PDA

View Full Version : the difference between underspeed and under frequency ?

flame_bringer
28th Sep 2009, 14:54
they seem to be the same :S i mean isnt frequency directly related to the speed of the CSD ?
so if underspeed occurs under frequency would occure as a consequence for it .
so why there is '' underspeed '' protection ?
makes no sense

spannersatcx
28th Sep 2009, 15:17
The axial gear differential/hydraulic speed control section in the IDG converts a varying engine input speed of 4,650 - 9,200 rpm, to a constant output speed of 12,000 ±150 rpm. The constant output speed allows the generator section of the IDG to produce ac power with a frequency of 400 ±5 Hz.

SeldomFixit
29th Sep 2009, 10:38
Is there an underspeed protection or is the underspeed trip the protection ? Think about it.:ok:

flame_bringer
18th Oct 2009, 07:01
after researching and asking people i think i understood it now, so correct me if im wrong.
underspeed means if we're shutting off the engine the frequency of the generator frequency goes down and that would trip all the bus tie breakers in a parrallel system due to under frequency protection activation so a speed switch is situated in the CSD to monitor the oil pressure if it goes low due to underspeed ( engine shut off ) it transmits a signal to GCU which trips the generator line contactor of that particular generator only without tripping all the bus tue contactors and all the other generators .
please someone correct me if im wrong.

SeldomFixit
19th Oct 2009, 06:24
Plus or Minus 5 (Volts/Hz) is the definition of Quality Power - along with correct phase rotation.

flame_bringer
20th Oct 2009, 17:44
yea im talking about the aircrafts that run the generators in parralel eg boeing 727 .

Short_Circuit
23rd Oct 2009, 04:34
An underspeed trip is due to mechanical failure if the CSD or input shaft (or normal engine SD) the result is to only open the GCB. The UF trip will, in a parallel bus system, first trip the Bus tie breaker then GB and Field Relay.
During normal engine SD the Underspeed trips prevents unnecessary loss of bus power and prevents storing nuisance faults.