PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic system failure

brak
29th Sep 2009, 03:16
Today on a US Airways flight (A320) evidently 2 hydraulic systems failed, and they had to make a (safe but definitely nontrivial) landing without flaps or steering.

Other than my friend's story on a blog, though, I can't find any additional information. Would something like that be reported to any organization - if so, where?

Avman
29th Sep 2009, 08:30
NTSB. Might be a few days before it's written in though.

N T S B - Aviation Accidents - Index of Months (http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/month.asp)

joe two
29th Sep 2009, 08:34
The "no steering" part is incorrect.

There may have been "no nosewheel steering" though, on the ground.

As well as some steering panels are not functioning any more inflight.
(Like some spoilers , or even all ailerons in case of green and yellow hydraulic failure).

Good job as the handling changes and it becomes a bit of a handful, depending on the combination of failed hydraulic systems.

brak
29th Sep 2009, 16:32
Yep, I think that's what the original author meant by "no steering" too, I just didn't want to use a more specific language either way. Any aircraft has "some" steering using differential engine power.

Sounds very strange to me that two hydraulic systems can be incapacitate so easily by simply "not closing the door" somewhere (and that a 3rd system give such limited control of aircraft).