PDA

View Full Version : At what altitude is a stabilized approach required for ME operators?

in FACT is
24th Sep 2009, 15:38
A company in Middle East apply to their SOP that pilot have to be stabilized by 1000 ft AGL in VMC & IMC, reason is for the safety, while we all knew that the issue of stabilized approach by Flight Safety Foundation was 500 ft AGL in VMC and 1000 ft in IMC this was also use by Boeing & Airbus FCTM, I do believe that the Flight Safety Foundation made this issue with reason and with research ,maybe this is the optimum safety that they found after being study on this issue, or would otherwise airlines using standard stabilized approach at 500 ft AGL in VMC and 1000 ft AGL in IMC are less safe?? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gifand are stabilized at 1000 ft AGL is more professional consider traffic/fuel/efficiency. etc during final approach in IMC/VMC? :ugh:

1000 ft AGL really safe than Flight Safety Foundation has made a wrong recommendation:D

captseth
24th Sep 2009, 17:20
Flight Safety Foundation is just dandy for light aircraft, but air carriers (not all, BTW) have adopted 1,000' as the standard for VMC and IMC. Reference Southwest at Burbank, or again at MDW, for example. There are many others.

Marooned
24th Sep 2009, 17:38
EK's stabilization criteria are historic, or more to the point hysteric. After a number of unstable approaches a few years ago the desk pilots introduced a more restrictive limitation of 1,500 IMC and 1,000 AAL VMC.

So in the tradition of penalizing the many for the errors of the few we go-around because the landing check-list isn't complete @ 950' because we're afraid of the 'support' we'll get from the same desk pilots who'll want to discuss the subsequent GA.

The FOM used to be for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools. Here it's made by fools to be adhered to by otherwise wise men... or else.

shortfuel
24th Sep 2009, 22:31
EK's automation policy is hysteric...and they'll regret it in few years..but the current accountable managers will be gone by then...

As for the subject, let's face the facts: a bunch of clowns/cowboys (whatever you like) left no choice to our senior management but implementing more conservative stabilization height in VMC, who will blame them?
If you aim for fuel savings/efficiency, how about telling our colleagues that levelling at 2/3000 feet for 10 miles or more does not look very efficient. Some of them should really consider V/S knob use.

But even in this company, if you read your part A thoroughly, you are able to fly visual circuit and thus forget about the stabilization criteria at 1000' ;) (but not at 500!)...:ok:

Fly safe, drag well :)

Fart Master
25th Sep 2009, 02:29
Actually Marooned the EK stabilisation criteria is 1000' IMC & 500' VMC, with the 500' rule only being allowed if certain criteria are met by 1000'

The 1500' stipulation merely states that the gear has to be down and the landing flap selected.

I'm not sure I agree with their criteria being 'hysteric', maybe just a little overcautious

Smoozesailing
25th Sep 2009, 04:23
I am all for a higher stabilized height.

A lot of pilots see the stabilized height as a target just the same as how we try to get the LOC and G/S right in the middle. But having said that, there are a lot of pilots who actually fly 1/2 dot low/high, 1/2 dot left/right. Not because of some desire to do so, but just that that is the best we can do based on capability, environmental conditions, fatigue...etc.

If you set the stabilized criteria at 1000' IMC/500' VMC, (values set as the bare minimum by the FSF) the top 25% of pilots will be able to make them 90% of the time, 50% of pilots will be able to make them 70% of the time, and the bottom 25% will struggle to make it 50% of the time.

So an organization who has doubts that their pilots can make it by 1000'/500' might want to increase the limits to 1500'/1000' or 1000' across the board to take into account the lower performing pilots. No doubt this will be a source of irritation for the aces, but use this opportunity to transfer your skill/knowledge to the rest so that all can benefit.

If the organization sees an improvement in the overall statistics, maybe the criteria will change.

mensaboy
25th Sep 2009, 19:44
I have no gripe with the current EK mandated stabilization criteria. Apparently it works because the G/A's have dramatically declined over the past few years.

Keep in mind that EK flies big ass aircraft to some pretty dodgy airports with a wildly variable level of experience of pilots, so higher stabilization criteria are probably wise.

It is sometimes more challenging to fly stabilized into the larger airports due to speed constraints and traffic, but if they want a conservative approach to things, so be it.

145qrh
26th Sep 2009, 04:10
Makes for a much more relaxing job.

In the old days we had to be stable at minima, just about every approach was pushed to be stable as close to minima as possible :)..

Now it's a piece of piss , stable at 1000' ..no worries , my personal target is 1500' ...breeze, always leave myself some wiggle room:ok:

Qatari515
26th Sep 2009, 06:34
In these airlines with 65+ nationalities manning the flight decks I believe it is absolutely mandatory to have an all round 1000ft AGL stabilisation criterium.

Too many different backgrounds, cultures and personalities to do it otherwise. Combine this with large aircraft, dodgy destinations and high levels of fatigue and becomes very easy to see why this rule has been designed.

We saw as well a huge drop in the number of GA's as soon as this rule was set and I have to agree that, in all honesty, it makes live easy.
1000ft gives you a bit more safety margin, a bit more time. And it makes a possible GA much less stressfull than when performing it below 500ft AGL.

And for those pilots who realy feel they have to prove something flying wise, trying to be stabilised as close as possible by 1000ft is a nice target as well.

Ok, it costs our industry some fuel but in this case there is no question about it that these kgs are well spend. The pilots dragging it in 30Nm out at 2000ft on the other hand are the ones that should feel very guilty about spilling/wasting fuel!:ugh:

virgin camel
26th Sep 2009, 17:41
pointless post...
An airline will dictate their SOP and you follow it...
I really dont know what your point is...