PDA

View Full Version : Mode S Flight ID

DaveReidUK
30th Sep 2009, 09:04
Most NCAAs and/or ANSPs have published reminders over the past few years about the supposed importance of ensuring that the Flight ID transmitted via Mode S matches the flight plan identification.

Does anyone know of any sanctions that have been applied to crews who chooses to deliberately abuse the system ?

Here's a good example of what I mean, courtesy of our Canadian brethren (don't click on the link if you're easily offended): www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/C-GKFB%20Callsign.gif (http://www.civilaircraftregisters.org/Mode_S_Resources/C-GKFB%20Callsign.gif)

moscho999
1st Oct 2009, 14:38
I don't think sanctions are applied yet in Europe. However in our company we are having a lot of problems with Mode S Flight IDs:
On some B737 (Dual FMC?) the flight ID is not correctly downlinked (according to the controllers), even with the corrected data inserted in the FMC.
Does anybody share this experience - we have no clues how to rectify this issue.

Thanks!

Denti
1st Oct 2009, 15:00
At the start of the flight ID operation in germany we had a few problems like that in our 733s (single FMC, re-fitted transponder). Displayed flight ID for our ATCO colleagues was often a wrong ID or the one from the previous sector, however that happened only in the bremen FIR. Apparently it was a software problem in the radar tracker software in that FIR with those special transponders, it was solved with a software update on the ATC side of things.

Currently i am not aware of any problems like that on our dual FMC 737NGs (nor on the airbus fleet), only that sometimes someone forgets to put in the right ID. The latter grows into an important matter as germany moves into flight ID only for IFR flights, an operation which is currently tested on selected routes and where you only sqawk 1000 and the ATC system tracks the flight ID and not the squawk.

Spodman
7th Oct 2009, 23:15
Would only be a problem for me if there was an eligible flight plan with the same ident...