PDA

View Full Version : AF447 News & Rumours

Dutch Bru
26th Sep 2009, 13:21
It is a shame really that perpetually technical posts related (or not) to AF447's demise have, in the absence of real rumours and news, led Pprune's mods to cut the whole AF447 thread from the "Rumours & News" section and defer it to "Techlog" instead.

That's why I have a go at reinstating a AF447 thread in the "Rumours & News" section, dubbed "AF447 News and Rumours", where I hope that contributors will remain on topic. Especially now everyone has a separate thread in the "Techlog" section where to voice facts and opinion on technical matters. http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/376433-af447.html

Below a bit of news, related to the much debated AF447 Thales pitots, which shows that also the replacement Goodrich ones have issues.

But I would like to see this AF447 thread being reserved to what the "Rumours and News" section is meant for. Even if that means that at least for now one would expect few contributions, until hopefully the third phase of the search will get underway in the weeks ahead.

DB

"EASA release emergency directive regarding A330/A340 Goodrich pitot tubes
By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Sep 22nd 2009 07:22Z, last updated Tuesday, Sep 22nd 2009 07:22Z
The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have released an emergency airworthiness directive (EAD) (http://ad.easa.eu.int/blob/easa_ad_2009_0202E_Correction.pdf/EAD_2009-0202-E_1) regarding all Airbus A330 and A340 Goodrich pitot tubes (part number 0851HL, serial numbers 267328 through 270714 inclusive) after several cases of loose pneumatic quick-disconnect unions were detected. This condition could lead to an air leak resulting in incorrect pressure measurement and incorrect air speed indication.

Current assumption is, that the problem is the result of mis-torque of the affected unions at equipment manufacturing level.

The EAD therefore requires all operators to perform a torque check of all mentioned pitot probes' quick-disconnect unions within 5 days and - depending on findings - apply according corrective action before next flight. The findings - even if no anomalies are detected - are to be reported to Airbus within 10 days."

John47
26th Sep 2009, 13:31
A French judge has told a group of experts to submit a report in March on what happened to Air France Flight 447
Experts to present Flight 447 study in March - Taiwan News Online (http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1066317&lang=eng_news)

patience

PJ2
26th Sep 2009, 13:58
Is the search, in any form, still being carried out for the recorders?

lomapaseo
26th Sep 2009, 14:02
From above

A French judge has told a group of experts to submit a report in March on what happened to Air France Flight 447
Experts to present Flight 447 study in March - Taiwan News Online

patience

As always I distrust interpretations by the media. I doubt that any outside experts, including PPrune can tell us what happened, albeit they may be able to raise appropriate questions