into the RHS. Its that good old cofirmation Bias rearing it's ugly head again - and I am not talking about the PPRUNE contributor. It's even more fatal when mixed with a dose of 'Ryanair denial'.

Here is a formula for you:

Confirmation Bias + Ryanair Denial = Bye Bye Mum and Dads home.:E

So you undestand:

Confirmation Bias:

'In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and to irrationally avoid information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs'

Taken from:

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)

Denial:

'Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence'

Taken from:

Denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial)

You lot demonstrate both by the oil tanker load. There's none so deaf as those who wont listen.

BA, Flybe or other similar Airlines, then you're talking about something out of the reach of 250 hour pilots

Now that is bizarre becuase I have 4 mates flying for Flybe all who started straight out of training and about 20 mates at BA who all joined straight out of training. Weird huh! I am not refering to the type of selection that CTC do, more they types that BA, FLYBE, THOMSON, NETJETS, MONARCH, THOMAS COOK, JET2, VIRGIN, AIR FRANCE, LUFTHANSA, KLM etc. do.

'Ideal' candidates are the ones who should be getting the job. Where is Ryanairs immediate need? They have had peoeple going stale in a holdpool for ages and flying their pilots at something like 7/9ths capacity. So that reasoning doesn't fit.

However Mikehotel, thank you for your gentlemenly response and for addressing the questions instead of trying to be 'one of the lads' and have a go.

TheGlide
5th Oct 2009, 21:04
And the following is what happens when you feed the troll !:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Beak you need to get yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend whatever your into!

For your information i was asked 30 different technical questions in my interview ranging from Met,Air Law,Aerodynamics,Performance,Principles of Flight etc and they were quite difficult.
But my point is, if you have studied before hand and still hold good knowledge from ground school you should be ok.

On my type rating course there is only 2 from 12 on the day that where selected.

and I have heard that a 20 perc pass rate or so is about average by two different Instructors in the training department in Ryanair.

Also they pay real attention into what type of person you are for example 'could i sit next to this guy for 8 hrs'
Which may if you pay attention might answer your own question.
why you dont have a job!!!

pilotho
5th Oct 2009, 21:05
TheBeak, can I just put yourself in one of new pilot's shoes.

You have finished training in probably the worst time with minimal experience. The only chance to get a job at the moment is to further expend and get that TR by yourself. All the while, those loan deadlines are approaching and at the same time you have to keep current so that when the industry improves, you might get a chance for a job.

In my opinion, it's worthwhile to pay for the TR as long as Ryanair offer me employment because I don't have to worry about keeping current and becoming rusty. They work us hard and we can build experience up quickly. If I didn't take this option, I would be working at a job with much lower wage and having to pay for flying and that's useful flying, not just an hour in the Warrior flying VFR.

I don't know what your background is but we know the risks and the consequences. We don't need to be kept reminded about the fact that our parents have given some of us an opportunity to get our foot on the ladder through their sacrifice.

TheBeak
5th Oct 2009, 21:05
Change the tune glide. You are a classic specimen.

IrishJetdriver
5th Oct 2009, 21:13
Perhaps the interviewer is wondering if they can stand to sit next to you for several hours as well as checking your general knowledge?

The sim is important. If you can't fly then it's going to cost you a small fortune in extra sim sessions on top of what you are already paying for the TR. If you fail the TR, and people do fail it, then not only have you got nothing for your money, your sim buddy no longer has a sim buddy and that screws him/her up and it also screws the company up because they've already got big plans for you.

As others say, be very prepared. The 738 is a rocket ship compared with what most are used to, but if you really know what to expect you can get nicely ahead of the game. Remember how tough a light twin was compared to a single? Jets are simple. Push levers forward and scenery speeds up, pull them back and scenerey (eventually) slows down. Thrust/Pitch couple is very powerful. There's bugger all trim change with flaps. Use the electric trim. When rotating count to 4 while doing it. You know when you're airborne because you hear a clear CLICK once the wheels are off the ground. You can then pull reasonable firmly to get through the dead patch and you're away.

In the sim you're a team. Just like the real world.

Mikehotel152
5th Oct 2009, 21:37
Oh well, I suppose saying anything at all about Ryanair is bound to be confirming my bias or denying I'm confirmed, or something like that. I think we've been here before haven't we Beak? :)

But to recap, I answered Question 1.

As for Question 2, I can't remember whether I admitted I am in hold pools at my Ryanair interview. If asked, I wouldn't have denied it.

I don't quite follow this 'weighting' argument. I had both a sim assessment and a lengthy interview. I don't know which one they put more weight on. Does anyone? But what I would guess is that if you perform poorly in either, that part of the Assessment will be cut short.

I have 4 mates flying for Flybe all who started straight out of training and about 20 mates at BA who all joined straight out of training. Weird huh! I am not refering to the type of selection that CTC do, more they types that BA, FLYBE, THOMSON, NETJETS, MONARCH, THOMAS COOK, JET2, VIRGIN, AIR FRANCE, LUFTHANSA, KLM etc. do.

Joined straight out of training? Lucky buggers! And what percentage of the low hour pilots recruited into the above list of Airlines applied direct and not through a tame FTO with a linked recruitment programme? I will happily stand corrected if it turns out that they have been taking on low hour pilots from outside their FTOs in the last year.

'Ideal' candidates don't exist and won't be found by asking lots of questions. That's pretty much my point. From what I know about recruitment into any industry, the recruiters make their decision very quickly once the candidate comes into the room and starts talking. That could happen after 15 minutes in a sim, 30 minutes in a sim, or 5 minutes into an interview.

By the way Beak, doesn't this confirmation bias thing work both ways? Or do you deny it? :E

stefair
5th Oct 2009, 21:41
When you consider that only 1 in 10 get offers following the assessment,

Mikehotel152, Can you confirm this? I find it hard to believe to be honest. It's scary...

TheBeak, I agree with most of what you say on here as you do sound knowledgeable and intelligent. However, please do yourself a favor and do not rise for every bait someone on here holds out for you.

Although I find it quite funny what you come up with at times - this is a compliment - but please hold your horses for a minute as this is a very interesting conversation folks are having here right now, which many might benefit from.

Let me tell you this, I have been one of Ryanair's greatest critics and have and still do detest the thought of undertaking an overpriced SSTR. That being said, however, I have spoken to numerous Ryanair jockeys now and find it pretty cool as to what they say.

I completed my training a year ago and could kick myself in the butt for not having attempted to join the lot last year when it was probably much easier to pass the damn sim ride, let alone getting picked for a selection in the first place. Instead I myself was so arrogant to think I would find a company paying for my MCC and TR... Today I know better. I have been ever so lucky to have found a flying job right after training but it ain't a 737 I am afraid.

Early this year I passed a selection with a turboprop operator based in central Europe. I was told to expect to start my TR course early next year. I would be flying a type that pretty much no one else in Europe operates yet they demand us rookies to pay for the TR - 21k ... euros. We can expect about 1,800 after taxes a month. Now how in the world am I going to make a living on that, if I want to start paying back my loan (luckily it's "only" my parents' cash, which they did have in the bank so no home at stake and I went modular to save funds and reduce the risk)? The company is currently in turmoil and the management are asking staff to give up 15 percent of their salary for an undefined period of time and 2 days annual leave. This in turn would reduce my salary down to ... let's see ... yes, 1,500... A joke, don't you think? And even worse no one can actually say how long they will be around. I might be investing 21k in that company and find myself without a job in less than a year but a useless TR on my license. Would you go for that one?

Would I choose Ryanair over that company? You bet. In a heartbeat.

I still disagree with the fact that Ryanair overcharge new cadets for the TR but once you fly the line you do get paid well, pilot brandnew 737s and have an awesome roster. Also, even if they base you anywhere in Europe one can always shuttle home for free for your days off. The fact I would have to pay for my uniform I could not care less about. The Ryanair guys I have talked to are enjoying themselves, building jet time, and making good money. At least much much more than I am making right now and would with that turboprop job. But most importantly, Ryanair are a stable outfit, they are friggin' good at what they do and will be around for some time to come. Like it or not.

Again, I do not know what I was thinking last year but man do I regret not having completed my MCC and applied to them. I will have completed my MCC in about a month and first thing I will do when getting my MCC certificate is ... yep ... registering with CAE. Unfortunately, I do not think I stand a chance of getting picked as they seem to favor OAA and FTE graduates. :ugh:

But if they do, boy will I be well prepared for that ride!

Please just accept the fact that some do find Ryanair a great company to work for. There's far worse out there I am afraid...

Mikehotel152
5th Oct 2009, 22:09
It's what I was told Stefair. But like most things you get told in this life, it's probably only half true! Maybe it's 1 in 20, maybe 1 in 5... :confused:

Dihaz
6th Oct 2009, 13:00
First of all guys in neutral towards RYR so im not biased....

Im really worried that RYR call guys to interviews with no actual intendtion of taking them on just to 'fill the numbers' all the while them taking 260 odd pounds off you in the process. When people back out the outit at EMA start ringing people to ask them if they would like to attend. This is freaky as there is a lot of money that they would recieve from 10-12 people paying £260 with two interview days taking place a week.

Any views on this???>....

TheBeak
6th Oct 2009, 19:57
Dihaz, you're thinking the right way.

I am very impressed to see that we can have a more reasoned, gentle and respectful discussion on the topic without the 'October TR' contingent available to spit their irrational, unreasoned venom. Though we still have Glide to man that fort.

Stefair, given that you do understand, appreciate and agree with what I am saying, I would say, for what it is worth - if Ryanair give you a go and you are one of the 'lucky' 10% you should comfortably go for it. It shows that you have at least acted with thought and not lust, testosterone and impulse like I strongly suspect most have.

MikeHotel, I am a human being, I of course suffer from Confirmation Bias and Denial. As a pilot I wouldn't be complacent about either. So don't make light of them. Explain how I am suffering from either in my posts and I will happily discuss further and accept it and learn from your observations. I have merely stated facts from your mouths and contested their acceptance by you (Plural).

I'd imagine many less than 10% 'pass' the Ryanair 'selection'. And for the future, given the undeniable state of the industry and it's effects on any fresh/ stale low houred pilot and given the undeniable perfidious and slippery nature of Ryanair in my opinion many, many less will be passing the so called selections. They may have been done for a need previously but now they are being used to generate revenue if not profit. As I have said, the sims are there regardless, the pilots and HR are on the payroll regardless and the warehouse / hanger is there regardless of whether the assessments happen - fact. More assessments must equal more revenue and almost certainly equals more profit. It's fine for the 'lucky' ones who pass but it's an unnecessary expense and kick in the nuts for the other 90% who haven't been 'selected'. And given the many apparent unusual pitfalls in the selection (like accidently saying you are in another holdpool) it genuinely sounds an absurd test to me. But given the fact everyone in this industry is between a rock and a hard place, what can you do?

Just give them the £260, you know and they know that you want to.

Mikehotel152
6th Oct 2009, 21:23
It's fair to be suspicious of Ryanair. MO'L doesn't exactly go out of his way to seem likeable and the recruitment path is expensive, unpredictable and cut-throat. However, for some people it makes good sense to apply to Ryanair and accept the unenviable terms of a Brookfield Contract. And there are plenty of rewards from working for such a large, well-run and profitable organisation in a global recession.

I actually have a lot of time for Beak because, although I don't agree with him in some respects, he does raise issues that every prospective Ryanair/Brookfield pilot ought to seriously consider. That said, it's very easy to find bad things to say about Ryanair, especially when most of your views are not taken from first-hand experience.

In a funny kind of a way, not being eligible to apply to Ryanair or being rejected by Ryanair probably comes as a relief to most people because you can then vent your dislike of the Airline to your heart's content! However there are very few low-hour pilots who would turn down an opportunity of a good job at the moment. None of the traditional recuitment routes are active and Airlines like BA are shedding jobs.

The fact is that Ryanair selection costs a few hundred pounds and there are no guarantees that you will be successful. They don't take very many from each selection day because they don't have to. They are picky, yet Ryanair are employing a lot of new pilots at the moment - there are no fewer than 3 Type Rating courses of 12 pilots each taking place in the next 3 months that I know of. I don't hear bad vibes from within Ryanair and I haven't heard of any other opportunities for low-hour pilots since I got my CPL well over a year ago.

It's fine for the 'lucky' ones who pass but it's an unnecessary expense and kick in the nuts for the other 90% who haven't been 'selected'.

Frankly I don't see that as a valid criticism. £260 is a drop in the ocean compared with the cost of getting a CPL/IR and MCC certificate. It's a chance of a job. Applying is a no-brainer and, as BEak says:... given the fact everyone in this industry is between a rock and a hard place, what can you do?

:confused:

McBruce
6th Oct 2009, 22:32
Dihaz, you are thinking the wrong way I'm afraid. Why would Ryanair stop interviewing when they announced the previous recruitment freeze? During a time when the up coming financial figures wasn't good reading for the share holders! Afterall, this is supposadly one of RYR's money making machines.:rolleyes:

Dihaz
8th Oct 2009, 11:28
Mc Bruce I hear what you say and again in quite neutral about RYR im just thinking logically and with a cool head.
The fact of the matter is if they had continued recruitment interviews over the last couple of months (i.e. during the worst of the downturn) they would have most definately raised some eyebrows as to the intentions of their recruitment dept. Dont forget that they were one of the last to halt recruitment and they are one of the first to open it up again. If your still sceptical about what my theory then how about this. How could the company justify to the industry a supposed recruitment drive when at the same time theyre always in the news for shutting down bases or grounding aircraft. It just does not make sense, so therefore you halt the 'drop in the ocean' of income from recruitment and you do what you want on other fronts to aleviate any suspicions.

I too have many friends in RYR and they are pritty content with the company and i hope so for their sake.
Mc Bruce your absolutely correct. It is a 'drop in the ocean', I dont find the £260 thats the problem. The biggest problem is the way the wannabees will feel when told they 'failed' the interview when there was never much chance of many people getting through anyway.

All im saying is that there should be some reponsible recruitment going on otherwise aviation will also turn into something of a banking crisis as we have just seen. . . . .

Dont forget aswell that there are now so many people with 738 ratings on the market that the value of such a rating will decrease aswell. So whats more benefical? a 738 rating or a 320 rating. But then thats another issue so I wont go on further for the purposes of this thread.

To the guy who initially made this thread (sorry I forgot your name) on the 7th. Give it your best be as prepared as you can, go in positive and best of luck. Should you not get selected, contemplate where you went wrong and try to correct that aspect of yourself BUT whatever you do remain positive about the future and dont bring yourself down too much. Otherwise best of luck!

Dihaz
8th Oct 2009, 11:30
Just realised that the 7th was yest so good luck to the guys how attended. It will be interesting how many people got through.

pilotho
8th Oct 2009, 11:39
The day went really well so thank you for all that gave best wishes.

I am confident that I did the best although obviously there could still be areas of improvement. I am now waiting for the decision which I am not going to think about for the next 2 weeks!

Overall, I got the vibe that the company is very friendly and everyone that walked through the corridor said hello and gave a very good atmosphere.

I feel that Ryanair has a very unique way of doing business and if that's their model and it's working for them then I guess people will just have to accept their approach to things.