PDA

View Full Version : Christianity in the Military - more

Thirteen-Twelve
28th Nov 2001, 03:00
It would seem that since 'The Mistress' started the thread on this subject she didn't like my responses and has chosen to delete the thread.

Obviously her perogative but I think that this is an immature approach but maybe she is simply living up to her profile which states 'taking the mick out of you'. My experience is that those who can take the micky can rarely take any back, in fact take anything back.

No need now for me to repeat my response though in defence I do not believe I speak spherical genitalia. I do think that if a Padre jumps because the Stn Cdr tells him to I wonder if he might also start straining if the same Stn Crd says SH*T. All Padres Christians or just a person with a theological degree, the ones I met were all OK, the ones I didn't meet - how can I say?

Experience of church and taking part in church related activities does not make a person a christian anymore more than my spending time in my garage makes me a car and perhaps that is a good thing.

The issue is not whether there should be christians in the military but if those same christians ought to go to war and kill people. The issue is addressed, or at least was, in AP3392, vol 5 (Royal Air Force).

Comments from Moggie,Beagle, KBF1 sadly all lost unless you want me to re-type from hard copy. Comments from the mistress - perhaps best lost.

Christians a bunch of to**ers and hypocrites, sadly yes sometimes but not always. Christians prepared to kill and be killed, yes sometimes. People that go to church stuck up, arrogant and always right, sadly they exist. Christians prepared to die for you, yes in the right circumstances. Know a Christian who is 'always'right, arrogant and generally a pain in the ars* and something of a merchant banker - THEN TELL THEM TO THEIR FACE but don't assume they are typical of the type.

To the mistress - your understanding of a shiney tiger is different from mine, not necessarily wrong but certainly different.

Rude C'man
28th Nov 2001, 04:03
13-12 This is one of the best things I've read on Christiananity .. it sucks!!
Religion is the downfall of mankind , for Christ's sake(punn not intended) it's been the cause of most of our battles . I'm with you ,from my experiences most military padres have strings. M
Mistress , I think it was a poormove todelete the thread , if you dont like reading some of the responses then don't post. It's big boys rules , you know the score

The Mistress
28th Nov 2001, 11:46
It became clear late last night that I had inadvertently given a pulpit to the Mil Forum's version of OCB.

"Due to the almost impossible task of policing these forums I have decided that there will be no more politics or religion discussed on the website. You may consider this decision despotic and you may be right but then who gave you a vote? All current threads that I consider to be too politically or religiously sensitive will be closed and any new ones will be dealt with accordingly. Anyone objecting to this decision can make their complaints in writing to [email protected]. Replies may or may not be forthcoming, depending on my workload or mood. Being a despot has its rewards."

I re-read the statement given by Danny re religious threads. It says Forums, not Forum and embraces the whole site.

1312 - who yesterday, came across as arrogant, closed minded and a dictator - is in my mind a bully. If this person were on the end of my 'phone I would put the 'phone down. If he were on my doorstep I would shut the door. Here I can refuse to let him use my thread. I never declared myself to be a Christian. That was his interpretation. His opening gambit was to call me ignorant of the RAF and its' Church. I merely listed the things I had done. He'd done it even better, apparently :)

Now he's started his own thread, that's fine. Danny can decide what to do about it when he gets back from wherever he is. I am quite conscious that this is a privately owned site and I have not yet paid Danny to be something other than another number.

Yes, it is big boy's rules - Danny's rules.

13/12 - I agree, I don't know if that's a flight number or you refer to 13 Apostles and 12 Disciples, if the latter then you may be a lay preacher or, even a Padre yourself. Fine.

You were going down a path I know that Danny would dislike. You were touching on matters that I cannot answer at this time for legal reasons. Make the same points in a few month's time and it will be a different matter.

I thank moggie for his input. He comes across as a really nice chap - his assessment of my belief is quite correct. I also thank kbfi. For 13/12's info kbfi and I are not on snogging terms either. However, kb expressed his deeply held and very personal views in a reasoned and polite manner.

Beags was just taking the mick - good for him - it was intended to be a light hearted thread in the first place and look where it got to.

I am happy to continue this discussion - on YOUR thread :)

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: The Mistress ]

moggie
28th Nov 2001, 12:29
Mistress - thanks for the kind words. My aim is not to be just seen as a nice guy (although that is a welcome bonus!) but to give my input in a reasoned and reasonable fashion.

For those who may have missed it now the original thread has gone, my last post was a response to one from Ralf Wiggum. He stated that as a christian he would be prepared to kill if soem "tin pot dictator" threatened his faith. I asked if that was all he would fight for - what about his country, his family and friends if they were under threat? I suggested that these things were more tangible than faith and therefore more relevant to me - but that I did not dismiss his faith as unreal, just stated that I needed something more solid to defend.

Many Christians have fought and died for their country, family, friends or faith - and I do not see any conflict between the the faith and the actions. However, I do have a problem with people who are in the military but would not actually fight BECAUSE of their faith. If that is the case - leave the fighting force and find something that does not put your conscience under pressure. It is the same as being a member of CND and the RAF (I know at least 1!) - those are incompatible wishes and the integrity of the service suffers.

I am reminded of an address my head of sixth form made at an assembly at school when I was 17. The subject was remembrance day and he started by asking us to remember and honour the dead but then launched an utterly unforgiveable attack upon those men and women who fought and died in war. What he missed when dishonouring their memory was that they were just the instruments of war - it was the politicians (who got no mention) who actually started/perpetuated these conflicts. The gentleman in question is no longer in teaching - he is the Vicar at the church in the village where my parents live.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions (and apologise for going off at a tangent!).

Edited for missed words!

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

The Mistress
28th Nov 2001, 13:25
I am reliably informed by a friendly Pruner (not moggie) that 1312 was a Chinook Flight in Bosnia. Good, that's cleared up. I'm also glad to see that you have moderated your tone somewhat since last night, however ...

Having re-read the first post on this thread I'm reassured that I did the 'right' thing yesterday. Anything 1312 says is of value. Anything I say is worthless. He is right. I am wrong. He knows everything. I know nothing.

In your dreams 1312.

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: The Mistress ]

Cooinda
28th Nov 2001, 16:28
Obviously I missed out on a rather lively thread. However from what I have read of this, it seems to have been perhaps too personal.

I agree with mogs, that if you don't like the heat then get out of the fire. The Services would be the better if the CND type he mentions was to be off. I also experienced similar just before the Gulf war started. Two gentlemen(?) made it known that they didn't join to go to war, they were subsequently held back at base.

To fight and die for family and friends is an easy decision to make. To do so for my country - yes, but with some reservations! For my belief? I believe that God is bigger than all we think Him capable of. Just as seeking answers and guidance by prayer is a part of my everyday life, if I felt called by God to do such a thing, then I would!

13/12 has made some good points, I have met hypocritical self proclaiming Christians. Indeed, everytime I look in the mirror I see one. We are mere men and women subject to the same pressures and distractions as anyone else. I believe that we live in a hypocritical world and subsequently all become tainted by it.

:)

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Cooinda ]

Tigs
28th Nov 2001, 20:22
This was potentially a good thread but seems to have gotten a little petty. The Mistress, are you really The Mistress or as it seems more like The Little Madam? Grow up! We know that you are entitled to hang up the phone if someone is giving you grief, but you would probably know that they were going to and not call them anyway. You started a thread on a public forum and you then delete it because you don't like the response. If people have a view, it does not matter if it is right or wrong, it is their perception, and they are entitled to it. Furthermore your comments concerning Danny sound completely obsequious. I don't know what Danny said because you deleted it! But you can't hide behind the moderators for something you started.
No hard feelings eh! Its just my perceptions.

The Mistress
28th Nov 2001, 20:58
What Danny said is in quotes above. I did not delete it at all - I have cut and pasted it from Jet Blast. Read the thread properly before jumping on someone. That was precisely 1312's problem yesterday. He very quickly became very offensive over something I never said :) My views on religion in fact border on the atheist side of the Church of England. I would never declare myself a Christian. I was born into and raised in the Church of England, that's all.

I have been harangued outside my own home by an Evangelist whom I once thought of as a friend. That experience taught me never to shove my religious views (or lack of) down anyone else's throat. It's truly nauseating to be on the receiving end when you don't agree.

He also now is telling me what the issue was! I know what my original post said and what my original point was. 1312 clearly didn't.

If you want to call me names fine, that puts your maturity into question. Yes, this is a public forum and that is precisely why I deleted the thread! I am entitled to a point of view without the abuse I received yesterday.

I will not be bullied into silence by 1312 or by you. Nor should any other Pruner be squeezed out because they disagree with someone who chooses to be rude to them.

When I said 1312 was speaking bolleaux - I meant his personal comments about me, and that's all. His views on the Church are his own and he is entitled to state them. His personal comments about me are precisely that and I will deal with them as I choose.

What would you like me to put on my personal profile - my full name, address and telephone number? After you :)

Hornetboy
28th Nov 2001, 21:12
RAAF interview today I was asked about my readiness to kill in a war....I mentioned something about the "justness of war" and "justness in war" that I just read here a couple of days ago that I thought really made sense....the guy probably just wanted me to say "yes I would be ready to kill"....anyways it sounded good....too bad I can't remember the name of the bloke that originally imparted the knowledge. Thanks anyway!

The Bonk
28th Nov 2001, 21:14
Cool wet grass....cool wet grass.....cool wet grass....hey guys, say after me....cool wet grass.....cool wet grass...

There ain't a need for this......most people play this site as a bar/happy hour.....so if you don't like the guy/girl thats talking to you walk away. If you don't like the thread then don't post/leave.

Mistress.....you walked away and took your conversation with you because you were fed up with the guy/girl. Tigs/1312, you are now following Mistress around the bar trying to get the conversation going again.

Lads/Lasses ....its her right to walk away. You are appearing like the blown out teenagers that are now shouting across the bar....I am right ....I am right...listen to me I am right (I am sure that I hear the stamping of feet and I'll scheem and scheem until I'm schick in there somewhere!).

Mate who cares, just leave the girl alone, for whatever reason she does not want to talk about it anymore.

Remember...cool wet grass....cool wet grass....cool wet grass.....cool wet grass ;)

tony draper
28th Nov 2001, 22:28
Difficult to light, difficult to light,
difficult to light, difficult to light. ;)

Tigs
28th Nov 2001, 22:33
Bonk, The Mistress(my apologies I never meant to call you names! - Honest)

Agreed - Cool Wet Grass, Cool Wet Grass!

Regards

Tigs

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Tigs ]

Flatus Veteranus
28th Nov 2001, 22:50
Which all goes to prove the wisdom of the old rule against discussing ladies or religion in the bar. Stick to sex and motorcars, chaps and chappies! :)

Thirteen-Twelve
28th Nov 2001, 23:06
I don't think I need a pulpit or am in danger of becoming another OCB and the low number of my postings bears me out on both points.

I must be on the fervent side of Christianity because along with the church I attended, was subject to a HQ P&SS investigation. I never said I must be right always but the mistress did open with a insult and openly attempted to rubbish my response

If I wanted to prove I was right I would mobilise the god squad (every station has one and you all know someone in it) - remember when the Snow Drops took exception to comments in this forum and truly hijacked a topic?

No, I simply thought that the mistress was using a valid question on a valid forum to take a pot shot at Christians in the military. No harm in taking a pot shot it happens to Christians all the time but if you are going to do it stay the distance rather than pretend it never happened when the incoming fire hits its mark. And, never remove the evidence as part of the denial - prove me wrong and get the original topic restored?

Hi to Danny - this is a topic about Christians in the military in the CONTEXT of killing whether in a FJ, chopper or whatever though aircraft aside, if you carry a pistol/rifle you might have to decide whether to use it or not one day as much as press a button to take a life/lives another way. I think this is a serious issue that is relevant not just to christians but everyone as someone previously suggested (I guess Budists have the Q & A all sewed up). You'll know if I am wrong because Danny will say he is deleting the topic.

Moggie as I said before, AP3392, Vol 5 has the answers and would expect other countries military have similar published guidance. Well worth a read.

1312 - not a secret but not what anyone guessed and not that interesting if I explained.

In these troubled times I think there is a valid question here worth serious debate and incidents including the Frog FJ that intercepted a civy jet proves the point just as much as the airline that was shot down by the Russians some years ago. Christians have a view on this whether in the military or not if you the only Christians you have met were religious bigots you need to look a bit harder (though sadly, perhaps, not at the station church).

The Bonk
28th Nov 2001, 23:18
Cool wet grass....cool wet grass...I am not a terrier....cool wet grass ....cool wet grass.... ;)

D-IFF_ident
28th Nov 2001, 23:45
'Fraid I missed the original thread. However, I thought I'd throw my opinions into the fray anyway. I'm assuming the debate should be about the place of the God Squad in the RAF? Then I have 2 opinions:

1. Religion is the single greastest cause of armed conflict since man learned to communicate. All those who have any religious beliefs need to evolve to the level of the rest of us.

2. Padres have an important role in the RAF; when they lose their faith then I hope we retain their services as Welfare Officers. Padres have awesome power - they can ground a pilot quicker than a doctor can.

I spent 2 years arguing a welfare case through 'the approriate channels', culminating in a ministerial enquiry from the then Armed Forces Minister; the impolite reply I received from a senior Naval Officer in Whitehall did not solve the problem. After a chat with the local Padre, the whole thing was sorted out in less than 24 hours. God bless 'em!

The Mistress
28th Nov 2001, 23:50
1312 - a QR?

1. I'm still here. I'm not running anywhere. How dare you even suggest otherwise.

2. You seem to feel that you are a victim. You've been the subject of an investigation. Snap. Try f*cking witch hunt, that would be nearer the mark! Try it TWICE and see how it feels.

3. Yes, I know my local God Squad only too well. I child minded for them for hundreds of hours. Fed their children - offered to take them out on outings etc - all for nought pounds and nought pence. I did it because I thought they were friends and neighbours. When I needed THEM they sh@t on me from a great height. D*x, *ng*s, R*b, you know who you are. I'll never forgive your deeds or your words because they are, simply, unforgivable.

4. My opening question seems to have offended you. After all you have said to me that's just tough sh*t.

5. My experience of spineless, pathetic excuses for human beings hiding behind Christianity extends beyond my local RAF Church to the Church in my local town and their associates.

I'm not too keen on a local Sci-Fi writer either. But there you go.

Unfortunately, I seem to have come across a large number of people who seem to have great difficulty in separating fact from untrue malicious gossip from half-baked anorexic idiots. Hey, but that's local, personal, and 1312 doesn't know what I'm talking about :)

Now, 1312, if you want the original topic restored, write to the Moderators and do it yourself.

Is that clear enough?

Yours with love and compassion TM

The Bonk
29th Nov 2001, 00:02
okay, I'll say it faster...cool wet grass....cool wet grass....cool wet grass...cool wet grass....cool wet grass...cool wet grass....cool wet grass...cool wet grass....

COOL WET GRASS......

The Mistress
29th Nov 2001, 00:19
Bonk

I love you.

I would offer to have your babies, except I've been neutered.

You are sensible. You are calm. You are reasonable.

Shame there aren't more like you around.

;)

KD
29th Nov 2001, 00:33
I think we can all take something away from this

1) Religion is the cause of more arguments than anything else.

2) Everyone has their own "thought belief" system which tends to be rigid and closed to discussion. It is not their belief that causes conflict but rather a lack of understanding by other people of their belief system. Bottom line ? Agree to disagree. It`s a deep psychological thory that can be explained with examples if needs be .

3) Cool wet grass solves everything . . .cept religious arguments.

Anyone fancy another Pint ?

The Mistress
29th Nov 2001, 00:42
Mine's a Pimms.

Cheers!

The Bonk
29th Nov 2001, 01:03
KD

So there isn't a pint of cool wet grass kicking around then? Sadly mate, you are right....otherwise I would be out there right now and bundling up all the soggy grass at the end of the garden and despatching it around the world to areas of trouble and strife!

TB :(

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: The Bonk ]

Thud_and_Blunder
29th Nov 2001, 01:34
Just to prove I can never get the point of all these deep and meaning(yuk)ful threads:

1312 used to be (still is?) the Albert element of the Falklands Gulag - lots of cool, wet grass there.

1310 was (in 1996 when I last went there) the wokka element in Bosnia. Which in winter time could also be very cool and wet, but I remember the low-cloud-covered-hills and pylons more than the grass. Must've been smoking the wrong stuff, then.

tony draper
29th Nov 2001, 01:51
How are we Satanists regarded in the military?, we are a misunderstood lot.
Do what thou wilt :eek:

DON-KIESDIK
29th Nov 2001, 02:55
Some of you f*****S must have nought better to do than bla bla bla all day!

Why aren't you out there fighting wars and killing terrorists?

I notice that "beagle" has recently stopped his massive number of posting now post numbers are no longer visible.

I am sure he's got something to say on the subject once he has no doubt spent more of the tax-payers money f*****G around on his office pc digging up obscure facts about regulations regarding the folding down of the "chip-hat" in inclement weather, etc.

I will not be bullied into silence by 1312 or by you. Nor should any other Pruner be squeezed out because they disagree with someone who chooses to be rude to them.

Are you a homosexual?

Speaking of homosexuals, where is "Cristopher-Robin"

It takes one to know one!

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: DON-KIESDIK ]

Mirkin About
29th Nov 2001, 05:32
Don-kiesdik , Tw*t.
Everyone else find a small grassy hill and roll down it ,fixes everything.
Although it will probably end up as a race between christians ,athiests, satanists (there ya go TD) etc . Sadly the amount of passion this issue raises will always have the same result .
I think I must have somthing wrong with me as I just can't raise a passion about somthing so intangible as religion even in a crowd in an evangelists tent as a child I was unmoved by the out pourings of the masses.
Mind you I have been haraunged by the God squad at work when they find out I am an Atheiest. Took to flying with a copy of the teachings of Buddha , The book of Mormon and The Gideons stuffed in my bag , that way I always had somthing for eveyone :)

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: Mirkin About ]

Alf Aworna
29th Nov 2001, 07:16
You Christian types seem really stressed out. If the wet grass isn't working you should try the Jedi way, its much more chilled out. As Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi once said: The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. Do. Or do not, there is no try. See its simple, who could go wrong? Its even a recognised religion in the UK!

MightyGem
29th Nov 2001, 08:34
You obviously fell for the "if enough people choose it on the census form it becomes official" story.
:D

BEagle
29th Nov 2001, 09:21
Donkey's penis - or whatever your name is - I'm not sure quite why I've invoked your wrath? Incidentally, I always wanted that stupid post-counting thing removed.

Regarding religion - private belief is one thing, ramming glazed-eyed 'born again Christian' rubbish down your mates' throats is quite another!

TM has some very valid points - one of the God squad to whom she refers took it upon himself to be the self-appointed censor at a couple of well known VC10 detachments and would throw away any 'girlie' mags (even FHM didn't escape his attention) and destroy any VHS tape with which He didn't find favour....
With ar$es like that around undermining morale, it's not surprising that the God squad get a rightly deserved bad press!

Incidentally, 1312 Flt is based in the Islas Malvinas and has a VC10 and a C130 on its strength. Both of which are NOT needed!!

DESPERADO
29th Nov 2001, 11:43
Don't want to be a pedant, but I believe that it was Yoda that said that Alf.

As for religion, don't really know, but as has been said it seems to get everyone hot under the collar. TM & 1312, think you should kiss and make up, I don't believe that either of you are @rses, therefore I can only conclude that there has been a misunderstanding of each others points of view (not trying to be patronising).

Myself, not really religious, but I can't help believing that if there is an almighty, it would not be happy with us fighting about its existence, or butchering and murdering each other over semantics. I can only conclude that humans (and males in particular) cause wars, not religion. Religion is just a convenient excuse, the underlying cause of war is human greed, whether that be for Power, Money, Oil, Territory or Physical Dominance.

Just a thought.

"and how can man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"

If Horatius could see us now. :eek:

D-IFF_ident
29th Nov 2001, 12:01
Just to be pedantic, 1312 currently has a VC10 and a Nimrod, neither of which are needed.

If the C130 returns next month, and Group get away with sending the J model they're trying to send then I guess the VC10 won't have to be a K any more? Or perhaps we can just have it back altogether and put jugs on the etc...

teeteringhead
29th Nov 2001, 12:07
Beags,
you are being far too modest about your prodigious (spelling??) output. Number of posts is STILL on your profile - for those too idle to look, Beags currently (290818 UTC NOV)has clocked up 3183 posts! Cor.

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: teeteringhead ]

Broadsword***
29th Nov 2001, 13:48
Not only is there no God, but try finding a plumber on Sunday.
-- Woody Allen

DON-KIESDIK
29th Nov 2001, 15:03
There's always one isn't there.

ANYTHING to get a reaction

.....just like a bad newpaper

PowerRanger
29th Nov 2001, 15:53
Gees Mistress - so much bitterness.

Let me try and make it real simple for you - if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen OK.

You started the thread, took some unpalatable incoming and then threw your toys around before bogging off home with the ball and a sense of humour failure.

Too bad.

Get off the bleeding heart bandwagon - nobody's that interested.

Just state your view and deal with the disagreements or keep it shut.

Better still - just grow up and stop being so repulsively offensive.

The Mistress
29th Nov 2001, 17:10
Gees Powerless

If you are soooo disinterested, why bother commenting at all?

Why don't YOU shut it, huh :)

I wasn't the one who started offensive comments. I wasn't the one who started the bleeding heart stuff. I wasn't the one who started throwing toys around. I was just demonstrating to 1312 that he's not the only one who had a tough break. That's fair!

If you are going to make criticisms - criticise the right person. Or are you just another male bully who gets a kick out of trying to shove a woman around?

You and the others who have made comments about "can't take the heat" seem to have missed the fact that I AM actually still here taking the heat - and holding my corner!

I didn't want this kind of stuff, on a thread started by me, getting up Danny's nose
As I said - if 1312 wants this kind of discussion he can have it, on HIS thread. I don't see what your problem is with that.

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: The Mistress ]

The Bonk
29th Nov 2001, 17:41
Cool wet grass....cool w.....buxxer...I've run out!! :) Anyone else have any good ideas? ;)

Tequilla slammer.....tequilla slammer...tequilla slammer....hey now we're going somewhere.....tequilla slammer.....tequilla slammer......everything looks so different now! :) ;) :)

The Mistress
29th Nov 2001, 18:07
Make those doubles, barman, and put them on my bill ;)

PowerRanger
29th Nov 2001, 18:38
Distress - sorry, Mistress er, minor point but this IS 1312's string!! :p

Also, I din't say you were the only one taking incoming but you are the only one getting quite so bitter and twisted about it!

Am I another 'male bully' blah, blah, blah.... ? :rolleyes:

So, no stereotyping there then eh Distress??? :eek:

However, if you will mellow long enough to rediscover your feminine side I will happily join you in a double or three. ;)

Just to demonstrate the answer to your question is a resounding no.

Some of my best friends are women!!! :D

X-QUORK
29th Nov 2001, 18:42
The original thread started off well and deteriorated into a slaggingfest, this one started off a slaggingfest and deteriorated into boring sh*te.

Can we get back to the original subject so that TM and 1312 can repair to their corners to fix teddy bears ? :rolleyes:

PowerRanger
29th Nov 2001, 18:51
My guess is both their Teddies are insurance write offs!

Along with their arguments!

:D :D :D

Flatus Veteranus
29th Nov 2001, 20:05
Suggested question for Wings ground exam:-

Comment on the attitudes of Flt Sgt Lambert, the Padre and Longfellow (the Intelligence Officer) in the following scenario:-

Scene: Main Briefing Room at a Lancaster station in WW2. Crews are leaving the room after a briefing for a raid on an industrial city in the Ruhr. Flt Sgt Lambert is captain of a crew nearing the end of its first tour. He is a fine piilot and captain, but is known to be bolshie. During the briefing he had asked the Station Commander what was the military significance of the target. Flt Sgt Digby is his (Oz) navigator.

"...All over the room men were giving last-minute warnings, greetings, advice and information to friends and strangers.

The Chaplain was a member of the Socialist Party and secretly regarded himself as a rather dangerous reformer. In his opinion this was why his bishop had been so keen to get rid of him into the Air Force. Compulsory church parades, some articulate atheists in the Officers' Mess and an inherited stutter had made his task harder than he'd expected. Still it was his duty to seek out the troubled and he found the man with the lined eyes who'd almost spoiled the whole briefing by disquieting his comrades.

"Are you troubled, Flight Sergeant?" he asked Lambert.

"Why doesn't the Church stop the war, Padre?"

The young chaplain had listened carefully to his archbishop, so, like the Intelligence Officer, he had the answer ready. "The war is due to the sin of mankind, including our own. And so we have got to do it and be penitent while we do it."

"So I'm the right hand of God, am I, Padre? I wonder if the Germans have padres telling them they are."

For one moment the padre's resentment and anxiety almost betrayed him into praying that he would not stutter. He did stutter: "I...I...I...hold the King's commission, Sergeant, and I'll ask you to treat me with the respect my u...u...u...uniform deserves."

"Come on, Skip," called Digby loudly. "We've got some killing to do." The padre glared at them both. Why should these men insult me, he thought; they know I can't stop the war?

"Pay no attention to them, Padre", said Longfellow. "They couldn't care less about decent people's feelings." ...Once Longfellow had hero-worshipped the young aircrew, but that was long ago during the Battle of Britain. That was before he encountered the arrogance that constant danger granted the young. "Intrepid birdmen," he said scornfully after all the birdmen were out of earshot.

From Bomber - Len Deighton. This little vignette was omitted from the excellent BBC radio dramatisation produced for the 50th anniversary of VE Day.

I suppose it is worth noting that the task of RAF padres is harder in some respects than that of RN and Army padres, who can share the dangers of the "sharp end".

moggie
29th Nov 2001, 20:06
I have to say that I think the original thread subject matter has been exhausted. To sum up (in my view):

Mistress has had a bad experience with a sh@t of a Padre who betrayed his vows.

1312 has had a bad experience with the authorities and overzealous "policing" of religious worship.

As a result, they both think the other is getting at them /which may or may not be true).

The rest of us think that:

a) religion is overrated or

b) that people overreact where religion is involved or

c) evangelical type worship is inapproporiate in the services or

d) that those who take their religion VERY seriously forget that other people are entitled to more moderate views and try to ram their own belief system down the throats of those who are not interested or

e)moderate religious worship/belief has it's place as a means of drawing personal strength in difficult times or

f)ORGANISED religion is the cause (excuse?) behind most of the war and misery in the world so that we would be better off without it or

g) all of the above!

Anyone have anything sensible to add (personal insults do not qualify as sensible!)

Capt PPRuNe
29th Nov 2001, 20:14
Give an inch and some of you take a mile. Well, despotic ruling #012 means that I am shutting this thread down and those of you who wish to duel with handbags at 30 paces can go and find a religious forum somewhere else.

Sorry, but when I start to get emails disturbing my peace because of threads that are not really about professional aviation then I take action. In this case I have the last word.
:rolleyes: