View Full Version : Single Flying around London, VFR.

HeathrowAirport
28th Sep 2009, 21:29
Hi,
Ive noticed the area over London just east of Battersea is Class D, is it possible to get a Single Engine over London then? Becuase Ive seen one recently and is there any charts I could look at for that area online?

My mate is planning on a flight from Biggin hill via going over London at the correct way possible, so what do we need to look at before we go flying?

What restrictions etc

Regards,

Robbie

Roffa
28th Sep 2009, 21:52
...so what do we need to look at before we go flying?

ANO, Rules of The Air, Rule 5 will be a good place to start if we're talking a single engined plank.

Snoopy
28th Sep 2009, 22:45
single engined plank

My grandmother had a single-engined broomstick...does that qualify??

Vortex Issues
29th Sep 2009, 06:23
Have a look at this chart in the AIP

London City CTR/A (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EGLC/EG_AD_2_EGLC_4-1_en.pdf)

Wach out for the restricted areas (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_5_1_en.pdf)

EG R107 Belmarsh
EG R157 Hyde Park
EG R158 City of London
EG R159 Isle of Dogs
EG R160 The Specified Area

I suggest your friend plans 2 routes - 1 remaining outside controlled airspace. Thames Radar can be very busy so there is no guarantee they'll be able to get you through.

and as already been mentioned from the ANO (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf)

Low flying prohibitions
5.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft shall comply with the low flying prohibitions in
paragraph (3) unless exempted by rule 6.
(2) If an aircraft is flying in circumstances such that more than one of the low flying prohibitions apply, it shall fly at the greatest height required by any of the applicable prohibitions.
(3) The low flying prohibitions are as follows—
(a) Failure of power unit
An aircraft shall not be flown below such height as would enable it to make an
emergency landing without causing danger to persons or property on the surface in the event of a power unit failure.
(b) The 500 feet rule
Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not be flown closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.
(c) The 1,000 feet rule
Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft flying over a congested area of a city town or settlement shall not fly below a height of 1,000 feet above the highest fixed obstacle within a horizontal radius of 600 metres of the aircraft.
(d) The land clear rule
An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city, town or settlement shall not fly below such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the congested area in the event of a power unit failure.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Sep 2009, 06:37
Robbie.... if your friend has not undertaken such a flight before he should brief himself thoroughly, using facilities at his flying club together with advice from instructors. You should not rely wholly on advice from an internet forum.

There are laid down procedures for single-engined aircraft to fly over London which include altitude restrictions but, as already suggested, whether you do it will depend on traffic at the time.

HeathrowAirport
29th Sep 2009, 11:14
Hi,

Guys thanks for the replies. Vortex Issues, Area EG R160, Ive seen single aircraft in this zone at about 1500ft, how did they get this? Or can Single Fixed wing aicraft fly over this area?

HD, the most likely time we would fly will be Saturday after midday when LCY is closed, were I see most Light aircraft.

The route I would like to do is Biggin Hill, Bromley South, Crystal Palace, Duwlich, Burgess Park (Camberwell) to overfly my house, London Eye, Millenium Dome, then track towards southend and then back towards Biggin Hill.

Im guessing this is possible as long as its not too busy.

Roffa
29th Sep 2009, 12:02
HA, with the above route you will certainly be breaching Rule 5 in a single engined light aircraft at the altitudes you'll be offered.

ATC are not police in this respect so subject traffic the clearance for the route may be forthcoming, but at the levels it will be offered at then parts of it will certainly be more than questionable in the legality stakes.

You may have seen others in the area but that doesn't make it big nor clever. I suggest you either rethink or ask your PPL chum if he's willing to risk a prosecution.

Note neither the Thames nor any of the various London Parks are considered suitable (ie not congested areas) for the purposes of a forced landing.

Don't do it.

Spitoon
29th Sep 2009, 12:12
Note neither the Thames nor any of the various London Parks are considered suitable...Interesting, considered not suitable by whom? I don't necessarily disagree, but I thought it would be something that would be argued in court - and I don't recall any cases.

Roffa
29th Sep 2009, 12:31
Spitoon, it is my understanding that this was established following a successful CAA prosecution of a single engined aircraft flying over London at the sort of levels we're talking about here some years ago.

2 sheds
29th Sep 2009, 13:06
Also, ANO...

'Congested area' in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes' - my italics.

2 s

Talkdownman
29th Sep 2009, 14:48
Flight over congested areas
Listening to conversations among groups of pilots, we have been reminded that some may not be fully conversant with the application of the Rules of the Air regarding flight over congested areas. While the Rules
themselves are clear, the interpretation of the phrase “congested area” is perhaps not.
As defined in Article 155 of the Air Navigation Order 2005, the “congested area” in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes. While most of that may be obvious, it is often forgotten that an area within the boundaries of any such city, town or settlement which is used for recreational purposes forms part of the congested area. The pilot of any aircraft (except helicopters which have their own rules) must be able to alight clear of the whole congested area in the event of failure of a power unit. What might appear from above to be a possible suitable emergency landing field in the middle of a town will almost certainly be substantially used for recreational purposes, as will stretches of water such as the Lea valley to the North of London City Airport.
We would also remind everyone that air traffic controllers do not know whether an aircraft is capable of alighting clear of the congested area in the event of the failure of a power unit, and may offer a pilot a routing which he cannot legally accept. It is the commander’s responsibility to ensure that he remains legal and safe at all times, so if an air traffic clearance would contravene the Rules of the Air, the pilot should inform the controller that he is unable to accept it and request an alternative clearance. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_gad_gasil2of2006.pdf)

flygirl711
30th Sep 2009, 14:41
Hear, Hear!
Well put Sticky 2..

Piltdown Man
2nd Oct 2009, 14:52
The "correct way" over London is over Essex (or Berkshire). Flights over the "interesting bit" aren't legal and if you do get a clearance over the centre, your mate has a very reasonable chance of explaining how it was legal to the Enforcement Branch of the CAA. It's been discussed many times before and the general opinion is that it's not worth the risk to your licence or the fine.

PM

bookworm
4th Oct 2009, 17:35
Vortex Issues, Area EG R160, Ive seen single aircraft in this zone at about 1500ft, how did they get this? Or can Single Fixed wing aicraft fly over this area?

EG R160 is "the specified area" and applies only to single engine helicopters. It's necessary because there's a difference in the way Rule 5 applies to fixed and rotary wing.

5(3)(d) The land clear rule
An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city, town or settlement shall not fly below such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the congested area in the event of a power unit failure.

6(d) Balloons and helicopters over congested areas
(ii) Any helicopter flying over a congested area shall be exempt from the land clear rule.

Because of that, the following is necessary to avoid single engine helicopters doing silly things over London:

The Air Navigation (Restriction of Flying) (Specified Area) Regulations 2005
Flight within specified area
2 Except with the permission in writing of the Civil Aviation Authority and in accordance with any conditions therein specified a helicopter shall not fly over the area specified in the Schedule below such height as would enable it to alight clear of the area in the event of failure of a power unit.

The Specified Area
The area bounded by straight lines joining successively the following points:
[defines EG R160]
excluding so much of the bed of the River Thames as lies within that area between the ordinary high water marks on each of its banks.

It is generally considered that the "congested area" of London for the purpose of rule 5(3)(d) is considerably bigger than EG R160.

bookworm
4th Oct 2009, 17:39
I fly in a twin over the western end of the City zone from time to time, usually on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, talking to the always helpful Thames. The view is wonderful -- so wonderful in fact that it would be terrifying to do it in a single!