PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Navdata

Kulix
1st Oct 2009, 09:23
I want to ask you some provocative question.

Our flight club often organized some games, quests and competitions for fun and celebratings.
And there is a need to create our own fake waypoints and airports.
We have no troubles with waypoints (what is understandable :) ) but in some cases we would like to simulate an small airfield or airport.
I understand that is some violation of aviation laws but it would be used only on our own risk and fun :)
Does everybody know, is there a possibility to create own fake airports in Jeppesen NavData and use it for own risk? (using Garmin GPSMAP 296)

411A
1st Oct 2009, 11:22
Now, let us suppose that this 296 was to fall into the hands of a real pilot, in a real airplane, and a real accident occured, one would think, from a legal standpoint, that Jeppesen might be just a bit miffed.
Lawyers could have a field day with this scenario....for years.:}

no sig
1st Oct 2009, 12:07
Kulix
I can see where you going with this, but it sounds to me as if you're on the 'wrong side of what is right' with this idea- might be OK on MS Flight Sim, not in real life. Best plan your club activities using existing aerodromes and airspace- that can be just as fun.

CJ Driver
1st Oct 2009, 17:30
Despite the earlier negative comment, I can't see what is wrong with this, but I also can't see what Jeppesen has to do with it?

Jeppesen publish a set of standard navigational data, as do various other providers. All the nav boxes that I have used include the ability for the operator to add their own additional data to the set that came from the nav supplier. You don't change the underlying base data in the process, and you certainly don't violate any laws.

There are hundreds of "company waypoints" added to the FMS in the jet that I fly, none of which was deemed important enough by the database vendor to include, but which we routinely use as real waypoints. There are even a handful of complete instrument approach procedures, meticulously transcribed from the AIP because again, the database guys keep missing them out.

More unusually, we can and do add entire airports (it's to do with database restrictions, but I won't bore you).

In light aircraft fly-ins to farm strips and private airfields it is quite routine for the destination to be missing from the standard aviation database - no problem, just add it yourself. Of course, a prudent flying club will then compare GPS readouts on the ground before leaving the clubhouse, to make sure all the pilots are going to the same field!

I am quite certain (although I am not a user) that the Garmin 296 will allow you to do this.